Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,890 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to CA for my husbands job and woundering if anyone has any input on the transfer. I mostly am the worried on as I have heard good things and bad things about the area and places around Thousand Oaks. I have heard that people are different, nicer which is good, the weather of course, but am I going to go crazy with the more relaxed atmosphere? I do have a 2yr old and hope that families are around and have found a YMCA center in the area, but I'm not sure if the YMCA and beach is going to be enough for me. Prices of housing (although going down)does worry me. I have been looking at the MLS lisitings (already about 150 homes) and have not seen anything that I think we would enjoy. Anyone with any insight about this matter, i would greatly appreciate your thougts. Oh and schools in TO? My son is still a toddler, but it would also help as to what school district to look for a home in. Again any info would put my mind at ease.
Sincerely,
B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:05 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,153,472 times
Smile Aren't you the lucky one! Welcome!

I have lived in the Thousand Oaks area for 7 years.
I love and adore it. I was born in Brooklyn and raised
in Englewood NJ, went to Rutgers and lived in Manhattan.
I'd be happy to answer any of your questions.
I moved here because I could see it was a wonderful
place to raise a child. My son is 19 now but he thanks
me for our town all the time. Please tell me how I can
help you and what you'd like to know!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,896,114 times
Where is he going to work? If he loses his job, where is Plan B for a job?

Do a search on "Thousand Oaks" posts written by me.
TO is an excellent place for your family. Period.
Schools there are amongst the best in Southern California.
Lots of family amenities. Pretty, leafy, well cared for, landscaped, planned.
There are two YMCAs, Triunfo and Conejo. Conejo has a swim team. I had my kids in private lessons at the Conejo YMCA for years. They became pretty good swimmers and are now on the swim team here in Colorado.

Conejo Valley YMCA (broken link)

My kids went to Lang Ranch Elementary and to the Growing Place PreSchool on Agoura Road and Westlake. Check it out. It is new and modern. We were extremely happy with both schools.

My kids played soccer at the AYSO Region 9 at the Conejo Creek Park there - very well run organization.

AYSO Region 9 Thousand Oaks

When I worked for Northrop Grumman I traveled out to Bethpage there on Long Island. For fun, I checked out housing prices. It isn't cheap there either.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,165,438 times
If you are worried about housing do not buy a house, the rents are fairly reasonable in TO. The houses should be more affordable in a few years.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:39 AM

12 posts, read 33,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I have lived in the Thousand Oaks area for 7 years.
I love and adore it. I was born in Brooklyn and raised
in Englewood NJ, went to Rutgers and lived in Manhattan.
I'd be happy to answer any of your questions.
I moved here because I could see it was a wonderful
place to raise a child. My son is 19 now but he thanks
me for our town all the time. Please tell me how I can
help you and what you'd like to know!
Hello laysayfair,

Can you tell me about thousand oaks? I am thinking of moving to a few places and weighing the options in all of these places. If you do have any information you can share about schools from elementary to high school, jobs for communication and networking, social life, crime, schools? Best subdivisions and/or communities? Thanks a bunch.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:03 PM

Hi Breakdance!
The Thousand Oaks area is family and kid-friendly. It's
always number #1 or #2 on the safest cities in the country
lists. I include Oak Park, Newbury Park, Westlake, Westlake Village
and North Ranch and Lake Sherwood as being in the area. Theres no wrong side of the tracks
out here and the people are so classy. Whenever we see someone
behaving rudely out in public we know they are not from our "here". As for the schools- people come here for the schools.
Where are you moving from? What other towns are you considering?

Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,387 times
I moved from Boston originally, and out here to the Conejo Valley, which encompasses the communities of Agoura, Oak Park, Westlake, Thousand Oaks, and Newbury Park) when my son was an infant. He is now graduating from High School. There are good and bad people and things everywhere, and the Conejo is no different. Many people move out here from the San Fernando Valley and other places because of the many fabulous schools. There are many families, and many things to do out here, many youth sports, arts classes, hiking, biking, theatre etc. Expand your area to include the San fernando Valley and downtown, and there is that much more to do. The Getty museum is amazing- I was there just last week, Universal City Walk is relatively close. Bottom line, there is as much or little to do as you want to take advantage of.

I am in real estate, and have helped many people find the right home and right community for them. There are many nuances of the different neighborhoods, and to a certain extent, you need to be here to see and feel the difference.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:25 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,092,251 times
Thousand Oaks is in Ventura County. Crime rate in all VC cities is below the national average. It's a good county. TO is very suburban and completely car based, just FYI.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:03 PM

22 posts, read 101,871 times
Default Beautiful

Never lived there but it is really nice. Expensive place to live. I believe Will and Jada Pinkett Smith live there too.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliving0071 View Post
Never lived there but it is really nice. Expensive place to live. I believe Will and Jada Pinkett Smith live there too.
Jamie Foxx too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County