Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 18,516 times

Advertisements

Reposted from the Los Angeles forum:

Looking to move to Oak Park/Agoura Hills/Westlake Village and I came across the Santa Susana Field Lab in nearby Simi Valley during my research. Upon further investigation, I found that the DOD conducted a range of radioactive materials testing, and in 1959, there was a partial meltdown of nuclear reactors. Though the iodine-131 released has a half life of eight days, the facility also released many other radioactive materials, as well as other toxic chemicals, over a period of years.

Santa Susana Field Laboratory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Living on Earth: A Nuclear Incident "Worse Than Three Mile Island"

Recently, there have been reports of cancer clusters in nearby towns, many of which I might add are middle to high-income towns. No one from these areas I've talked to at work seem to be aware of this huge testing site, nevermind the accidents it has had in the past and the potential exposure there might remain.

Do we move into the area (suburban, excellent schools, community feel) anyway and cross our fingers that we will be fine or do we instead stay where we are in Mar Vista/West LA where the schools are spotty and housing costs are high, though we could make it work (look hard for "cheap" privates aka less than $30k a year and be ok w/a comparatively more expensive though smaller house)?

Incidentally just came across this recent LATimes article: Santa Susana toxic cleanup effort is a mess*-*Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County