Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:47 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
it is definitely not a retiree-friendly place
How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 02:44 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Though I am not that young in my 30's I am single and live in TO. Overall I like the area though it is expensive and I am thinking that is why it may not be retirement friendly? I have noticed and my neighbor who is retired said there is a lot of activities for senior. Though TO may be more family oriented I think singles who want a safe area, nice environment,near shopping/restaurants, a middle point between other major cities it is a nice place to settle.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:11 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Though I am not that young in my 30's I am single and live in TO. Overall I like the area though it is expensive and I am thinking that is why it may not be retirement friendly? I have noticed and my neighbor who is retired said there is a lot of activities for senior. Though TO may be more family oriented I think singles who want a safe area, nice environment,near shopping/restaurants, a middle point between other major cities it is a nice place to settle.
Yup, you hit it right on the mark.

People want a nice home in a low crime area, good public schools, high end shopping and dining options, parks and places to hike, and good paying jobs.

People are fine commuting to LA, Ventura, and Santa Barbara for more entertainment.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:42 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Someone in Thousand oaks really has no reason to go to Ventura or Santa Barbara for entertainment unless you're talking about the beach.

Thousand oaks isn't really that expensive when you compare it to similar areas across the country, its only expensive in relation to a podunk town in "middle-America". The dinning in Thousand oaks is terrible, there is shopping...but you can find that anywhere. The big positives for Thousand Oaks are its weather, its natural amenities, its proximity to Los Angeles and good public schools for those with children. Its a pretty good value compared to some of the other similar cities in the greater Los Angeles area.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Someone in Thousand oaks really has no reason to go to Ventura or Santa Barbara for entertainment unless you're talking about the beach.

Thousand oaks isn't really that expensive when you compare it to similar areas across the country, its only expensive in relation to a podunk town in "middle-America". The dinning in Thousand oaks is terrible, there is shopping...but you can find that anywhere. The big positives for Thousand Oaks are its weather, its natural amenities, its proximity to Los Angeles and good public schools for those with children. Its a pretty good value compared to some of the other similar cities in the greater Los Angeles area.
Thousand Oaks has:
-a mall w/ shopping and dining
-good jobs
-good schools
-low crime
-great climate and natural beauty (location)

That's what most Americans are looking at. Not all towns have malls, so towns without malls or a great downtown lack good shopping.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:19 PM

Cities the size of Thousand Oaks all have reasonable shopping....and its not like the shopping options in Thousand oaks are that great. Thousand oaks is has your typical stores that can be found throughout America.

What makes Thousand Oaks stand out is its climate,natural setting and proximity to Los Angeles.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Cities the size of Thousand Oaks all have reasonable shopping....and its not like the shopping options in Thousand oaks are that great. Thousand oaks is has your typical stores that can be found throughout America.

What makes Thousand Oaks stand out is its climate,natural setting and proximity to Los Angeles.
Not all cities Thousand Oaks size have malls or have reasonable shopping. Some stores you will only find in bigger wealthy cities like Whole Foods, Urban Outfitters, Gucci, Nordstrom's, Sak's, etc....

I live near San Luis Obispo right now, and we don't have a mall. But the downtown has some popular higher-end clothing stores like Urban Outfitters, Gap, Banana Republic, Express, etc....There is also a Whole Foods and some local high end restaurants.

But towns that just have a PacSun, Hollister's, Sear's, Macy's, Kohl's, and basic retailers loses it's fancy.

Whole Foods are found throughout America, but only in wealthy communities with a higher concentration with people with bachelor's degrees.

Last edited by the city; 06-20-2012 at 04:57 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 06:19 PM

140 posts, read 333,877 times
Love TO. Grew up there and would go back in a split second. Westlake is beautiful. The Oaks Mall has been there as long as I can remember. Like being close to the beach, miss Zuma and driving Kanan Road. It is a good choice for families.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 PM

51 posts, read 114,095 times
It's a great place to live, I've been here 13 years (since I was 13) and I really like it. There is open space here that has been preserved and that gives a scenic feel along with having a lot of places to shop.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I live near San Luis Obispo right now, and we don't have a mall. But the downtown has some popular higher-end clothing stores like Urban Outfitters, Gap, Banana Republic, Express, etc....There is also a Whole Foods and some local high end restaurants.
Like I said, "cities the size of Thousand oaks". There is nothing special about the shopping in Thousand Oaks, just your usual suburb stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County