Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 04:27 PM

642 posts, read 2,551,280 times

Advertisements

So we drove all over oxnard and ventur today and we love it. It has changed so much since th mid 90s. We definitely have settled on this area. Either place is fine we really loved Oxnard but either is fine. Is there many granny flats with houses here like in the IE? Oxnard/Ventura looked great. Is there any areas in Oxnard/ VenturA that we should stay away from when looking for a place? I went down the Avenue in Ventura and that looked fine too. We love the old feel of Oxnard and the beaches are awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 09:07 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
In Ventura I would not want to live off the Avenue near main street. Drive up the Avenue to near Seneca and you will be fine.

Some nice places, fill in really, some newer places between Main Street to the North and Thompson to the South between where Pategonia is and on up to Chestnut. You will also find homeless people in the area though. The Homeless are probably all over Ventura but more closer to that area and on up toward the Pacific View Mall. You will probably find a lot of small granny flats in that area and on over to as far east as Borchard. You may find more closer to Saticoy and the Montalvo area.

In Oxnard you probably won't find many granny flats. The only area that I think may have them would maybe be between Oxnard Blvd and Saivers Road South of 5 points. Not an area that I would want to live in.

Living in Oxnard I prefer the North Side. Also the River Park area is nice but if you are looking for small places or granny flats that would not be the area. You could look to El Rio for a small rental, as it is mostly county land and their may be someone that has built a unit in their back yard. El Rio is fine but live closer to Vineyard. The closer you get to Rose it more sketchy.

Oxnards West Side is not too bad. Also I would put a word in for Port Hueneme, which is interesting because it is near South Oxnard but is still not too bad of place to live.

You don't want to live in Colonia but would probably do well in West Village just North of Colonia. Many of the streets continue on from West Village into Colonia and both are like Day and Night.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:08 PM

Thank you so much this is awesome advice. I wanted a out of the way place but the area is so population dense I dont think that will happen. And I used to live off the Avenue and am not real keen on moving back. Up in the hilly area of Ventura I think would be nice but probably too expensive. I love Oxnard very much and I noticed homes in my price range in Port Hueneme and I believe west side closer to Harbor. I thought that would be a bit quieter and walkable. Am I totally off or does that sound rightto you? Thanks again ... Shannon

Old 05-19-2015, 08:16 PM

I remember a coworker who lived in El Rio. It sounded like it was a little more rural back in the day is it still like that? When we drove through colonia it didnt look so bad but looks can be deceiving. Maybe because we figure where we are is probably a bit rougher. How does the area add up in respect to San Bernardino/Colton area crime wise do you know?

Old 05-21-2015, 01:19 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
El Rio is changing because of what is happening around it. Vineyard Avenue has River Park on one side and El Rio on the other side. Until maybe a few years ago the shops along Vineyard did not have sidewalks. That has been changing as Sidewalks have been installed from maybe near the 101 on down. They are not done putting them in but what an improvement. Sewer system went in ending the decades use of septic systems in the area. I see Oxnard annexing the El Rio area someday. The influence is already there. Montalvo became part of Ventura not too many years back. Years ago their were many more communities that were absorbed into the bigger cities.

On the east side of El Rio you have the Oxnard Auto center with its 15 different brands of cars and trucks. Who would have thought that Oxnard would be home to a Mercedes Benz dealer, or an AUDI dealer, or Cadillac, or Lincoln dealer? Oxnard had a Lexus dealer for years, when the brand started Lunsford Toyota included the Lexus brand into their lineup. It is kind of amazing really when you think about it. The entire area around the auto mall has become a large retail area with a Costco and many other stores.

Downtown Oxnard has become a very liveable part of the city as well. My family spends a lot of time down town. Our kids are in TaiKwonDo at a school down town. You can find people walking around during the evening. Christmas time in the plaza park area is big. Lots of people will visit Plaza Park and then head on over to the Historic Homes area along F street to see the Christmas lights and the decorated homes. The neighborhood has become a Historical part of the area and is listed as a historic site in the state. The shopping and eating places near Plaza park are amazing as well. They also have a 14 screen theater that includes some 4D screens that let you feel what is happening within the film.

Along the West Side is the Sea Bridge neighborhood. You will find condos and apartments on the water, in Oxnard's version of an inter coastal waterway. When I was a kid they built Mandalay Bay. That has grown over the years and now extends from the harbor on up to Wooley Road, between Victoria and Harbor Blvd. As the years progress look for future developments to continue growing out past 5th street with the water ways and homes with boats in the back yard.

The former shopping center or strip mall at Hemlock and Victoria was torn down. The former shopping area is being turned into condos and apartments. Most of the shopping moved into the Sea Bridge development across the street from that area. Even Yolanda's Mexican Restaurant moved from its location at Channel Islands and Saviers Road to the Sea Bridge location. Lots of places to take a walk or jog in that area. People even walk their dogs around there. It has become a socially active part of the city.

I will have to add more when I have time.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:24 PM

Thank you so much! We will be walking the dogs, bike riding etc. I would love any info you would like to give My daughter and her husband & dog will be renting a small apartment in Oxnard and looking for inexpensive and safe. Can you recommend an area they should check into? I see the Sea View Area in the west side, does that have walking areas also? How is POrt Hueneme different then Oxnard or is it pretty much the same? I remember the Hemlock and Victoria shopping strip years ago, how nice they have done something with it. That would be a nice area to live in I think. Thank you again and sorry about all the questions

Old 05-26-2015, 03:27 PM

41 posts, read 68,699 times
Stay away from ventura ave. There are quite a few bad areas in Oxnard but Colonia is the worst IMO. North Oxnard near Vineyard ave is a nice area. The rest of Ventura away from downtown is nice. Downtown isn't bad or anything but that's where all the bums are.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:57 PM

33 posts, read 36,020 times
I would love to answer any questions you have. Ventura, Oxnard, and Port Hueneme should all have possibilities for you. Of course, it depends on your price range and other specifics though. I sent you a pm, let's connect!

Old 05-27-2015, 08:44 AM

Thank you so much I will keep your number for when the date comes closer! It is appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County