Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 10:40 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
How do you know?

Take it from someone who's done it for years! Bicycling in the Oxnard-Ventura area is MORE than a valid option. In fact, I'm even thinking of giving up my car. There are bike lanes and bike routes on every major street. The one area I avoid is Victoria at U.S. 101., though I personally know cyclists who traverse that area daily. Alternate to Victoria is the bike path east of Johnson and the NEW bike path along 101's Santa Clara River Bridge. Harbor Blvd is another good Oxnard-Ventura bicycling route. I prefer that one because there is very little cross-traffic, and on the Ventura side the bike route leads you through the Ventura Keys, Pierpont, and the State Beach bike path, which connects to downtown Ventura the Ojai bike path.

The city of Oxnard has a comprehensive bicycle master plan. In progress is a new bike path connecting north Oxnard and the train station downtown.

So get a bike if you're healthy enough to ride. It takes anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes to ride between Oxnard and Ventura (start/end points depending).
I know because I've done it (for fun, not to get to work). I guess if you consider a 30-45 minute ride to work viable, then it is an option. That is way too long in my opinion, and I don't find the riding to be the safest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 10:48 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Default Downtown, big/small, about the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo istmeño View Post
How would you compare downtown Ventura to downtown Oxnard? I guess I am referring to the "old town" sections. Well, Enlighten me says that Ventura has a "cute old downtown", so I was wondering how someone might describe Oxnard`s downtown area, and how it compares to Ventura.

I am really torn between the two cities ... but am leaning toward Ventura only because it is smaller.

DECISIONS DECISIONS!!!
In reality, you'll likely notice little difference between Oxnard and Ventura no matter which city you choose to live. Oxnard is bigger, yes, but it honestly doesn't "feel" bigger than Ventura, which is just as "bustling." In both cities there are areas to avoid, so no matter which one you choose, you'll have to be judicious. Both cities also offer nice, safe and quiet areas.

Both cities have nice downtowns. Ventura started a downtown rehabilitation around 10-15 years ago, so it’s more “mature” than Oxnard’s, perhaps, which began a rehabilitation project around five years ago.

That said, Oxnard's new downtown is really nice with a fair amount of things to do, movies, restaurants and other events. Downtown is directly adjacent to the "Henry T Oxnard Historic District" -- one of Ventura County's ONLY historic districts -- and home of the most beautiful “Santa Claus lane” on F and G streets. Also in downtown Oxnard is Heritage Square, a collection of restored Victorian buildings and regular community events. Plaza Park hosts a weekly farmer's market and other events. Don't be put off, come see.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:56 AM

Default Fast or safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
I guess if you consider a 30-45 minute ride to work viable, then it is an option. That is way too long in my opinion, and I don't find the riding to be the safest.
Actually, I stated "15" to 45 minutes. Anyway, safe and time are different points, both subjective.

1) SAFE. When you ride a bicycle, you have to use your head: wear bright clothes and a helmet, use certain routes, follow the rules of the road (i.e. don't ride against traffic, don't cut in and out of cars, etc.).

2) TIME. Depending on where I start/go to in Oxnard/Ventura, driving is not much faster. But time is not the issue for the times I choose my bike over my car. I choose my bicycle for exercise and to save on gas. For me it's been rewarding. Besides, I'm one less car in YOUR way on the road, and god knows that Oxnard/Ventura traffic is a stress.

I agree with you that bicycling is, indeed, FUN!

Last edited by Winston Smith; 12-15-2006 at 11:11 AM..

Old 12-15-2006, 01:07 PM

231 posts, read 508,808 times
Thanks again for the useful info- I most likely will get a bike now that I know.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:13 PM

I think it is a bummer that Oxnard has such a bad rap too. I look at the positive comments with as much optimism as possible, but I have to be honest, I have been a little intimidated. Cre8`s messages always make me breathe a little easier about moving to Oxnard.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:21 PM

17 posts, read 128,823 times
gringo...next time you hear negative remarks about Oxnard, ask the person where in Oxnard they live or have lived. I'd bet their answer is they don't/havent lived in Oxnard....which means it's all heresay. Like I said, I've lived in Oxnard for over 30 years and never once had my house(s) broken into, been robbed, stabbed, shot, molested, or killed...nor have my children who were born and grew up here. As CRE8 said, there are areas of the city that are not the best, but neighboring cities have those too. I work with lots of folks that live in Camarillo and Ventura, their day to day lives are no different than mine when it comes to living conditions and neighborhood safety.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:36 PM

29 posts, read 181,041 times
[quote=PnutButter;213606]gringo...next time you hear negative remarks about Oxnard, ask the person where in Oxnard they live or have lived.

PnutButter, I grew up near K-mart on Channel Islands, different world there now. Little Mexico with gauchos, gangs, guns, and gringoless. What a dump!!

Old 12-15-2006, 04:36 PM

Default Forgive them, for they do not know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo istmeño View Post
I think it is a bummer that Oxnard has such a bad rap too. I look at the positive comments with as much optimism as possible, but I have to be honest, I have been a little intimidated. Cre8`s messages always make me breathe a little easier about moving to Oxnard.
Thanks for the mention, gringo istmeño. I can tell you that PeanutButter's posts are also quite accurate about Oxnard. The statement that a lot of the bad mouthing about Oxnard comes from people who don't live there, rarely visit and actually know little about Oxnard is SO true. I've experienced this time and time again.

Yes, get a bike. You'll see a lot of people riding bikes in this area. It's flat and the weather is moderate all year.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Huh?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Liters View Post
Little Mexico with gauchos, gangs, guns, and gringoless. What a dump!!
And, what, Ventura, Camarillo or Santa Barbara have no guns, gangs or gauchos? Gimme a break!

As for the "Little Mexico" and "gringoless" remarks, to me it's just stereotyping. I guess the Mexican flag has stars and stripes on it now because that's the one I see flying most. Plus, there are plenty of NON-"gringoless" towns around if that's what you like. Ever heard of Thousand Oaks? As I stated in a previous post, Oxnard's mix is one of the things that appeals to me, and, dare I say, those of us who ENJOY Oxnard. But I also know that mix and diversity are not for everyone. So what? Go live or rest in peace somewhere else. (And, no, I'm not Mexican or Latin, so please don't go there.)

Last edited by Winston Smith; 12-15-2006 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-18-2006, 12:38 PM

What are the best pizza places in Ventura and Oxnard? Any recommendations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County