U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 12:27 PM

12 posts, read 12,686 times

Advertisements

We have visited and scouted out various areas in TO, NB, Westlake Village, Agoura. My husband is very fond of Wildwood, so we've been focussing our house hunt there. We have a young child who would attend Wildwood Elementary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 12:37 PM
DKM

6,782 posts, read 3,273,139 times
Its a good school, cheaper older homes and a quiet area. For us it was too far of a commute to the LA area...It's also kind of isolated and a bit of a drive to shopping. I drove around the neighborhood to the immediate west of the school and saw quite a few run down houses... If my budget was 700ish I would do it over most any other places in the area.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the observations. Our budget happens to be 700ish And interest rates are rising by the second!

We are looking for quiet and a bit isolated, as we left LA partially due to overcrowding, and not wanting to raise our child right in the city. We were previously a 5-10 minute walk to just about anything, but it had it's drawbacks.

Hoping to find an area well suited to raising our child. An area with other families and kids around, etc.

Although I'm a bit worried about some things I read about mountain lions, snakes, and fires in Wildwood

Old 04-26-2018, 03:00 PM
DKM

6,782 posts, read 3,273,139 times
I think you'll find what you are looking for out there. Most of your neighbors there will be like you, moved there for a safe area to raise their kids. I wouldn't worry about the wildlife if you don't buy a house backing up to the natural area. Just carry pepper spray on your walk in the wilderness if you are paranoid about mountain lions but they rarely are ever seen while the sun is up. Fires aren't an issue as most of what's out there is just bushes and cactus.

If I were you I would strongly consider anything feeding into Lang Ranch or Westlake Hills Elementary. Not a lot in the 700's but great schools too.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,162,352 times
Wildwood is a nice area, very scenic. Wildwood Park is however, definitely a wildfire risk, despite having generally low-profile plant life--they're called brushfires. Wildwood hasn't burned in the decades I've lived here. But, that's the risk we all carry living so close to nature. Sometime on weekends the streets around the park entrance get filled with cars of hikers, as the parking area is small and there have been some car break-ins as thieves know people will be gone for awhile. BTW, you can take the road in the park that goes all the way to the ocean!

Note: Unless you live walking distance from the school, you will need to drop off and pick up your child, because there are no school buses here.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the insights. I have read about the issue with parking around the park entrance, so we aren't considering any homes in that area.

We actually found a home this month in the Lang Ranch/Westlake zone, listed at $700k! I really liked it. Looked at another for just over $800k. But my financial comfort zone is the $700s. My husband still strongly prefers being a bit more "remote" in Wildwood. We are looking at a home there now, it will be walking dist to the school, but it DOES back up to the a natural area. It's elevated there, with amazing views. I still have my reservations of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County