Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 PM

3 posts, read 10,762 times

Advertisements

Hi there

My husband is currently going through an interview process for a job in thousand oaks, but I need more information.

Is this a good place to raise children? We have five. Also, what is the average rental costs for a four plus bedroom house, with plenty of space.

Is it purely suburban living, or are there small towns in the hinterland? I'm not massively keen on suburb living.

What are the living costs like there? We don't want to land over there and find that we are struggling financially. The agent told my hubby that salaries are lower in the USA than Australia (where we are currently living) and that 100k - 135k is what he should expect, and that this would be a good salary. Is it? He currently earns a lot more than that in Australia, but living costs mean it doesn't go terribly far.

Any advice at all would be welcome.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 12:28 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
I'm not sure about the average rental costs, but a 4+ bedroom home is going to be anywhere from around $2,800 to $4,000 depending on the details.

Thousand Oaks is one of the safest cities in the US of its size and has some of the best schools in the area, but it is a suburb of Los Angeles. You're not going to find small town living in the Conejo Valley (which Thousand oaks is a part of), its a fairly affluent part of the greater Los Angeles area. A household income of $100~$130k isn't high for the area, but its not low either. Enough to live comfortably, but not extravagantly.

No idea how the living costs compare to Australia, but other than housing the costs in Thousand oaks are fairly similar to other parts of the US.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 AM

Thanks for that reply. Wow, those rents are crazy. How commutable are other towns in the area? I have no idea of scale or distances, but could we live elsewhere and commute to thousand oaks?

Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Simi Valley is somewhat less expensive for rentals, very close by, and the schools are good. Camarillo is also not bad.

A nice advantage of T.O. is living within commuting range of Los Angeles in case the job doesn't work out. Being in proximity to the largest US city and its employment and cultural options, and yet enjoying a home life of extremely low crime, schools that have very high academic standards, and beautiful scenery, hiking trails and only 12 miles from the beach cannot be overstated.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:13 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiara72 View Post
How commutable are other towns in the area? I have no idea of scale or distances, but could we live elsewhere and commute to thousand oaks?
This all depends on how far you want to commute, but unless you want to commute long distances I would say the only options would be the two mentioned by the other poster. Both of those cities are different in a number of ways though, so you'd really have to visit each one to see whether the higher costs in Thousand Oaks are worth it to you.

Of course, there are the other cities within the Conejo Valley (Agoura Hills, Westlake Village, etc) but they aren't any cheaper. Generally speaking, it gets cheaper the further you get from Los Angeles so the cheapest community in the Conejo Valley is Newbury Park (its part of Thousand Oaks).

Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM

Thanks for that guys. Hubby is quite used to commuting, been doing it for years, so an hour would be acceptable.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM

74 posts, read 198,413 times
I grew up in Newbury Park (a division of Thousand Oaks) and it's a beautiful community. Although it's grown significantly in the past 20 years, Thousand Oaks is still a bedroom community, albeit a bustling one & traffic down the main freeway artery (101) is increasingly thicker. That said, schools are EXCELLENT & it's a great place to raise kids.

Housing - Rental prices for a nice 4-bedroom are going to run you $2500-3500... it may be worthwhile to consider buying, which - as I understand it - is a bit different from buying in Australia. Here you only put down about 20% & finance the remainder.

Salary - That's a tough question, really, because it depends on what your husband's actual occupation is. Thousand Oaks is an affluent community & the average family income, I would imagine, could not be less than six figures to live comfortably - especially with 5 munchkins! I would check one of the websites like salary.com to see if your husband's job description/offer is on par with the average for the area.

Areas To Live - I live in Simi Valley, which I love, however I am concerned about the middle & high schools. In T.O., you won't have to worry - the schools are highly rated across the board. Other nearby communities to consider are Camarillo, Moorpark (excellent schools), Newbury Park (a little community of its own), or for a more affluent area, Westlake Village (still a part of Thousand Oaks.

Schools - Two great online resources to scope out the area schools are schooldigger.com & greatschools.org. One item that might be of interest is that Newbury Park High School offers an international baccalaureate program, which would allow your kids to be eligible for university in Australia if they chose to return.

Recommendation - if you plan to purchase, I would purchase in Ventura County instead of L.A. County (half of Westlake Village, along with Oak Park & Agoura) are located in L.A. County, which equals higher taxes.

Good luck!!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmommie View Post
Although it's grown significantly in the past 20 years, Thousand Oaks is still a bedroom community
Hasn't grown much in population---per census---104,187 in 1990 to 126,683 in 2010---that's only up less than 23,000 people in 20 years, or about 1,100 people per year. That's slow growth for a city.

Also, "bedroom community" no longer fits T.O.---except for an airport, almost everything is locally available. It has its own city hall, entertainment center, multiple shopping centers with nearly all chain stores represented, restaurants, hospital and emergency room, DMV, police, Social Security office, medical clinics, banks, auto dealers, post offices, movie theaters, and city-run library.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Also, "bedroom community" no longer fits T.O.---except for an airport,
There used to be an airport, in fact, there used to be two of them:

Conejo Valley view looking west, 1930s. Moorpark road runs left and right. The road running east and west (perpendicular to Moorpark road) is Ventura Boulevard, later renamed Thousand Oaks Boulevard. The airstrip is the first Janss Ranch Airport (Conejo Valley Airport).

Later in 1952, Highway was constructed over it and the airport was moved a little south. In this photo, you can see the new highway, intersected by Moorpark Road, and to the far left, the new airstrip.

The other airport was about where Amgen is now:

Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: California - Ventura area

Old 11-24-2012, 05:44 PM

wOw. Never knew that! Thanks for the amazing pics, Charles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County