Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:52 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
I don't care what kind of cars people drive, but diversity is very important and the lack of it here is a reason why we want to leave. We're very liberal and it would be great to meet like-minded people, but I certainly don't plan on limiting our friendships to our particular neighborhood.
Thousand Oaks is great for families, but it doesn't strike me as a very liberal place. It's more conservative in the way that most upper middle class suburbs are around the United States. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it might not be what you're looking for. If you're looking for that "California-Liberal" attitude, I would look more in LA County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
So I am browsing information online about Thousand Oaks, as I have heard it is a safe, nice

area. True? I'm looking at some real estate websites and it seems like the prices of homes have a huge range..the

lowest I've seen is $399k, the highest so far (and I'm sure it gets higher) is $17 mil. All in one area? Is that accurate?

We're on the edge of a neighborhood here like that, with a mix of houses ~$300k up to the millions, so it seems

believable to me (sorry, I'm really skeptical about reading things online!). Is the area overall safe, or are the cheaper

homes in a sketchier part? Are there apartments in the area, and are they decent (ie, no bug infestations, generally safe,

limited people into loud partying, etc)? We have a young son and we're set on homeschooling, so I'm not really

concerned about the schools in the area. Anything I should know about the area?

Thanks!
I didn't bother to verify the $399K, $17M numbers but they sound right. Thousand Oaks is huge as it extends from the Los Angeles County line to the east, the Conejo Grade to the West, the Norwegian Grade to the north and the Santa Monica Mountains to the south.
The homes in the lower price range are in older Thousand Oaks in the Greenwich Village section near Hillcrest and Hodencamp. With that, there are $1M+ horse homes within 1/4 mile. Lots of movie star types, sports types live there and there are tons of $10M+ homes.
The schools are amongst the best in the state. The sports leagues for kids and adults are well organized and community unifying. The weather is perfect. Add this up and that's why it costs $400+/sqft to live there.

Just about every year for the past ten or so years TO and Simi Valley (and Amherst, NY near Buffalo) take turns as #1 safest city in the US according to FBI stats.

You ask 100 moms where they'd rather raise their kids, Thousand Oaks or Studio City/Sherman Oaks, and 96 would say Thousand Oaks (and three of the four that said SC/SO are still groggy after recovering from some sort of augmentation surgery).

Last edited by Charles; 10-24-2007 at 04:04 PM..

Old 10-24-2007, 04:03 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Thousand Oaks has good food at Millies (breakfast) and Bandits (lunch/dinner). But you may run into people who's heroes are Ann Coulter, Marge Schott, Bo and Luke Duke, the Cartwright family on the Ponderosa and an affinity with country line dancing. Thats all Im saying.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:07 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
...........(and three of the four that said SC/SO are still groggy after recovering from some sort of augmentation surgery).
LOL. Charles is probably right about that one.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:27 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,955 times
Just for completeness.... and the Santa Monica Mountains to the south.

I'd have to agree with Charles here. I lived in Thousand Oaks for 20 years and for the most part grew up there. It is the place you want to raise your children and the place you want to grow old in. The late teen/early 20's demographic though usually wants to get out as much as possible. Mostly due to lack of bars/clubs/social activities that are important to people at that age. Thankfully, with the area's good schools, as Charles mentioned, most head off to good colleges about that time.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
Just for completeness.... and the Santa Monica Mountains to the south.
It was complete. I did write that.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
It was complete. I did write that.
Get a load of me... I read that three times thinking why did he leave out the mountains and didn't see it each time. Did you add that with your edit? Still can't imagine how I missed it.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
Get a load of me... I read that three times thinking why did he leave out the mountains and didn't see it each time. Did you add that with your edit? Still can't imagine how I missed it.

Nope. I last edited at 4:04 Mountain. You posted at 4:27 Mountain.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Nope. I last edited at 4:04 Mountain. You posted at 4:27 Mountain.
True but your last edit was after I started writing my response.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:47 PM

Nice shot of Thousand Oaks (Newbury Park section) with the snow capped Topa Topa Mountains in the far background. Looks like the Amgen campus in the foreground. View looking northwest.

//pics3.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles29783.jpg (broken link)

Below is the Conejo Valley Airport, view looking west. Today that runway is Los Robles golf course. In the center of the photo is the intersection of Moorpark Road and Thousand Oaks Boulevard (then called Ventura Boulevard).

Janss Mall 1965 view looking east

Similar view today from Google Earth

23 and 101 intersection under construction 1968 view looking north

Just east of Thousand Oaks, Lake Lindero and the 101 view looking east 1968

Lang Ranch in the far eastern end of town, on the street I used to live on during the Oct 2005 fire. Looking east.

Last edited by Charles; 10-24-2007 at 08:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County