Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM

22 posts, read 67,854 times

Advertisements

Was looking at the overall Conejo, Moorpark, Camarillo geographic area (remotely) on Google Earth and Bing Maps, and struck by how barren most mountain areas look. Got to wondering if that is a seasonal or year round condition.

Looking in on 15787 Graduate Circle 93021 on Google broad areal view and then street view will show you what I mean.
Bing seems to show a different time of year, but barely more green close up. Its broad areal view shows considerably more green areas, but these change so abruptly to brown at some photo splices as to look artificial.

So, those of you who see these mountains year round:
1. Are they mostly brown and barren, or do they turn a lively green for a handful of months?
2. Are the conditions the same for the entire Conejo, Moorpark, Camarillo area, or do they vary with distance from the ocean, prevalent wind directions, etc.?
3. If varies, where do they tend to more green?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
They turn green for a few months during the rainy season. But in the draught times, they stay brown.

They are more green in the deeper slopes generally, although the grade over to Camarillo gets fog, so sometimes the elevation causes those hills to be green.

Camarillo except by the freeway is mostly flat. Moorpark is probably greener, but only by a little.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
nothing stays green for long anywhere in socal except for peoples' front/back yards. while much is brown, i wouldn't call it barren. some of the most beautiful landscapes i've seen are in the LA/Ventura area (rolling hills with chaparral and oak trees). you just have to learn to appreciate a different type of natural beauty.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 AM

22 posts, read 67,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
... you just have to learn to appreciate a different type of natural beauty.
Thanks. Do appreciate the 'sage' advice.
Hope to get the chance to learn.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:00 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
We can see the Sierra Nevadas from here when the smogs not to bad.

Mountains are mostly green, but along the roads trees seem to be dying out. I have attributed this to car exhaust fumes over time, but I'm not sure about that.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Chaparral stays a sort of dull green at all times as do the Coast Live Oaks and other various evergreen trees. The grass (which is non native European stuff brought inadvertently via Spanish livestock) sprouts in fall / winter with the rains and dies off every spring / summer (e.g. during the dry season).

Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 AM

74 posts, read 198,539 times
Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park tend to appear greener than Moorpark/Simi Valley because they have more dense, green undergrowth. On the surface, however, all the hills around these areas are brown in the summer/fall and year-round when there's light rainfall (which is most of the time).

As a Midwest transplant (I've lived here for 30 years now, so I'm used to it), it took awhile for me to become accustomed to the landscape, but it now holds a dear place in my heart. The drive up to San Luis Obispo is a good view of how I imagine the Conejo must have looked at one point in time before so much development cropped up. Rolling golden (not brown - haha) hills dotted with majestic, gnarled oaks... nothing quite like it when kissed by the sun's rays in the late afternoon or envelope by an early morning fog.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 AM

36 posts, read 112,325 times
Green means humidity or snow. It looks nice, but you pay the price in the winter or summer depending on where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County