U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,828,609 times

Advertisements

I did T.O. (actually Westlake technically) to Santa Monica for some time. If you go 101S / Las Virgenes / Lost Hills / PCH S / to the 10 you can expect about an hour commute if you leave prior to about 6:50 AM. Traffic gets heavier with every passing minute. It really is a beautiful drive, though. Don't get caught off guard though, as people have been known to drive off the edge. I haven't done a commute to Burbank.

The air quality in T.O. is better relative to the LA basin certainly, but it isn't as pristine as a remote area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 12:20 AM

6,267 posts, read 13,679,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Hi Derek,

Hope you and your family are well. We have actually been back to NorCal for almost 2.5 years after a 2 year (to the day!) stint in Chicago for my husbands career. We are in the East Bay, but we still prefer the climate of SoCal after living in San Diego for 10 years, but schools are priority which is why we have been considering Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, Calabasas and the areas surrounding Laguna Beach and Laguna Nigel this time (we are trying to stay coastal for air quality). I hear what you are saying about quality of life being closely tied to commute time in SoCal and I agree wholeheartedly, but there aren't many jobs for DH down there which is why we find ourselves trying to figure out where to live within commutable distance from Santa Monica, Burbank, Irvine and Tustin. We have always avoided OC because of the political reputation, but that is less important now that our kids are school aged and safety/excellent public schools/air quality has trumped our need to be near like minded people (I can hear Charles gloating now. )
Hi,

I didn't realize you guys came back that soon after moving to Chicago! I know there were some things you liked about that location. And while in Santa Cruz you weren't thrilled with some of the things going on there.

Yes, I can hear Charles laughing as well. That's where he ended up and it is really nice down there, including the warmer weather.

We've been in Monterey now for ~ 5.5 years and still really enjoy it. So I can't say were looking for a move. But with family in SD I'd be lying if I said we haven't considered going back there some day. It's just hard when there are so many things we love around Monterey/Big Sur. The biggest gain for us would be the warmer Summers including the ocean temps. I'm teaching my son to surf now and our girls are bodyboarding. They all have wetsuits and can't imagine the water being warm enough to go in with just a swimsuit. The second potential gain would be the option to own our own home. Here in Monterey the inventory is extremely limited to overpriced, older, smaller properties in the nicer areas to somewhat affordable homes in questionable areas. In SoCal there is just more inventory. Sure, it may not check every box. But if you can find a nice home in a safe neighborhood with good schools it's not bad at all. I guess you guys are changing somewhat in that regard. We all make sacrifices for our children while some of the nice to haves become a little less important.

Derek

Old 01-25-2014, 04:26 PM

961 posts, read 2,329,510 times
Yes, there were things we liked about the Chicago area for sure, but life is too short to deal with weather like that. And yes, Santa Cruz wasn't a great fit for our family. Not only is the gang violence and drug scene getting worse, but the schools are struggling.

We do make sacrifices for our children that is for sure. When they come into the picture, every decision is made with them as a consideration. It used to be easy to pick a place to live, but now schools, crime and air quality are the biggest factors.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:33 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,828,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Yes, there were things we liked about the Chicago area for sure, but life is too short to deal with weather like that. And yes, Santa Cruz wasn't a great fit for our family. Not only is the gang violence and drug scene getting worse, but the schools are struggling.

We do make sacrifices for our children that is for sure. When they come into the picture, every decision is made with them as a consideration. It used to be easy to pick a place to live, but now schools, crime and air quality are the biggest factors.
Unfortunately, it seems as though places that meet these three criterion are getting harder and harder to find, no matter where you are in the country!

Old 01-28-2014, 11:07 PM

961 posts, read 2,329,510 times
Agreed, and when you find a place like that, it comes with a hefty price tag.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 726 times
I just discovered this thread. It's super helpful since I find myself in a very similar situation to the original poster.

Considering moving to SoCal for work, Burbank in particular. Have two school age kids. Great school and minimum commute time are the priority. Thinking about Woodland Hills, Calabasas area. TH seems to far for me. I'm also really considering Burbank. Do Burbank schools even compare? I find it hard to tell from the online research that I have done.

I lived in Santa Monica for 6 years but that was 15 years ago and I had no kids. I definitely remember LA traffic and know I want to deal with as little of it as possible ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County