Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 AM

62 posts, read 116,945 times

Advertisements

I am moving from IN to Ventura county ,I ll be working in Oxnard downtown
I am open to any area around ,with 20-30 minutes commute ,I just need to know which area has better air quality and flow ,that is very important to reduce my allergy
thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 11:00 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
It depends on what you're allergic to. Oxnard has a lot of agriculture and crop spraying; Oxnard, Port Hueneme and Ventura along the ocean have more dampness/molds; inland areas like Santa Paula and Fillmore have more trees and flower farms; dry valley areas like Ojai, Thousand Oaks, Moorpark, and Simi Valley have more dust and smog.

Here's a list (by season) of local allergens:
Local Significant Allergens for Ventura County, California in Spring Season

Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 AM

I can`t thank you enough Mr. Nightlysparrow ,that was very helpful ,
I am actually allergic to dust ,
I am staying away from the Valley Area then ,and looking in Ventura /Oxnard

Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 PM

233 posts, read 380,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allergyvictim View Post
I am moving from IN to Ventura county ,I ll be working in Oxnard downtown

Where is Downtown Oxnard are you going to be working at? I'm just curious...

Old 12-03-2013, 08:01 PM

lol you got me on this one
I am not yet familiar with the area ,when I did my visit to the site ,I thought it is in downtown
I am physician ,I ll be working at St John`s Hospital

Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 PM

233 posts, read 380,369 times
Quote:
I am not yet familiar with the area ,when I did my visit to the site ,I thought it is in downtown

Downtown Oxnard is like 2.5 miles southwest of St. Johns. Congrats on your new job at St. John's...

Old 12-06-2013, 10:17 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
I am a life long area resident and love Oxnard, Ventura, and Port Hueneme. Normally the airflow within the Oxnard plain, (That includes Oxnard, Port Hueneme, Ventura, and Camarillo)has a breeze heading towarrd the ocean during the morning hours and a breeze heading inland during the afternoon and evening hours. It does help with the sailing in the area though. What that does is help to keep the area sonwhat free of dust. About the time where you will notice a problem is when the Santa Ana winds come thru from the east. Then it can be very windy and for you not so fun. Fortunatly that is maybe once a year for a week or two. Most of the year we are a mild weather place.

Although not a Physician I do work at Community Memorial Hospital. What is your dicipline? Are you planning on having priveledges at other area hospitals? We are building a new 325,000 square foot replacement hospital in Ventura right now. It will be completed in early 2015.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:54 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
I find the air in Ventura and Oxnard very close to the beach is best....its humid enough your skin doesn't dry out (or your lungs...) and the air always feels fresh.

Except, as mentioned during the Santa Ana's...but there is no escaping that really and during those I'd still rather be close to the beach. I think the air in Ventura near the beach is a little better though as its not usually downwind of all the agriculture.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am a life long area resident and love Oxnard, Ventura, and Port Hueneme. Normally the airflow within the Oxnard plain, (That includes Oxnard, Port Hueneme, Ventura, and Camarillo)has a breeze heading towarrd the ocean during the morning hours and a breeze heading inland during the afternoon and evening hours. It does help with the sailing in the area though. What that does is help to keep the area sonwhat free of dust. About the time where you will notice a problem is when the Santa Ana winds come thru from the east. Then it can be very windy and for you not so fun. Fortunatly that is maybe once a year for a week or two. Most of the year we are a mild weather place.

Although not a Physician I do work at Community Memorial Hospital. What is your dicipline? Are you planning on having priveledges at other area hospitals? We are building a new 325,000 square foot replacement hospital in Ventura right now. It will be completed in early 2015.
Thank you for you the great input and detailed explanation ,
I was born and raised in Lebanon which has identical weather to Ventura,never had any allergy issues, came to Chicago, I lived at the lake, the breeze was very soothing, all of my troubles started when I moved to IN, where I lived in a valley area for 4 years, went though dozens of tests and therapies, no cure, then decided to leave the area, but since I am moving I said lets make it count and move to an area which feels like home ,so here we are, in Ventura .
My specialty is Internal Medicine, at this time not planning to get privileges somewhere else ,but thank you for offering

Old 12-06-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I find the air in Ventura and Oxnard very close to the beach is best....its humid enough your skin doesn't dry out (or your lungs...) and the air always feels fresh.

Except, as mentioned during the Santa Ana's...but there is no escaping that really and during those I'd still rather be close to the beach. I think the air in Ventura near the beach is a little better though as its not usually downwind of all the agriculture.
Thank you sir for the advice !
All the contributions in this post are much appreciated ,
I am definitely going to buy either in Oxnard or Ventura ,and hopefully close to the beach .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County