Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:30 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
This thread has been really helpful! Thanks! We're looking for a place to buy a house and raise a family, and getting straight talk about west Ventura helps. I've still mostly written it off--even though it's much more affordable than anywhere else near downtown--if nothing else, the stigma will keep housing prices depressed and make re-selling difficult. It seems to have good potential to gentrify, but most of the focus seems to be on converting farmland to ugly strip-mall suburbia in East Ventura. Too bad, because West Ventura is so close to the downtown that's the soul of the town.

When we lived in Ventura, we would shop in West Ventura. Once we got a flat (tire) on the avenue and met some helpful locals. In the middle of the day on a weekend, it seemed fine, and we even looked at some new townhouses in the area. However, the proximity to the "Hobo Jungle" at Seaside Park is off-putting. Especially with my wife a SAHM and work being very far away. If I worked just down the street, it'd be a different story.

As was mentioned, I think we'll have to walk around on a Friday/Saturday night and see how the character of the neighborhood changes.

I think it's a fine place for the OP to rent, but I'm not sure about buying there. We've lived in much worse places, but always as short-term renters.

I'm still not really considering anything west of Eastwood Park.

The short walk to Main Street is great, though, as are the prices. I'd be commuting south on the 101, but the time difference for all the Ventura FWY exits is really negligible. West Ventura is closer to the good surf spots as well.
I think Eastwood Park is about the southeast corner of the area called "The Avenue" so you will be staying out of that section. I agree with you.

Throughout downtown there are some scattered houses, some mission style and some sort of Victorian. As you head east you get into midtown where the selection of houses greatly improves. But you are now a bit far for walking to downtown and the beach. Although it is an easy bike ride.

As you go east of midtown, it starts to get pretty much a typical suburban town.

Poli (pronounced POE-lie) and all points north are nice too. The views can get pretty good up in the hills. Again, you lose walkability the further north of Poli you go and for many, it is not easy bicycling either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 05:37 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
I'd love to live in the downtown bloc defined by the 101, Poli/hills, The Avenue, and the dog park, but there's very little for sale in this area, and what's there is out of my price range. Most houses are 700K+. Townhouses are more within reach, but they're hard to find.

The second option is to live in the suburban neighborhood between the Pacific View Mall and the Dog park. Prices are a little better, though it is a long walk- 1.2 to 2 miles (short bike) to downtown. East Ventura is just too far and too boring. I might as well live in Woodland Hills or Simi.

I wish West Ventura was an option, but I don't feel good about leaving my family alone there. It would be fine if we're all together, and I think the OP should be ok renting there.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:24 PM

241 posts, read 713,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I'd love to live in the downtown bloc defined by the 101, Poli/hills, The Avenue, and the dog park, but there's very little for sale in this area, and what's there is out of my price range. Most houses are 700K+. Townhouses are more within reach, but they're hard to find.

The second option is to live in the suburban neighborhood between the Pacific View Mall and the Dog park. Prices are a little better, though it is a long walk- 1.2 to 2 miles (short bike) to downtown. East Ventura is just too far and too boring. I might as well live in Woodland Hills or Simi.

I wish West Ventura was an option, but I don't feel good about leaving my family alone there. It would be fine if we're all together, and I think the OP should be ok renting there.
I will update you after I get there. My lease starts June 15, but I likely won't be up there full time until the end of the month. I am excited about living in a smaller area that is so close to everything I enjoy and with so many different areas a close drive away.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:24 PM

7 posts, read 8,945 times
Interesting that no one has mentioned that the #33 parallels a major earthquake fault line and is the direct path of the "100-year flood" zone. Caveat emptor.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
Is this bad? It's not like the patients are walking around the neighborhood (I assume)?
well, yes. Unfortunatley.

I would not move to that part of town myself.

I lived on Poli, right across from City hall. Just about a mile west (if that) is the Vons shopping center.

Things are already dicey right there as it serves the 'west side'

I've never been scared in Ventura except for that parking lot, and over by the Von's on Seaward. Lots of homeless, vagrants and on the west side moreso....gang types.

I saw a fight in that parking lot and could not get out fast enough. Sometimes I rode my bike over there cause it was close and i always felt it was pretty darn sketchy and was nervous leaving my bike outside there, constantly panhandlers there and not the nice kind.

you can find decent rentals (if you try) in nicer parts of town. I would go closer to downtown myself. maybe I'm a woman so found it more uncomfortable, but a lady friend might not want to come visit you either

Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
rgb, I'll bite, "Already getting to know the T.O. Police dept?" ?????

Old 06-14-2013, 01:52 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
ha. funny story.

I haven't changed that in two years....and its well timed for this thread actually.

I was moving here from Washington state. I'm originally from Chicago though so no stranger to big cities.

When I visisted Ventura for my interview I was a little concerned because it seemed a bit "rougher" than I imagined and wasn't expecting so many homeless in a smaller town, nor such a gang presence (it just really stands out when you are used to white bread washington). I hardly take note now... but at first? and I've talked to other transplants who agree.

anyway, I figured I'd move to TO first since everyone told me it was safer, and I figured I could adjust to the area and figure out where I really wanted to live, even though I wanted to be closer to the ocean.

Well, the first night I spent in my new, supposedly nice apartment, my car was broken into INSIDE the secure parking garage, which also had an elevator directly to our apartments. Stole my car registration , everything....which I needed because I work on a navy base and didn't have my car decal yet. I had to walk onto base for 3 weeks and had trouble getting my car registered cause I had to get duplicates sent from WA....argh.

anyway, I moved to Ventura figuring TO wasn't any safer, I moved in less than 30 days. I didn't feel comfortable in that apartment complex anymore and liked ventura better anyway.

I did meet with two nice gentlemen from the police department who acted like it was unsual.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
rgb, thanks for sharing. Glad you're in a good place now!

Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
well, yes. Unfortunatley.

I would not move to that part of town myself.

I lived on Poli, right across from City hall. Just about a mile west (if that) is the Vons shopping center.

Things are already dicey right there as it serves the 'west side'

I've never been scared in Ventura except for that parking lot, and over by the Von's on Seaward. Lots of homeless, vagrants and on the west side moreso....gang types.

I saw a fight in that parking lot and could not get out fast enough. Sometimes I rode my bike over there cause it was close and i always felt it was pretty darn sketchy and was nervous leaving my bike outside there, constantly panhandlers there and not the nice kind.

you can find decent rentals (if you try) in nicer parts of town. I would go closer to downtown myself. maybe I'm a woman so found it more uncomfortable, but a lady friend might not want to come visit you either
I'm a guy with a law enforcement background who grew up in the ghetto back East. I've lived in Ventura since February (midtown area).

That Vons and the apartment complex behind the shopping center (Olive Street Apartments) seem to be the worst part of Ventura from my experience thus far. Not as bad as what you see in Cleveland or LA but I avoid it if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County