Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 12:19 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwhite75 View Post
What they should do is provide assistance to the business owners to restore the buildings.
Right on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 09:46 PM

65 posts, read 91,911 times
I personally would like all of Ventura County to go through Orange County-fication with Mc Mansions everywhere. Ventura County needs an Irvine equalvant suburb. And no, Thousands Oaks is more like Yorba Linda

Old 08-29-2017, 10:05 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
As more and more people move to Oxnard with high incomes, the more change will happen. It is just a matter of time. Even along Vineyard Avenue where El Rio is, the city officials approved new luxury apartments and commercial space where the old Rio School sits.

This is just the beginning of developments that will be built along Vineyard Ave in El Rio. The city wants to take that area to redevelop it because it is adjacent to Riverpark.
The City does not have jurisdiction in El Rio. El Rio is an unincorporated section of the county.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:53 AM

126 posts, read 219,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The City does not have jurisdiction in El Rio. El Rio is an unincorporated section of the county.
True, the EL Rio section is not part of the City of Oxnard, but based on the development projects on the City of Oxnard's website, Vineyard Ave is part of the City of Oxnard, which is where El Rio basically starts. I should have made that more clear in my post that this area has been annexed to the City of Oxnard.

Since Vineyard has been annexed to Oxnard, that area will be redeveloped. Developers are seriously looking at that area.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:13 PM

6 posts, read 7,445 times
I've lived in Oxnard for 10 years and amazingly I see the rents are the same as NYC and there is nothing to do here. No museums or culture, (unless mexico is your thing) lousy transportation, no air conditioning anywhere in the city, rents over 3k, traffic nightmare (people slamming on their brakes in front of you or drivers trying to exhibit their skills by driving 50 mph in the supermarket parking lot). What I can't figure out is why would someone move here to make a 2 hour commute when the rents across the street from your office are probably lower or at least the same and you have a choice of fine restaurants and a nightlife. When you rent an apartment here they will tell you that air conditioning is not required here because you'll get cool ocean breezes. You will ROAST in your apartment and I live on the beach! Truth is...the infrastructure can't handle it. There are brown outs that last for hours. The only place that delivers around here is Vons. Forget about ordering up chinese food or anything else for that matter. They won't deliver to this area. If your car breaks down, be prepared to pay $50.00 to go 10 blocks in a taxi or you can stand in front of your house and wait all day for Uber to show up.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimscott View Post
I've lived in Oxnard for 10 years and amazingly I see the rents are the same as NYC and there is nothing to do here. No museums or culture, (unless mexico is your thing) lousy transportation, no air conditioning anywhere in the city, rents over 3k, traffic nightmare (people slamming on their brakes in front of you or drivers trying to exhibit their skills by driving 50 mph in the supermarket parking lot). What I can't figure out is why would someone move here to make a 2 hour commute when the rents across the street from your office are probably lower or at least the same and you have a choice of fine restaurants and a nightlife. When you rent an apartment here they will tell you that air conditioning is not required here because you'll get cool ocean breezes. You will ROAST in your apartment and I live on the beach! Truth is...the infrastructure can't handle it. There are brown outs that last for hours. The only place that delivers around here is Vons. Forget about ordering up chinese food or anything else for that matter. They won't deliver to this area. If your car breaks down, be prepared to pay $50.00 to go 10 blocks in a taxi or you can stand in front of your house and wait all day for Uber to show up.
I have lived here for my entire life. My wife has also.

You can find places to rent for less than $3,000. In fact if you are paying $3,000 for a place you are getting a much nicer place than you will find anywhere in New York City, not to mention Los Angeles. Traffic is nothing compared to what it is like in Los Angeles. Many of us work here where we live and have maybe a 15 minute commute. And most of the year we never do need AC

Old 09-12-2017, 10:30 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Quote:
I believe by law you are able to have a maximum amount of people living in a house or an apartment based on the number of bedrooms. If there are really 12 people sharing a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house, whoever is renting to them by law is breaking the law.

hahahha. As if anyone cares here ... you think the city who allows illegals to work here, get a drivers licence, marry, GIVES THEM FOODSTAMPS and go to school now suddenly cares about the law??

Old 09-12-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
hahahha. As if anyone cares here ... you think the city who allows illegals to work here, get a drivers licence, marry, GIVES THEM FOODSTAMPS and go to school now suddenly cares about the law??
Well in order for the city of Oxnard to progress in the right direction the city officials need to start caring about the law. I am not saying they do not, but considering that they are investing millions into Oxnard, they better be thinking about the people who live in Oxnard as well.

The people (population) truly makes a city what it is. Reality is, the more people who move into Oxnard with solid careers, education and money, the more the city will do to ensure its problems (gangs, graffiti, petty crime) is aggressively addressed with action.

I see that happening more now than ever!

Old 09-12-2017, 12:00 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Quote:
Well in order for the city of Oxnard to progress in the right direction the city officials need to start caring about the law. I am not saying they do not, but considering that they are investing millions into Oxnard, they better be thinking about the people who live in Oxnard as well.

The people (population) truly makes a city what it is. Reality is, the more people who move into Oxnard with solid careers, education and money, the more the city will do to ensure its problems (gangs, graffiti, petty crime) is aggressively addressed with action.

I see that happening more now than ever!
The thing that I see more and more is homeless people in Oxnard, where there were hardly any before.

People sleeping in cars because they ran out of space in the houses, where already 4 families live. I reported some - nothing happens, one woman slept in front of my house in her car for half a year and I couldn't do anything against it.

All these field workers/gardeners who work in nicer areas live around me and raising the prices will only cause more people sharing places and living in garages. It will not drive them away because Oxnard is still the cheapest compared to the other cities where they could still commute to LA, Malibu and the fields. BEcoming a sanctuary city will bring more crime to Oxnard. I guess they want that, so ... take it or leave.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
BEcoming a sanctuary city will bring more crime to Oxnard. I guess they want that, so ... take it or leave.
Nah, I guess I am in it for the long haul because I bought a house here last year. I agree that the prices are going up, and traditionally Oxnard has been one of the less expensive cities to buy and rent in, but that is changing for sure!

Rents posted on Craigslist for Oxnard are on par with Camarillo and Thousand Oaks. I really feel for those people who find themselves homeless, because just for them to get back on their feet it will take a lot money to reestablish themselves in Oxnard.

One thing is for sure is that with a city the size of Oxnard, there are areas for the ultra wealthy (beach front neighborhoods for example), the well-off middle class (Victoria Estates for example), the $100k to $200k middle class neighborhoods (Riverpark for example) and then you have good to decent to bad neighborhoods making up the rest of the city.

I wouldn't want to displace those who are living in the so-called "decent to bad neighborhoods", because we have a lot of hard-working families living there. Some people would argue that in order to remove the gang activity, graffiti and petty crime, you must get rid of lower income people. That's not true. Unfortunately, the solution isn't any easy one.

All I know is I've lived in Oxnard for 11 years and in my opinion, the city has improved tremendously since I've come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County