Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 08:43 AM

7 posts, read 10,688 times

Advertisements

I am in Occupational Therapy school in Texas. I am planning to complete my fieldwork in Ventura in the summer/autumn of 2014. My son will have to begin first grade that year so I will have to (and I want to) settle down in Ventura. Does anyone know what is the situation in healthcare/rehabilitation/school therapy in the area? I have asked a friend of mine to look around, he said that Ventura seemed very affected by recession, it seemed very quiet and "bars and restaurants were empty, second hand stores were full".
Just to clarify, I have been to Ventura, I made a decision to move there before I started the school, I was just hoping, the area would recover before I graduate, or, at least, there would be plausible opportunities for OT. I am a single mum, so I want to make sure, I can make this work.
While I understand that no one can promise me I will find a job, but if anyone could describe the feel in healthcare field or give me some ideas about school districts (elementary), I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Jobs in SoCal, especially in Ventura County, must be looked into from both the County (not just the city) perspective, and from the commuting perspective (can go 30 miles each way easily). You MUST be willing to drive. People in Ventura city even drive the 50 miles for jobs in the San Fernando Valley (way more plentiful than Ventura County) or to northern Santa Barbara County or San Luis Obispo County.

Ventura city has 3 hospitals (1 County, 1 private, 1 psych) but elsewhere in the county, 4 more. Santa Barbara County has 3-4, too.

Most OT jobs want either a 4-year degree or a license, or both. It seems like most of the hospitals have at least one open position. Some may be non-benefitted (per diem), though.

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 02-23-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 06:42 PM

Thank you. Do you work in healthcare?

Old 02-23-2013, 09:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Until recently, yes.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:27 PM

230 posts, read 623,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ievaluna View Post
I am in Occupational Therapy school in Texas. I am planning to complete my fieldwork in Ventura in the summer/autumn of 2014. My son will have to begin first grade that year so I will have to (and I want to) settle down in Ventura. Does anyone know what is the situation in healthcare/rehabilitation/school therapy in the area? I have asked a friend of mine to look around, he said that Ventura seemed very affected by recession, it seemed very quiet and "bars and restaurants were empty, second hand stores were full".
Just to clarify, I have been to Ventura, I made a decision to move there before I started the school, I was just hoping, the area would recover before I graduate, or, at least, there would be plausible opportunities for OT. I am a single mum, so I want to make sure, I can make this work.
While I understand that no one can promise me I will find a job, but if anyone could describe the feel in healthcare field or give me some ideas about school districts (elementary), I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!
My Son in Law has been an OT for 2 years now, just out of grad school. He has had his pick of jobs and offers from all up and down the California Coast, Oregon, and Washington. The OT field continues to be in demand -- it's not like retail. People don't stop getting hurt, aging, or having surgery, in a recession.

As far as Ventura being filled with people shopping in thrift stores, I think your friend exaggerates quite a bit. The recovery has been going on along the West Coast for a few years. New businesses have started, and people are working again (as much as they can with the millions of jobs lost to overseas outsourcing.) As for Ventura County, quite a few projects were halted in 2008, during the height of the recession, like the large commercial project in North Oxnard that was to feature a Whole Foods Market. The project was completely halted. They resumed construction last year, and it's moving right along.

You've chosen a great field, as it's not something that can be outsourced. My Son in Law just accepted a job in Washington State (where he has family,) for $36.00 an hour, with a signing bonus, 2 years out of school. You will be fine wherever you choose to go.

Ventura has great schools, and a healthy lifestyle. The schools were good for my daughter, and I've found that schools are only as good as the parent and the student (unless the school is crumbling around them.) Lots of cute neighborhoods and tons of small independent businesses in Ventura. Your child will enjoy the moderate weather, and the beach, for sure.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 PM

230 posts, read 623,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Jobs in SoCal, especially in Ventura County, must be looked into from both the County (not just the city) perspective, and from the commuting perspective (can go 30 miles each way easily). You MUST be willing to drive. People in Ventura city even drive the 50 miles for jobs in the San Fernando Valley (way more plentiful than Ventura County) or to northern Santa Barbara County or San Luis Obispo County.

Ventura city has 3 hospitals (1 County, 1 private, 1 psych) but elsewhere in the county, 4 more. Santa Barbara County has 3-4, too.

Most OT jobs want either a 4-year degree or a license, or both. It seems like most of the hospitals have at least one open position. Some may be non-benefitted (per diem), though.
Most OTs start in skilled nursing facilities, or work in school districts, not necessarily a hospital. And those places are all around. There is no reason an OT who has completed their education and field work, would have to drive 2 hours for a job in SLO County.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:36 AM

Thank you-that is encouraging. I would love a school therapy job, I am doing my fieldwork in peds.
As far as neighbourhoods/districts in Ventura, do you know where elementary schools are better? I looked, it seems that there are some charter schools and even an open classroom-so excited about the choices-but, generally, are there places I should be staying away from? Am not a fan of manicured neighbourhoods, I love the authentic feel Ventura has preserved. Would it be plausible to settle closer to the main street?
Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County