Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,514 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the area next month due to my husband's job. I'd like to have a rental lined up before we get there and would prefer to work with a Realtor. Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 03:13 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Are you from out of state? Because California realtors are really not in the rental business, except for some doing property management. What VC cities are you looking at? Only Ventura city?

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 12-14-2016 at 03:39 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 05:38 PM

Yeah in TX currently. I've looked mainly into Ventura, Camarillo, and Thousand Oaks. I'm open to other areas but my main concern is being in a good school district.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:23 PM

Top school districts on the east end of the county are Conejo Valley (Thousand Oaks) USD, Oak Park USD, Simi Valley USD and Las Virgenes USD (this last one actually into LA County). It's not a bad commute at all to Ventura if that's where the job is. Schools on the west end of the County are variable. Also a variation between elementary, middle and high schools.

You can check Craigslist or the rental portions of realtor.com or other online realty sites to get an idea of prices. Be prepared for sticker shock.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the information and the heads up.

The job is actually at Point Mugu. Is there a decent halfway point between the two if I found a job on the outskirts of LA?

Old 12-14-2016, 07:49 PM

Yes, there are midpoints, but consider a few things. To start, to drive from Point Mugu to the 101 may take 20 minutes; the streets just don't move that fast, and there are few alternate routes. That puts you on the freeway in Oxnard or Camarillo depending on route. Then there is the Conejo Grade, a big hill between the Cam/Ox plain and the Conejo Valley. in SoCal it's not just distance, there's topography to deal with. Like mountains. "The Grade" is usually not dangerous, but we haven't seen "weather" in the last couple years; the Grade has enough elevation (1,000 feet) to catch clouds and have its own microclimate. (Actually the county has six micro-climates, more than any other county in the U.S.). Many times it's been hot and sunny in TO but at the top of the grade it was completely fogged in, presenting a sudden driving threat, then driving down to Cam it would be sunny again. Other times it would be dry on both sides of the grade but raining hard on top. This must be factored into commuting, plus wear-and-tear on your car. About 20 miles from Port Hueneme to TO. Another 22 to the San Fernando Valley.

But given all that, and since you want the schools, and proximity to the SFV, (there are 1.8 million people in the SFV so there are lots of jobs there), probably Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park as close to the 101 as possible would be your midpoint. But that's easily a 1 hour 15 drive between PH and the SFV! And that's if traffic isn't bad or during non-rush hours.

For purposes of your sanity, maybe live in Camarillo, do the schools in Camarillo (perfectly good) and try to find work in Ventura, Oxnard, or Cam.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:38 AM

66 posts, read 75,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Yes, there are midpoints, but consider a few things. To start, to drive from Point Mugu to the 101 may take 20 minutes; the streets just don't move that fast, and there are few alternate routes. That puts you on the freeway in Oxnard or Camarillo depending on route. Then there is the Conejo Grade, a big hill between the Cam/Ox plain and the Conejo Valley. in SoCal it's not just distance, there's topography to deal with. Like mountains. "The Grade" is usually not dangerous, but we haven't seen "weather" in the last couple years; the Grade has enough elevation (1,000 feet) to catch clouds and have its own microclimate. (Actually the county has six micro-climates, more than any other county in the U.S.). Many times it's been hot and sunny in TO but at the top of the grade it was completely fogged in, presenting a sudden driving threat, then driving down to Cam it would be sunny again. Other times it would be dry on both sides of the grade but raining hard on top. This must be factored into commuting, plus wear-and-tear on your car. About 20 miles from Port Hueneme to TO. Another 22 to the San Fernando Valley.

But given all that, and since you want the schools, and proximity to the SFV, (there are 1.8 million people in the SFV so there are lots of jobs there), probably Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park as close to the 101 as possible would be your midpoint. But that's easily a 1 hour 15 drive between PH and the SFV! And that's if traffic isn't bad or during non-rush hours.

For purposes of your sanity, maybe live in Camarillo, do the schools in Camarillo (perfectly good) and try to find work in Ventura, Oxnard, or Cam.
Haha I would say the biggest threat is the drivers not the weather

In all seriousness, the weather changes here are crazy. But I think Ventura is fine especially if you have a job lined up in that city. It is walkable, has nice beaches, good shops "DT" if you can call it that. I have never felt unsafe in any part of Ventura, we have friends in Oxnard beach ON the beach, and the surrounding neighborhoods there are nice as well.

Driving to LA /the valley will be a nightmare. I live in Simi, and on a GOOD day it takes me 45 minutes one way, the usual is an hour+. Traffic has increased in the area tenfold in less than 5 years. Even driving from Ventura to TO is stressful, and going up the grade will take its toll on your car if it is not new.

I would rather commute from Ventura to SB and Carpenteria than to LA area, it rarely locks up and the drive is beautiful vs city traffic and towns. But that's just me.

Sorry I do not have any realtor info, my FIL is an appraiser in the area, maybe he will know some.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:33 AM

149 posts, read 198,042 times
Exclamation ZILLOW com rental listings are GTG

Follow the postings at Zillow for the areas (zip codes)...

I like Newbury Park for fast access to Pt. Mugu & to the beach we go to without freeways

Rental Listings in 91320 - 21 Rentals | Zillow

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County