Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 11:33 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,647,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy18 View Post
I think we would eventually like to buy a home, nothing too crazy. Maybe on the lines of 2,100 square feet and we would like to spend no more then 375k.
LOL. That is much larger and much cheaper than you are going to find in this area except possibly in very bad neighborhoods, or possibly a townhouse in Oxnard with terrible schools. There were some big-ish townhouses for sale near Hollywood Beach in Oxnard, near the size you want, for in the 400's. Schools are 1 out of 10, there. That was a year ago, they may all have been flipped (and overpriced) by now. Not sure.

"The avenue" in Ventura and some of the bad neighborhoods in Oxnard might have something that big and cheap. Schools will be just terrible and there will be some neighborhood safety issues. Not like Compton or anything, but some drug/gang activity, petty/property theft and lots of homeless. Not recommended if you want kids or your wife will be coming and going alone.

You might be able to build something like that FAR outside of town if you buy some cheap land zoned for residential, but you will be looking at a big commute, a long drive to anything, and hot dusty weather. You will need to establish connections with, or be a general contractor, yourself, to figure out a way to build that big, that cheap, and still hit all the regulations.

I would suggest the East Ventura suburbs, and shrinking your wish to a 12-1500sqft 3br2ba, while upping your budget to 450k. Same goes for Camarillo. I would avoid Oxnard. The school issue is going to haunt you there. If you're willing to deal with bad schools, then there are nice neighborhoods in Oxnard and Port Hueneme, but you need to hunt around. DON'T trust realtors, ask around yourself online and walk the neighborhood / talk to residents.

Quote:
Are there areas available to buy land and build from the ground up or is it more common to just buy pre-existing houses?
There's land for sale, most of it already parceled and pretty expensive. Common to buy preexisting.

Quote:
Food is not much of an issue as my wife and I both like to cook so we are fine with eating out once or twice a month.
Learn to utilize Hispanic groceries (if you don't already) and the glorious 99c store. Local produce too ripe to ship gets dumped on 99c stores and such and is sometimes a steal. Eat what's in season. Also farmer's markets have surprisingly good deals. Avoid VONS like the plague (way overpriced). Other grocery chains aren't so bad... sometimes... with their specials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 03:20 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,481,620 times
My sister raised her family in Camarillo. I spent a lot of time there and it seemed very safe and family-oriented, the schools were good in most areas. Now there is also a state university there, CSU Channel Islands. As for your wife & shopping, I remember a large outlet mall also. However, bump up what you plan to spend on housing. I do agree with other posters that you should avoid Oxnard, especially since you are unfamiliar with the area.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:34 AM

13 posts, read 28,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
LOL. That is much larger and much cheaper than you are going to find in this area except possibly in very bad neighborhoods, or possibly a townhouse in Oxnard with terrible schools. There were some big-ish townhouses for sale near Hollywood Beach in Oxnard, near the size you want, for in the 400's. Schools are 1 out of 10, there. That was a year ago, they may all have been flipped (and overpriced) by now. Not sure.

"The avenue" in Ventura and some of the bad neighborhoods in Oxnard might have something that big and cheap. Schools will be just terrible and there will be some neighborhood safety issues. Not like Compton or anything, but some drug/gang activity, petty/property theft and lots of homeless. Not recommended if you want kids or your wife will be coming and going alone.

You might be able to build something like that FAR outside of town if you buy some cheap land zoned for residential, but you will be looking at a big commute, a long drive to anything, and hot dusty weather. You will need to establish connections with, or be a general contractor, yourself, to figure out a way to build that big, that cheap, and still hit all the regulations.

I would suggest the East Ventura suburbs, and shrinking your wish to a 12-1500sqft 3br2ba, while upping your budget to 450k. Same goes for Camarillo. I would avoid Oxnard. The school issue is going to haunt you there. If you're willing to deal with bad schools, then there are nice neighborhoods in Oxnard and Port Hueneme, but you need to hunt around. DON'T trust realtors, ask around yourself online and walk the neighborhood / talk to residents.

There's land for sale, most of it already parceled and pretty expensive. Common to buy preexisting.

