Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:33 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Safe Cities In America - Business Insider

The Safest Cities for Women in America: A Study

These Are the 10 Safest Mid-Sized Cities in America -- The Motley Fool

Happiest U.S. Cities of 2014: The List

The 10 Best (And Worst) U.S. Communities For Overall Well-Being - mindbodygreen.com

Last edited by Yac; 01-27-2016 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 12:32 AM

68 posts, read 120,832 times
The last three thefts over in my northwest area of Oxnard I never bothered reporting because the cops are completely useless here.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:32 PM

126 posts, read 219,261 times
Default Good proof

I think the sources you've provided is a good indication that Oxnard isn't the crime infested area that people try to make it out to be.

I've lived in Camarillo for 7 years and in Oxnard for close to 7 years and counting. I haven't noticed any difference in the crime at all. I truly believe if Oxnard was predominantly white as oppose to Hispanic, people wouldn't try to give Oxnard a bad rap.

I know of people in Camarillo who have had their homes burglarized and cars broke into, etc. Petty crime happens everywhere.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:35 PM

Oxnard has the ocean and camarillo has the mountains yet their both crappy towns. Both are filled with monotonous ugly housing. And Oxnard is so flat and grid like.... Yuck! There are about 5 trees on deodar ave which makes people think that street is lush, because most streets are completely barren... Lol

Old 01-16-2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubing View Post
Oxnard has the ocean and camarillo has the mountains yet their both crappy towns. Both are filled with monotonous ugly housing. And Oxnard is so flat and grid like.... Yuck! There are about 5 trees on deodar ave which makes people think that street is lush, because most streets are completely barren... Lol
You sure love to complain. You even followed me over to the Arkansas forum and posted about Oxnard. Funny guy you are. I posted lists that show what is happening in Oxnard. Lots of people come here to live here because of what it has to offer. Here you are even putting down Camarillo, a desirable city on many standards.

Your post is a joke.

I clicked on Google Maps for Deodar Ave. Between A street and F street I counted 50 trees. May have been more, I was only counting what I saw on the satellite view. I did not count the smaller greenery that looked like younger trees.

At one point most of the streets had trees. Many of them were removed by the home owners. Others the city took out. I remember as a kid my dad took two trees out that were sending roots into the sewer line.

Many trees just died out. We had a situation back in the late 60's, 70's and 80's where trees on the green space between the side walks and the street were dying. The city removed those trees.

Realize also that we are in a drought and many people have either stopped watering or stick to the two day a week 15 minutes a day that we are allowed to water.

As far as the housing, you really need to get out and look around. Sure I can agree that many neighborhoods are somewhat plain jane with the many ranch style homes. I live in one of them. Realize that this city boomes after world war II and many of these homes came after that time frame. It is just the nature of how things were built. That does not mean that someone is required to keep their home in that condition. I see many beautiful homes in neighborhoods all over the city. Also look to the Historic district for some amazing homes. I also love the homes built at West Village, River Ridge, Victoria Estates and of course the beach areas.

Still these ranch style homes still sell for on average $423,000 or so. People want to live here. People will continue to want to live here.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:55 PM

Yes exactly! Ugly post war housing...95% of it, yuck!

Everything in CA is expensive. Even ugly post war housing. Frankly, I wouldn't want to live in condo hell by the Collection either. That housing is even more cookie cutter, if not as drab.

I don't think you can blame the lack of trees on the drought. It's always been like this. A massive tree planting would def help oxnard...at least on some of the main roads like ventura, which appear unseemly downtrodden and ghetto. Areas like the historic district, while nice are only 2X4 blocks in a truly massive and expansive grid of never ending monstrosities, block after block of post-war crap shack.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:49 PM

FYI, did not 'follow you' to Arkansas forum, but was surprised and gravely disappointed to find you there spewing all of the same old tired pro-oxnard propaganda i am so glad not to listen to when I read other forums looking to escape from this nasty city. Just to illustrate my point of how ugly oxnared is, here is a pic of the typical street you will find in the nard:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7eaz1mz5wu...ibita.jpg?dl=0

And here is another pic of the typical Oxnard style home:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q124kttvvt...hib_b.jpg?dl=0

Can you even imagine a place uglier? I am thinking that when Henry Oxnard sat down to build this city, they must've tried to come up with plans to build it as ugly as possible in order to lord it over the farm workers and other peons that live here, leaving only a couple nice places in the historic district from themselves. No thankyou I don't want to live in the fuedalistic enclave of some deranged european oxen herder farmer. Arkansas here I come!!!

