Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 03:39 PM

13 posts, read 28,317 times

Advertisements

As the title suggests, there is a possibility that I will be obtaining a job in Point Mugu and I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend suitable surrounding areas to live? I would like to keep the commute to 20 miles or less and I am really just looking for a nice safe community for my family and myself. I am already preparing for the crushing blow to the wallet as I know how expensive CA is. Thanks in advance for any input you guys can share with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 06:22 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,697,686 times
Do you surf? Renting isn't bad. Places with bad schools aren't that expensive. Give more details on what you want? Cheap, safe , good schools, walk to surf, etc. What are your priorities?

Old 09-22-2014, 08:49 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,547 times
Camarillo sounds like a good fit for you. Ventura is Plan B.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:14 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Camarillo sounds like a good fit for you. Ventura is Plan B.
+1 Take a close look at Camarillo. Ventura is good, but the commute will be a lot more difficult than from Camarillo. You'll have to go through Oxnard to get to the base from Ventura.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:43 PM

Camarillo is boring and inland. Ventura has a lot more of interest. Plus it stays cooler with the sea breeze. The commute is about 25 minutes in and 30 minutes home.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
Oxnard has many neighborhoods that would meet your needs. Oxnard is also one of the Nations safest cities of its size.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:26 PM

No I don't surf but I have been rock climbing for many years. To paint a more vivid picture for you guys, I am 33 years old and married to my wife of 2 years who is seriously pushing for kids. So I assume kids will be in the near future. We have two dogs and they really are considered members of the family. My wife loves to shop as she claims that is her "therapy", you can see where I am going with that one. That really sums it up honestly, I don't consider us to be very exciting. If I am not rock climbing I am working on physics as I am a physicist and when my wife is not shopping she is working at a restaurant. And at the end of the day we like to relax at home with our two dogs. Sorry, I claimed to attempt to paint a more vivid picture for you and I believe I was still very vague.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
No kids yet, You are still young. You like to rock climb. Do you ever hit the clubs?

Ventura has the night life, at least on Thursday thru Saturday. You can head up the 33 into the back country to hike and climb. Also great for dogs. Ventura has a nice mall for your wife to hit up. It will be a bit further than you may want to drive, although you could take the 101 to Rice and head on down to the Base. With your recent post I think you should look into Ventura.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:17 PM

Ventura has better schools than Oxnard for eventual kids. It is also obscenely dog friendly.

How much are you prepared to spend on housing, and what do you want to live in? Food is cheap if you know where to shop. Utilities are cheap too, since you rarely have to heat or cool on the coast.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:35 PM

I think we would eventually like to buy a home, nothing too crazy. Maybe on the lines of 2,100 square feet and we would like to spend no more then 375k. Are there areas available to buy land and build from the ground up or is it more common to just buy pre-existing houses? Food is not much of an issue as my wife and I both like to cook so we are fine with eating out once or twice a month. And no, my wife and I are not really into the club scene. By the way, thanks for all of your input as it is nice to have the opinion of "real" people who live in the area as opposed to finding generic answers on the internet from websites who have their own agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County