Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:36 AM

36 posts, read 167,644 times

Advertisements

i moved to TO when my son was an infant. i found friends right away - all you have to do is go to a park and you will meet people with a child around his/her age to at least strike a conversation with... my son went to little dreamers preschool, would also recommend growing place. city is very safe, though it has areas where there is vandalism - no place in the country is crime free. check into the park recs for activities for children/adults which are very cheap & good. no need to join a YMCA for activities unless you want to...you can find an activity book in the library or by the entrance of toys r us in the Janss mall. there are also great parks all over, and plenty to do & see to keep your family busy...Housing is not cheap, but it is a great town to live in... good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 05:59 PM

162 posts, read 572,686 times
I've lived in TO for about 10 years -- here's my take on it:

Beautiful open spaces, adjacent to hiking (Santa Monica Mountains and others) and the beach about 30 minutes away. I think the weather is just about perfect, not too many overly hot weeks and for most of the summer it cools off nicely late afternoon-early evening.

Very family oriented, kid friendly place overall. Be forewarned, the school board just voted to close two elementary schools (Meadows and University I think) so if you have kids that age, check into how far they'll have to go for school. I'm pretty bitter about it actually, even though I don't have kids. The school board seemingly gave the big middle finger to parents and homeowners, crying poor but oddly never even offering homeowners a chance to vote on parcel tax. Well take that however you like, but personally I see it as a bad portent for the City. Just my opinion of course, but you can Google and read up on it if you like.

If you are looking for nightlife, overall, forget it. There are some nice restaurants/lounges but pretty much the City is quiet at night. At 6 pm driving down TO Blvd you're in traffic. Same street at 9 on a weeknight, and it's pretty much empty. It's a little livelier than it used to be but still I think it would be thought of as pretty much "rolling up the streets" at about 9 pm on weekdays. Well I like that personally but I know some don't.

I agree that people here are friendly. It is a very different feel than 20 minutes down the 101 into Calabasas and the San Fernando Valley, which has a more Los Angeles feel.

Personally, I think growth is getting a little out of hand -- I heard about "build out" several years ago but still they keep on building, which seems to me a bad plan when housing prices are dipping pretty badly. Well maybe everyone complains about too much growth where they live, I don't know, and it would of course depend on what you are comparing it to on how you felt about the growth/building factor.

Plenty of shopping, lots of churches and family activities and so much open space nearby do make Thousand Oaks a great place to live. Just pay attention to the "newer" things being built or having recently been built to get an idea of what might be changing in TO. The City has been very suburban almost to the point of a sort of light rural but recently there has been talk about "mixed use" and that type of thing, which has been pretty much unheard of in the area. They're redoing The Oaks mall, which is a good thing as what we had in no way was keeping up with the progress of the City. They are putting in Nordstrom and down the road I think a Neiman Marcus and the mall will be both indoor and outdoor.

If you find a house with oak trees on the property, make sure you ask your realtor to explain the oak tree laws.

Oh, one poster said there was no "bad side of the tracks" in TO -- I hate to disagree, but yes there is. I think there is a bad part of almost any city unless it is pretty small. There are at least a couple of not so great neighborhoods I can think of, including some gang activity, although probably not more than any other So Cal city of this size. Overall the feeling in Thousand Oaks is one of safety -- you feel you can ride, walk or jog the streets without feeling threatened, in pretty much all of the City.

Housing prices are high and as it seems likely there will be at least another year of dip in prices, it might be wise as another poster said to rent for awhile rather than buy.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,790 times
Hi, I wil be moving to Thousand oaks this aug..joinin California Lutheran for MS program! 'm frm India..plz suggest me somethin if i had to live off campus..how to arrange ma stay there..plz help! n how's d place!!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushmitha View Post
.plz suggest me somethin if i had to live off campus
HousingMaps
MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

Old 04-23-2011, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigidOrtega View Post
My family and I are moving to CA for my husbands job and woundering if anyone has any input on the transfer. I mostly am the worried on as I have heard good things and bad things about the area and places around Thousand Oaks. I have heard that people are different, nicer which is good, the weather of course, but am I going to go crazy with the more relaxed atmosphere? I do have a 2yr old and hope that families are around and have found a YMCA center in the area, but I'm not sure if the YMCA and beach is going to be enough for me. Prices of housing (although going down)does worry me. I have been looking at the MLS lisitings (already about 150 homes) and have not seen anything that I think we would enjoy. Anyone with any insight about this matter, i would greatly appreciate your thougts. Oh and schools in TO? My son is still a toddler, but it would also help as to what school district to look for a home in. Again any info would put my mind at ease.
Sincerely,
B
Thousand Oaks is by far the best city in California. It is a little pricey, but it is safer and more beautiful than most. Lots of schools and churches and nice people. Only 45 miles north of Los Angeles and one hour south of Santa Barbara. The weather is great most of the time, we had a colder year this time, down to 35 degrees maybe four nights, and back up to 58. The average winter is not too cold, going to the 40's at coldest. The summers are usually around 85 degrees, with an occasional over 101, but those days are rare. We don't have four full seasons, kind of Spring Summer Fall and a couple of cold days here and there.

I moved here from BROOKLYN and QUEENS and then LONG ISLAND to THOUSAND OAKS in 1966. I briefly lived in San Diego to go to school, the San Fernando Valley and came back to Newbury Park part of Thousand Oaks in 1985. Still there! Feel safe to choose this area, you will love it. We are about 15 miles from the beaches both Malibu and Ventura are freeway drivable. Takes about 45 minutes.

Lots of things for kids and families to do. Not so much for teens or single adults. https://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gif

Old 04-23-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushmitha View Post
Hi, I wil be moving to Thousand oaks this aug..joinin California Lutheran for MS program! 'm frm India..plz suggest me somethin if i had to live off campus..how to arrange ma stay there..plz help! n how's d place!!
CLU should have housing information for students and faculty. The Thousand Oaks area is only about 10 by 10 square miles, and Simi Valley is nearby, as is Agoura and Moorpark. The Conejo Valley is beautiful.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:08 PM

Tom Selleck lives near hear. It is really pretty up here.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 6,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I have lived in the Thousand Oaks area for 7 years.
I love and adore it. I was born in Brooklyn and raised
in Englewood NJ, went to Rutgers and lived in Manhattan.
I'd be happy to answer any of your questions.
I moved here because I could see it was a wonderful
place to raise a child. My son is 19 now but he thanks
me for our town all the time. Please tell me how I can
help you and what you'd like to know!
Hello, we are in CT and may be moving to Thousand Oaks, 3 small kids, would love to talk to you.

please reach me mkitikat@optonline.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County