Old 01-17-2016, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 19,858 times
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I would love to live in Oxnard just to be near the beach.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:54 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Of all the towns/cities in Ventura County, cannot say that Oxnard is the ugliest, however, it does lack charm and character. There are a few sections of newer homes that don't look bad at all, but when one lives in Oxnard, unless you never leave their home/street, you'll end up commuting in the less attractive areas of Oxnard.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubing View Post
FYI, did not 'follow you' to Arkansas forum, but was surprised and gravely disappointed to find you there spewing all of the same old tired pro-oxnard propaganda i am so glad not to listen to when I read other forums looking to escape from this nasty city. Just to illustrate my point of how ugly oxnared is, here is a pic of the typical street you will find in the nard:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7eaz1mz5wu...ibita.jpg?dl=0

And here is another pic of the typical Oxnard style home:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q124kttvvt...hib_b.jpg?dl=0

Can you even imagine a place uglier? I am thinking that when Henry Oxnard sat down to build this city, they must've tried to come up with plans to build it as ugly as possible in order to lord it over the farm workers and other peons that live here, leaving only a couple nice places in the historic district from themselves. No thankyou I don't want to live in the fuedalistic enclave of some deranged european oxen herder farmer. Arkansas here I come!!!
In reference to the post I made in the Arkansas forum, here is the part that referenced Oxnard. Realize for those that did not read the thread in the Arkansas forum, this was in answer to a guy that did not want to live near poor Latino's or African Americans, although the area he had mentioned moving to had more Latino's and African Americans than in other parts of Arkansas. My post was to explain that the city of Oxnard has almost as many Latino's as the entire state of Arkansas and many of these people are far from poor. Most of them are hard working. Most of them have built a life here on the coast. My wife's family is representative of that fact. They came here from Mexico and all of them went on to build a nice life here on the coast. Some of them have moved on to Camarillo and Moorpark as well as other areas within the state.

I fail to see where I am spewing anything that is not true. You don't have to like to live in Oxnard but the facts don't lie.

I live in Oxnard CA and we have just under 160,000 Hispanics living in our city. Just about 78% of the people are from South of the Border. These are hard working people. The joke is that you don't pay a Mexican to dig a ditch. You pay him to stop digging. These are people that will not ask for a handout. They don't beg on the street. They may put two or maybe more families into a home but that is only temporary. What happens is they will do that until they can buy a second home. Before you know it, lets say 15 or 20 years, the families all have their own homes. These are people willing to do any job to make it in life. They will sacrifice themselves so that the next generation has an education. Watch out for those poor Latino's. Watch them build a life from nothing and in 20 years have a home, a business, kids that have gained an education. I have watched that my entire life. My wife's family is an example of that.

By the way, Oxnard California is one of the top places to live in the nation. It is one of the safest cities in the nation. Homes are not cheap. The average price in my neighborhood that was built in 1962 is $440,000 and that is for a 1,500 square foot single story, 4 bedroom home on a 6,000 square foot lot. It was not always that way. We used to have a large population of Poor Hispanics, mostly Mexicans. They own many of the business's, they get elected to office, they teach our kids, they are our Police and Fire Departments. They have assimilated. They are more American than you and me.

I love Arkansas. I spent some time visiting my grandparents when I was a kid over in Hot Springs. Loved going there. My great grandmother was born, raised, and spent her entire life on the same spot of ground. My family has history there. I would love to own a home there. Don't get me wrong on what I am saying about where I grew up in California. I am just saying that to bring some perspective to the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County