Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 12:32 AM

126 posts, read 219,300 times

Advertisements

Ok. My wife and I, along with our three sons are moving to the RiverPark community on August 1st. We're excited about the move, and I have been seeking out information on RiverPark. I've found some useful information, but I would like to hear from people who have lived there, or who currently live there. If you've even spent time in the neighborhood, you can also chime in here.

I would like to know what you all think about RiverPark. It appears that the racial demographics is about 60% white, 30% Hispanic and 10% other races. I've also read information that the community is very clean, safe, pet friendly, as well as a community where people jog and walk. So, it appears like a very active community.

My wife and I also love the idea of the Collection outdoor mall basically being the center piece of the community. We've visited the Collection during different days of the weeks, as well as different times, and it seem to be always thriving. I have yet to witness any negative behavior, which is a great thing.

So, if you all have anything to share about RiverPark, please do. Also, I know that they are currently building the 24 hour fitness sports complex. Are there any other big projects on the horizon? I've heard that the City of Oxnard made the developers promise to build an 8 story upscale hotel on the premises of the Collection, as well as a convention center. Is this still in the works?

Thanks in advance to everyone who chimes in with any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 10:26 AM

699 posts, read 1,344,344 times
RiverPark has a number of negatives you should be aware of.

I'd strongly suggest taking a bike ride or a walk one block east and south of the community; you'll find it is surrounded by a very different community feel than RP itself. It is also bordered by the Santa Clara riverbed and has flood risk.

Here's the Santa Clara river upstream after a good rain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNFlGAc5W0w

Old 07-06-2014, 11:16 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Renting or buying?

Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 AM

I'm not really worried about the surrounding communities outside of RiverPark. Sure, the demographic may not be the same, but with a police substation and constant police presence inside of RiverPark, safety isn't a big concern. Also, the Santa Clara riverbed doesn't worry me. If we lived in the south, Midwest or Northwest, then I may have some concern.

Oh, and we're renting. If we love the area, then a purchase may be in our not-so distant future.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwhite75 View Post
My wife and I also love the idea of the Collection outdoor mall basically being the center piece of the community.
Wish you the best. I think it's a sad commentary on the state of housing, however, when a shopping mall becomes the center of a so-called "community."

Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,697,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Wish you the best. I think it's a sad commentary on the state of housing, however, when a shopping mall becomes the center of a so-called "community."
How so? What should be the center?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:18 AM

The point was that a subdivision is not a community. It is a neighborhood at best. A 'community' implies common interests and ties, that is why it is a misnomer to use that word, but it sounds like the lost unity of the traditional small town, so real estate agents love using it. Calling Riverpark a "community" is an advertising ploy, like "apartment homes" and other warm and fuzzy euphemisms. And retailers love to imply that spending money at their stores constitutes the feeling of community. It doesn't.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:03 AM

I'd mentioned community and the shopping element together, because I would rather go on nice walk to pick up some small groceries, or check out a movie, or sit down for a bite to eat without having to drive miles and miles.

The Collection is an excellent selling point, and it doesn't imply that the only reason to live in RiverPark is for the Collection. I've driven through RiverPark and there is a since of community there. It reminds me of the same feeling I had when I lived in Mission Oaks in Camarillo.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:25 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
I don't live there but have friends that do. We like to visit the Collection for a movie, meal, or some other shop. I am also a member of the Riverpark facebook page, although I think it is technically for people that live in Riverpark. You can look them up at Riverpark Dirty Laundry on Facebook.

What we love:

The parks. Our kids love to visit the many parks. They have one with an amazing fountain. We had a family picture taken at that fountain. Weddings have been held in that park as well as lots of birthday parties.

Our kids went to the middle school there, one son is going to be in 8th grade this year. Both the K - 5 and the 6-8 schools are amazing. If you have kids they will love those schools.

The community in general. It has this feeling that for those living there they are part of their own city.

Plenty of things to do. Ride within and connect to other parts of Oxnard and Ventura by bike. I love the fact that the bike path can get you from the Riverpark to the area beaches.

We love the Collection and hope it continues to grow.

Problems with Riverpark:

Property tax is the highest in the area and it can go up faster there. HOA fees are another issue. I love living in my older home that does not have an HOA and is set at the lower rate.

Car breakin's have been happening. Keep your cars in the garage to solve that problem.

From Riverpark Dirty Laundry: People walking their dogs don't always clean up after them. Poop becomes a problem.

Another element is that many within Riverpark seem to have an idea that they are not part of Oxnard. Call it isolationism because they are on the other side of the 101 bordering the El Rio area. I read on facebook how people from other parts of Oxnard were coming to Riverpark and using their parks and play grounds. (I felt like they were talking about me. LOL) Riverpark is part of Oxnard and as such the parks are open for everyone to use.

As far as the river being close by, they were required to build a retaining wall to protect those within the area. Realize that much of Oxnard, Camarillo, and Ventura are in a flood plain.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:34 PM

Soon2bnsurprise, very good information. Thanks. We can handle dodging the occasional dog poop, and as far as car break-ins go, it happens all over, so with a little common sense we should be ok. One way to keep car break-ins low is to not leave valuables on the seat or dash board for all to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County