Learn to utilize Hispanic groceries (if you don't already) and the glorious 99c store. Local produce too ripe to ship gets dumped on 99c stores and such and is sometimes a steal. Eat what's in season. Also farmer's markets have surprisingly good deals. Avoid VONS like the plague (way overpriced). Other grocery chains aren't so bad... sometimes... with their specials.
Wow, I was prepared to take a hit with the housing market but that is just crazy. I can buy a 2,500 square foot home on an 8,000 square foot lot for 250k. We would be ok with living in a hot dusty environment as we are relocating from New Mexico so we really are desert rats. As you mentioned the downside to this is that it will result in a long commute to work which I was hoping to avoid.

Don't worry, I would never use a realtor, I don't mind doing the leg work myself once I get down there. If we have to live in an apartment or condo for the first couple of years while we work to get the housing situation settled then that is what will do.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:07 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,647,869 times
The best way to thrive in California is to understand and accept why so many people want to live here. Your average Joe doesn't have a man cave, wet bar in his basement, or home theater room. What we have here, instead, is a thousand square miles of awesome. Every day is perfect for surfing, rock climbing, bbqing at the beach, pickup football with the guys, snowboarding fresh powder, fishing, offroading or just hanging out with friends on the patio of your favorite watering hole down the street.

Nobody who lasts here ever stays home. Home is a bed and a place to cook. California is your living room. Its 73 and sunny today, it will be the same February 9th and August 2nd. We'll walk downtown after work and surf on our lunch breaks both those days and all the days in between. That's what makes it worthwhile to put up with some of the bs one deals with here.

If we moved somewhere else, we might need a big house or fancy car to make up for losing paradise. I've lived in a Midwestern mcmansion 3+X bigger, that cost the same as my modest place here in Ca. Wouldn't trade back for all the tea in China.

If that all sounds crazy to you, you might want to reconsider your plans to relocate.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:22 PM

6,328 posts, read 7,671,363 times
2,100 square feet for 375K? On the Oxnard Plain? If you find something like, let me know because I want one too. Lots are scarce also.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:53 AM

Rent an apartment in Camarillo, then feel out & get used to the area. FYI, I checked out my sister's former house in Camarillo. Zillow puts it at $423k. It's 3/2, 1300 sq ft. on a quarter acre lot in a very quiet neighborhood. Her kids walked to school.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 09-29-2014 at 04:05 AM.. Reason: More info

Old 09-29-2014, 09:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,191,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Rent an apartment in Camarillo, then feel out & get used to the area. FYI, I checked out my sister's former house in Camarillo. Zillow puts it at $423k. It's 3/2, 1300 sq ft. on a quarter acre lot in a very quiet neighborhood. Her kids walked to school.
Where is it for that price?

I live in Oxnard on the North side in a home that is just under 1,700 square feet that sits on 6,000 square foot lot. Homes in are neighborhood are selling for $440,000 and up. I would bet that a home in Camarillo sitting on a quarter acre lot would go for a lot more than $423,000.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Where is it for that price?

I live in Oxnard on the North side in a home that is just under 1,700 square feet that sits on 6,000 square foot lot. Homes in are neighborhood are selling for $440,000 and up. I would bet that a home in Camarillo sitting on a quarter acre lot would go for a lot more than $423,000.
Off Las Posas Road exit from 101. Tract was built in 1962. I don't know what is selling, if anything there right now. that is what Zillow places as the value.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 09-29-2014 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 09-30-2014, 06:21 PM

6,328 posts, read 7,671,363 times
Zillow's house values are well know to have nothing to do with reality. They just came out yesterday, yet again, with a new algorithm that hopefully will be a bit more accurate. Realtors constantly lament when prospective buyers come with a Zillow printout and can't understand why they can't purchase a property for that price. It's a starting point, somewhat useful for comparison from place-to-place. Nothing more.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:55 PM

13 posts, read 28,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post

I think this is what we will end up doing. I cringe at paying that much, I was actually stationed in Hawaii for a number of years while in the military and when I separated I left the island for this very reason, Looks like in the end, I am going to bleed from the wallet regardless. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County