Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,142 times

Advertisements

(I rent a room) So my landlord has just recently come back from a 3 week long vacation in Mexico, He told me he was going to mexico and thats all. He came back on the 20th of February with a new wife and a kid. Kids and familys have never been my thing and cause me a little bit of stress when i have to be near them so often. My landlord did not inform me of anybody moving in or living with us at all. He has also taken a lot of food from me without asking or permission, I have confronted him multiple times about it and tried multiple things to stop it, but now since he has a new family they have been taking my food as well. Now I have had to spend rent money on getting more food so I can eat, and now I dont have enough money to pay rent because my landord kept taking my food. My question is, can I take any sort of legal action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 05:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Contact an attorney
Let the attorney read your lease
Move

What your landlord does is really none of your business and since the landlord owns the property and you rent what you like or dislike really doesn't matter.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,142 times
I thought that if there were changes to housing situations or new people/tenants moving in the landlord had to notify you with at least 30 days notice?

Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Everyone is just guessing at this point.

All depends on your rental agreement and applicable law.

That said... sounds like it's no longer working for you and time to pull up stakes and find something more to your liking.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:02 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Contact an attorney
Let the attorney read your lease
Move

What your landlord does is really none of your business and since the landlord owns the property and you rent what you like or dislike really doesn't matter.
totally not true. It all depends on what is in the lease.

And I highly doubt taking his/her food is in the lease lol

Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Renting a room takes the landlord/tenant relationship to another level.

It almost reads like separate issues.

One is the room being rented and what is and is not included.

Other items like missing food would seem to be separate and might rise to the level of theft... of course proving a criminal activity is another thing.

If the OP wants to leave... then, I would lump it all together.

If the OP wants to stay... just present the responsible party with a formal written bill and an opportunity to make you whole... even small claims requires a formal demand and opportunity to remedy prior to scheduling a court date in my experience.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
How do you prove who owns the food in a common refrigerator or Kitchen?

Maybe the OP would consider keeping food that does not need to be refrigerated in the room that is being rented. Maybe even getting a small frige. They have them at Walmart for I think $99.

As far as your lack of money, have you considered a second job?

Old 03-30-2014, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,656 times
I believe under California law you have essentially no rights as a room renter. Time to move.

I moved into a place and suffered through a year and a half of the owner bringing street boys home to have sex. I finally moved out and he seemed shocked that I had noticed. lol

Old 08-07-2014, 06:00 PM

13 posts, read 22,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_dreamer View Post
I believe under California law you have essentially no rights as a room renter. Time to move.

I moved into a place and suffered through a year and a half of the owner bringing street boys home to have sex. I finally moved out and he seemed shocked that I had noticed. lol
So true.
You just mentioned why passive aggression in California is not for the weak of heart.

They have contests to see how raunchy, stupid and horrible the boomer seedy sketchy junkie trash can go with their tenants.

My idiot tweaker crackhead psycho live in landlady- on top of the racism, etc. she pulled- threw cigarette butts on my car. To harass me.

The cops know everything. From here on out, if I'm provoked I both call the cops and retain no responsibility for my actions in self defense.

They also know about her "lover" (GROSS!) who was on probation for meth consumption. Then he violated parole for failing his drug test with meth. she's guilty of aiding and abetting while renting rooms out- rooms without locks.

The idiot parole officers (Goleta) checked in on him- the landlady rented rooms while this was going on. She was in a relationship with him, he didn't pay rent and he either brought drugs or laundered them while he was here and she is guilty of aiding and abetting him.

The cops had to know. They allowed this **** to happen anyways.

Everybody in Goleta has a "medical" marijuana plant in their yard. Those who hear that you're "420 friendly"
assume that you're okay with all of the hard **** they fried their brains with. The "420" is legal. Nobody gives their tenants keys.

The problem with California is that the counterfeit backed subprime real estate bubble forces us to dwell in condemn able garbage shack situations.

IF you're a levelheaded contributing person with a good soul- here's some advice. Regardless of what you do; ALWAYS be civil. Even if you've got tears in your eyes and bruises. There are some of us in the shadows fighting the good fight and we know.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:26 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
And I highly doubt taking his/her food is in the lease lol
Government regulations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NomsEIum6gk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
View detailed profiles of: