Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:57 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,039,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarView View Post
I work in oxnard every day doing home health--driving around, going to patients' homes after they've left the hospital. It's pretty scary, even in the daytime.
Which parts of Oxnard are you, CedarView, describing? I don't know of any "pretty scary" areas. In fact, there really isn't any part of Oxnard I'd be down-right afraid of. Crime is way down compared to years past. Some areas are better/worse than others, but Oxnard is a big place with many different areas. The city is growing with strong ambitions, and changing very rapidly. My advice to anyone considering Oxnard is to ask yourself how you feel about that -- Oxnard's ambitions to become a major coastal city. If you prefer smaller towns or suburbia, think ahead, look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 06:35 PM

39 posts, read 244,685 times
Default does depend on the area, but overall.....?

Well, let's just put it this way: My place of home health employment advises its 100 field staff to avoid oxnard zipcodes 93030, 93033, 93041 after 12pm, if possible, for greater safety. Props to the 'nard for trying, though with the new high school and downtown refurbishing. There is no doubt that 93035 and 93043 are still supreme, though lock your car tightly. I've been broken into twice, one street over from Embassy Suites. Ocean Street and Mandalay Beach Road are pretty good in the daytime, but best avoided at night (take it from someone who lived on Mandalay for 5 years).

Old 01-24-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarView View Post
Well, let's just put it this way: My place of home health employment advises its 100 field staff to avoid oxnard zipcodes 93030, 93033, 93041 after 12pm, if possible, for greater safety. Props to the 'nard for trying, though with the new high school and downtown refurbishing. There is no doubt that 93035 and 93043 are still supreme, though lock your car tightly. I've been broken into twice, one street over from Embassy Suites. Ocean Street and Mandalay Beach Road are pretty good in the daytime, but best avoided at night (take it from someone who lived on Mandalay for 5 years).
What about 93036, where all of the politicians and rich folk live? Zip code 93041 isn't Oxnard; it's Port Hueneme. Not trying to be difficult, just want to offer a balance.

The types of crimes you're describing in parts of Oxnard are nothing worse than what you'll find in parts of Ventura or parts of Santa Barbara.

After 12 p.m. in Ventura's Montalvo or Avenue areas, and Santa Barbara's east and west sides, the best advice is to lock doors. It's a myth that Oxnard is any worse -- or that Ventura and Santa Barbara are any better, for that matter.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 14,192 times
Let me begin by saying I love reading the views and the perception of Oxnard. I was born and raised in this coastal town. I have lived and traveled the world 1000 times over and decided to come back and raise my family in my hometown. Every city and country has issues. Perception...crime in Oxnard may have been an issue WAY in the past, today very different. Oxnard has put the right mechanisims in place to combat crime, but Oxnard is far far from being crime ridden. When you compare Ventura county city populations Oxnard does very well. T.O 128,000 Simi Valley 118,000 Moorpark 30,000 Camarillo 63,000 Ventura 105,000 SB County(Santa Barbara) 80,000......Oxnard 192,000 with Port Huemene over 200,000. The Star, our local paper does a Ventura County safest city artical comparing cities of a 100,000 or more. When you have 80 to 100,000 more people you will have more crime. When you shift population numbers.......Ventura has more crime per capita, Santa Barbara has more crime per capita and even Beverly Hills........nobody knows this. When Oxnard is compared with cities of 150,000 to 200,000 it is the 5th safest city of it's size in the US. Again perception.....the Star which used to be in Ventura, was very pro Ventura and anti Oxnard...example, and there are many...about a year ago there was a head-line that stated OXNARD CARJACKING...had nothing to do with Oxnard...it was in Ventura by a Ventura resident who carjacked an Oxnard resident....perception. I love the attitudes toward Oxnard by individuals who throw out blanket statements, and know nothing about the city. The future of Oxnard looks very bright...new shopping centers beach/harbor homes, restuarants, and a revitalized downtown.......this is great town. Does Oxnard have issues!!...yes...we need to work on our schools...that would be another rant.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:34 PM

123 posts, read 486,191 times
I just moved from Ventura which I really liked and as a single women I flet very safe and comfortable. My view on Oxnard is some parts are ok and I felt safe but some side areas looked run down and felt unsafe to me. I felt that way though about areas of Ventura too. Though in the whole I would much rather live in Ventura.I would not call it close to La though because traffic is insane around there. I would drive often times to Ucla area or the airport and had to allow a lot of time. Good luck in your choice.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 10,358 times
my family and i are considering moving somewhere near port hueneme...is this a good place for a family to move? It seems as if parts are crime ridden and other parts are posh?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njani View Post
my family and i are considering moving somewhere near port hueneme...is this a good place for a family to move? It seems as if parts are crime ridden and other parts are posh?
Crime in the area is very low. It's at something like a 17-year low in Oxanrd. Port Hueneme has some nice areas. I particularly like the area along Hemlock Street between Patterson and Seahorse. Downtown PH and the beach areas are also nice.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:08 AM

36 posts, read 84,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njani View Post
Oxnard has always been great for me. It's got a quick pace of positive growth, the distance from L.A. (I've taken PCH from L.A. thru Malibu back home to Oxnard many times-scenic and light traffic, especially at night!) is just right and the weather is hard to beat!

'Crime ridden' is a thing of the past here. The Oxnard police dept has done a sensational job of keeping crime low and the gang injunction introduced a few years ago has kept troublesome youths off the street. Seriously, it is dead silent at night here and I live in South Oxnard. If you don't mind living in a predominantly Hispanic community, your family may enjoy it here.

Depending on your budget, there are many places to look/research not only in huge Oxnard/Port Hueneme area, but also neighboring cities like Ventura or Camarillo. Believe me, after living 3 years in New Jersey, I couldn't wait to come back to Oxnard!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,186,268 times
Things sure have changed since this post started. Home prices are way down.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:23 AM

2 posts, read 14,302 times
We lived in Monrovia Ca and loved it - moved to Charlotte NC - if you want high prices for everything(food & basic bills) come over here! We hate the schools - stay out off Charlotte (Mech Co) Cali is further ahead for schools. I am black and I was afraid of white haters....its the Mexicans and black folks that are frighting. Do Not move here if you like to eat out...everything has vinegar and or sugar in it. We are so unhappy- thinking about Oxnard next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County