Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:57 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,290,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
That Archstone was built in 2002. There's a newer one in Agoura Hills, I think 2006.

For $2400, you can get 2009 in T.O., but this one is rare:
3250 Foothill Drive Unit: 1, Thousand Oaks, CA 91361 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

But, not much newer anywhere around. Ventura County has limited growth. But the weather is what you seek.

Remember that those more recent years were an economic paralysis for this area and the country in general! Not a lot of building happened in those years.

T.O. is a planned community, so development was limited. Since home prices are still pretty high, the rental market is pretty saturated and overpriced.

I agree that rb had some bad Karma. Were you at the Westlake IMT when that happened? I heard about a massive car break in over there a few years back. its still a seedy place, ask me how I know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Will reinforce what was already answered:

1. Most dating is online. If you want clubs, Ventura is better. Westlake Village has a small upscale dining/bar scene, Agoura Hills skews younger. The Canyon Club there is a cool venue: The Canyon Club - Concert and Event Center - LA Tickets - Home
H-wood and Santa Monica are still well within driving distance for bars/clubs, but you might want to stay with friends down there or you have to deal with the hour drive back which isn't a good idea if you've been partying.

There were a couple clubs around here that were reliably good for a couple years but then inexplicably they just fizzled out. The younger college crowd seems to like Borderline but its country music.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 PM

581 posts, read 2,297,846 times
I cruised craigslist and realtor.com for rentals. No luck.
All I really need is a super nice 800-900sqft 1BR.

Archstone Simi Valley is like what I am looking for:

But it gets really hot in Simi Valley. Is there anything like this in Thousand Oaks,
Newbury, Westlake, Agoura Hills? I am guessing these 4 areas all have much
milder temps than Simi Valley.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,964,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborEastGuy View Post
I cruised craigslist and realtor.com for rentals. No luck.
All I really need is a super nice 800-900sqft 1BR. Is there anything like this in Thousand Oaks, Newbury, Westlake, Agoura Hills?
Did you check Archstone Agoura Hills? I have 2 friends that live there, and they like it.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:48 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,314,379 times
all the Archestone's are pretty comparable. There are 3 in Thousand Oaks and all of them are decent. My experience with Archestone is just that -- they buy land in the not-so-greatest parts of town (this might just be a California thing in terms of where the apartments go...)

I wouldn't move to Simi Valley thinking one Archestone is particularly nicer than another. They are too similar. Oh and yes there is a couple in Agoura Hills and the one off Kanan Rd. (I think it is) is all fancy schmancy.

http://www.avaloncommunities.com/cal...ap-directions/

Old 10-10-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
all the Archestone's are pretty comparable. There are 3 in Thousand Oaks and all of them are decent. My experience with Archestone is just that -- they buy land in the not-so-greatest parts of town (this might just be a California thing in terms of where the apartments go...)

I wouldn't move to Simi Valley thinking one Archestone is particularly nicer than another. They are too similar. Oh and yes there is a couple in Agoura Hills and the one off Kanan Rd. (I think it is) is all fancy schmancy.

Archstone Oak Creek Apartments Map and Driving Directions | Archstone Apartments
I think the Archstone on Hillcrest is now called Eaves and I wouldn't call it super nice but it certainly isn't bad either. You used to also be able to transfer to different Archstone complexes but now some of them are changing names and limiting transferability.

Simi Valley definitely has a different demographic but it really is all about what a person wants. Living anywhere is about compromise and priorities.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:55 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,314,379 times
yeah I remember checking out that one on Hillcrest when I first moved. It seemed a lot older. I moved into the one (for about 2 weeks, lol) that is on conejo school road.

It was just ok. The pool and hotub was nice. the apartment was small but clean. nice balcony. My beef with the place was the surround area -- not the nicest part of TO though walking distance to "kind of downtown TO" you know that civic center and mall area (Pf changes, etc). Though, I felt weird walking there because everyone else was driving.

yes, this is the place that my car was broken into the first night, in the secured parking garage.

The staff was extremely apologetic and let me move out and refunded my security and I believe if I remember correctly even the portion of my rent that was paid for when I wouldn't be there anymore.

I really was creeped out by parking garage after that...I had to get my car registration replaced and everything ...

and yeah I'm not sure what is up with this "Avalon communities" thing now.....it was Archestone when I lived there.

http://www.avaloncommunities.com/cal...nd-oaks-plaza/

hmm looks like Avalon took over this property sometime in april-ish

http://www.yelp.com/biz/archstone-th...housand-oaks-2

Old 10-11-2013, 05:33 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,795,836 times
When I moved to Thousand Oaks I looked at all the apartments in the area. I ended up living in Westlake Canyon apartments in Thousand Oaks and I am super picky but thought they were pretty nice. Many are remodeled inside and it is a smaller community which is nice to me. I had a mountain view as well. The lady who runs the office is very helpful and any problems I had were fixed quickly. I like the area better then where the Archstone are because Westlake Canyon is in area with other homes rather then in the middle of businesses.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
yeah I remember checking out that one on Hillcrest when I first moved. It seemed a lot older. I moved into the one (for about 2 weeks, lol) that is on conejo school road.

It was just ok. The pool and hotub was nice. the apartment was small but clean. nice balcony. My beef with the place was the surround area -- not the nicest part of TO though walking distance to "kind of downtown TO" you know that civic center and mall area (Pf changes, etc). Though, I felt weird walking there because everyone else was driving.

yes, this is the place that my car was broken into the first night, in the secured parking garage.

The staff was extremely apologetic and let me move out and refunded my security and I believe if I remember correctly even the portion of my rent that was paid for when I wouldn't be there anymore.

I really was creeped out by parking garage after that...I had to get my car registration replaced and everything ...

and yeah I'm not sure what is up with this "Avalon communities" thing now.....it was Archestone when I lived there.

Archstone Thousand Oaks Plaza Apartments in Ventura County |Archstone Apartments

hmm looks like Avalon took over this property sometime in april-ish

Archstone Thousand Oaks Plaza - Thousand Oaks, CA

Perhaps the burglar was some wayward drunk from Tipsy goat? j/k That's good the staff honored their 30 day back guarantee though.

Ironically, the worst apartments I've lived in this area was one in Westlake. Some of the people living there were pretty slimy and the maintenance was slloooww. Since the appliances were so old, they broke constantly.

Didn't know about the TO plaza one. Its always entertaining to read the five star reviews which are clearly written by the apartment staff though!

Old 10-12-2013, 12:49 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,003,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I like the area better then where the Archstone are because Westlake Canyon is in area with other homes rather then in the middle of businesses.
Yeah, similar situation with some complexes in the Westlake/Oak Park area around Lindero and Kanan.

Also, as for as upgrades go, some of the older complexes are slowly upgrading their units so you can often find upgraded units in these complexes even-though most of the units may not be upgraded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County