Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:03 PM

8 posts, read 10,935 times

Advertisements

Considering job offer, very excited and so confused where to live. Prefer a place with some non-marrieds, interesting non-chain restaurants & coffee shops, safe and, if possible, no more than 30 minute drive to Valencia/Santa Clarita. Ventura sounds great, but assuming drive is way too long. I love the idea of a walkable downtown. Not a party-er but love going out and love hiking. Lots of posts on here about great schools, etc. but what about areas appealing for a 22 y.o female. I thought Chicago was expensive, but I think I am in for a shock. At least heating bills will be lower. Any suggestions what city? What price range for 2BR rental house or apt? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Pasadena would be a better bet than Ventura, as it's a straight shot down the big freeway. The trek from Ventura to Valencia on the tiny, twisty, dangerous, full of agriculture trucks, Highway 126 is not easy.

Pasadena has personality and is great for people your age.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Pasadena would be a better bet than Ventura, as it's a straight shot down the big freeway. The trek from Ventura to Valencia on the tiny, twisty, dangerous, full of agriculture trucks, Highway 126 is not easy.

Pasadena has personality and is great for people your age.
Been a while since you been on the 126 I guess. The 126 is a four lane highway that is nothing like it was decades ago. Ventura is about 45 miles from Valencia and Pasadena is about 35 miles from Valencia so Pasadena is closer. Still the 126 is a nice and easy drive from Ventura to Valencia.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Been a while since you been on the 126 I guess. The 126 is a four lane highway that is nothing like it was decades ago. Ventura is about 45 miles from Valencia and Pasadena is about 35 miles from Valencia so Pasadena is closer. Still the 126 is a nice and easy drive from Ventura to Valencia.
About a year ago. Are there no more stoplights?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
About a year ago. Are there no more stoplights?
Well one stop light at Santa Paula and a few in Fillmore. But that is not what you stated in your post. You said it was a tiny twisty dangerous, full of ag trucks, and that 126 is not easy. That may have been the case years ago, back then it was a 2 lane devided highway. The Ventura County side was widened a long time ago. The Los Angeles county sections have been widened as well and it is a four lane highway. Not sure now why the trucks would be a problem. Last I heard trucks drive on the 5 as well.

I am not disputing the fact that Pasadena is closer to Valencia. That is a fact. It is also a fact that plenty of people work in Ventura that live in the Valencia area and plenty of people work in the Valencia area that live in Ventura. Here at the Hospital I know 4 people that live in Valencia that work here. I know another that lives in Castaic that works here. They all drive the 126. All of them say that they can make that trip in about 45 minutes. One thing is for sure that it is not as packed as the 5 would be. Also that is an amazing stretch of land with spectacular views. What a way to start and end a day, with a view.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:25 AM

Thanks for your suggestion about Pasadena and clarifications about the commute.

Soon2BNsurprise: Is the commute from Ventura to Valencia slower than the 45 minutes the other direction?

I'm looking at housing prices (maybe my parents would move here, too) and am in shock. Are the salaries twice as high in LA area? Gas prices are higher, housing seems 2-3X what it is in our suburb of Chicago. How do people do it?

Old 01-23-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyknowsthefoxvalley View Post
I'm looking at housing prices (maybe my parents would move here, too) and am in shock. Are the salaries twice as high in LA area? Gas prices are higher, housing seems 2-3X what it is in our suburb of Chicago. How do people do it?
With a quick look, it seems like the St. Charles property taxes on a $300K home are around $8K a year. Give or take a little, that's what houses that cost $775-$800.K pay in California for property taxes.

And the year-to-year percentage for the future is FIXED, unlike IL which keeps raising the percentage rate. This feature is nice for people over time.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion about Pasadena and clarifications about the commute.

Soon2BNsurprise: Is the commute from Ventura to Valencia slower than the 45 minutes the other direction?

Travel time is about the same either way. The 126 just is not as impacted as other roadways.

You may want to do a cost of living comparison. They do have calculators on line that can show the differance in cost between Chicago and the LA metro area. Ventura is on the coast and prices may be high because of that as well. Other things to consider are that you may spend more in utilities in both Pasadena and Chicago than you will in Ventura. Hear on the coast our household cooling system is the Pacific Ocean. Inland is a much differant story. Not sure what they would pay in Pasadena for Eletric or gas but I pay about $35 for Electric and $33 or so for gas each month. That is for a 4 bedroom 3 bath home with 5 kids on the coast. I could see you using the AC in your car in Valencia but not needing it once you get into the Ventura area.

Gasoline cost probably more in California than any other state. We also have a Freeway system. You pay for the roads in the form of a gas tax, but you don't have to use a toll road to get anywhere. We do have toll roads but that is a choice for someone to drive on them.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:18 PM

156 posts, read 404,327 times
Quote:
Considering job offer, very excited and so confused where to live. Prefer a place with some non-marrieds, interesting non-chain restaurants & coffee shops, safe and, if possible, no more than 30 minute drive to Valencia/Santa Clarita. Ventura sounds great, but assuming drive is way too long. I love the idea of a walkable downtown. Not a party-er but love going out and love hiking. Lots of posts on here about great schools, etc. but what about areas appealing for a 22 y.o female. I thought Chicago was expensive, but I think I am in for a shock. At least heating bills will be lower. Any suggestions what city? What price range for 2BR rental house or apt? Thanks in advance!
id suggest stay in the santa clarita valley.

price for 2br 1200 and up.there are some nice townhomes around copper hill.nice walking trails,parks,shopping close.easy access to I5 to go anywhere.lots to do and nothing too far.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 PM

Thanks Cabguy. Rents sound reasonable. Wondering if it would feel too remote and suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County