Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 11:22 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreeB View Post
We moved here 2.5 years ago from the Seattle area and now live in Oxnard. We have been surprised at the lack of friendliness in the neighborhood. It isn't unfriendly, but it seems that everyone keeps to themselves, and when I see people when out walking, I am surprised at the amount of people who will not make eye contact. I have spoken to others who have come from other parts of the country and they agree that it just isn't friendly, so I don't think it is just my neighborhood. I have noticed it in stores as well. It isn't limited to any age or demographic, but it is pretty consistent. Even when we make the first overture, people seem surprised, but do not reciprocate.

Having said that, we love Ventura County and the accessibility of all that we are looking for in Southern California.
I noticed the same.

My neighbors are waving friendly from a distance or while driving by, but if I would walk towards them and ask them something or just mention the weather, they get very distant and try to get away asap.

However, I prefer that over the overly curious neighbors I had in other cities.

I love living here. 5 Minutes to an empty beach to let the doggy run. Not hot ever. In an hour I am in Santa Barbara or LA. The mountains are 20 minutes away with amazing hiking trails.

Last edited by oh-eve; 01-23-2015 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 07:08 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
My impressions.

As much as VC tries to disassociate itself from "LA" one cannot deny it is essentially a suburb/exurb of LA. That was probably not the case back in the 50s when some of the area's identity started to form up but by the 80s the die was cast.

In terms of people, it is not as diverse as the more urban sections of SoCal, although it has a high "minority" (Latino) population mainly in places like Oxnard, Santa Paula, etc. The "nice" places are still quite white / Anglo. Although slowly changing you are not going to find anywhere near the percentages of blacks, non Latino immigrants (especially Asians) and the like, that you will find in LA and Orange Counties.

Still, being so close to the core Southland urban zones, and yet, so close to nice beaches and wild mountains, there is much good to say about VC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County