U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2018, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
16,290 posts, read 30,834,996 times
Reputation: 21875

Advertisements

Remember to put on sun block on sunny days and overcast days. The sun burns either way around here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2018, 09:27 PM
 
4,147 posts, read 2,388,863 times
Reputation: 2861
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
OptimusPrime69 you are so correct! The general public outside of CA are so wrong about so many things.

I am very pale and sensitive to the sun. I lived in Florida at one point and I was miserable there. I could rarely do anything outside since where I lived was 95 degrees 6 months out of the year and mostly 80s the rest of the time. So then people were surprised at my being excited to move to CA for my husband's job. "But you can't handle the sun and heat." And I've had to explain to them that the average high temps for Thousand Oaks, even in summer is 75. Of course many days it will be much hotter but it's not that solid 90 degree heat for the summer like it is on the east coast southern states. And there are lots of cloudy days in between. I went to weather.com and searched 2017 and counted how many days were over 80 last year. Part of June and maybe half of July and August. Then three days around Sept 1st of 100s. Then right back down to cool.

I also hated the cold. Anything below 40 is too cold for me. So California is just perfect for me. We are thrilled to be here. I don't ever plan on leaving.

So Thousand Oaks should be getting some overcast days then hopefully? I know it sounds silly but I'm excited to experience all of CA's "weather" phenomenons. Pinapple Express, Santa Anas, June Gloom, etc.
The Santa Anas are the worst part of Southern California weather. Although, since Thousand Oaks is so close to the coast, you'll be spared from most of it.

I live in the canyons of Orange County, 20 miles inland, and the Santa Ana winds have happened any time from September to April. Single digit humidity, 80 mile per hour gusts; your skin cracks, nosebleeds, allergies, trash and leaves blowing around the streets, and it can be 80 or even 90 degrees in the middle of December from these winds. Not to mention the smoke from massive wildfires fanned by the winds. These winds last for several days at a time, but they're strongest at night, so it'll be very hard to sleep from all the noisy winds.

I spent ten weeks during the summer in New Orleans, so I know what Florida heat and humidity is like. I tell you what, Gulf Coast heat and humidity is VERY nice compared to those awful Santa Ana winds. Once again, Thousand Oaks is very close to the coast, so hot days are rare, but over in the Inland Empire, heat waves are frequent, long, and severe. And Inland Empire heat might be a dry heat, but because it's far from the coast, there's no breezes to cool you off, not to mention any clouds in the sky because summer rain is very rare in Southern California. That brutal Inland Empire heat makes any muggy day in the Gulf Coast seem like a cakewalk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2018, 12:22 PM
 
Location: NNV
3,433 posts, read 3,101,816 times
Reputation: 6703
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
The Santa Anas are the worst part of Southern California weather. Although, since Thousand Oaks is so close to the coast, you'll be spared from most of it.

I live in the canyons of Orange County, 20 miles inland, and the Santa Ana winds have happened any time from September to April. Single digit humidity, 80 mile per hour gusts; your skin cracks, nosebleeds, allergies, trash and leaves blowing around the streets, and it can be 80 or even 90 degrees in the middle of December from these winds. Not to mention the smoke from massive wildfires fanned by the winds. These winds last for several days at a time, but they're strongest at night, so it'll be very hard to sleep from all the noisy winds.

I spent ten weeks during the summer in New Orleans, so I know what Florida heat and humidity is like. I tell you what, Gulf Coast heat and humidity is VERY nice compared to those awful Santa Ana winds. Once again, Thousand Oaks is very close to the coast, so hot days are rare, but over in the Inland Empire, heat waves are frequent, long, and severe. And Inland Empire heat might be a dry heat, but because it's far from the coast, there's no breezes to cool you off, not to mention any clouds in the sky because summer rain is very rare in Southern California. That brutal Inland Empire heat makes any muggy day in the Gulf Coast seem like a cakewalk.
Thought I would offer our discussion on this on the SB/Riverside board since Mr. Jester seems to be so adamant about the Santa Anas...

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...re-inland.html

And just to complete the thought, the western part of Riverside County DOES receive a cooling breeze at night. Why? Because it is right next to the Santa Ana Canyon and the breeze funnels through Anaheim Hills.

May gray/June gloom is VERY mild compared to anything in Oregon or Washington or even Northern California. It's happening right now and it's a nice change.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2018, 10:57 PM
 
4,147 posts, read 2,388,863 times
Reputation: 2861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Thought I would offer our discussion on this on the SB/Riverside board since Mr. Jester seems to be so adamant about the Santa Anas...

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...re-inland.html

And just to complete the thought, the western part of Riverside County DOES receive a cooling breeze at night. Why? Because it is right next to the Santa Ana Canyon and the breeze funnels through Anaheim Hills.

May gray/June gloom is VERY mild compared to anything in Oregon or Washington or even Northern California. It's happening right now and it's a nice change.
Night time is hardly the time I need a cooling breeze. What about during the day? Sure, maybe Corona and western Riverside gets the breeze, but Jurupa Valley? San Bernardino? Moreno Valley? Places farther inland?

Funny how everyone thinks how nice the Santa Ana winds are. I've read plenty of other threads on city data where people say they prefer blizzards in Colorado or humidity in Alabama over Santa Ana winds, or how during fire season in inland San Diego the Santa Anas have been blowing for three weeks straight. Sure, Thousand Oaks is too close to the coast to receive Santa Anas. But the fact is Inland Empire receives them much more often.

Ok, I admit that June gloom isn't too gloomy compared to Seattle. But then again, Seattle was never a sunny city to begin with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2018, 11:53 AM
 
Location: NNV
3,433 posts, read 3,101,816 times
Reputation: 6703
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Night time is hardly the time I need a cooling breeze. What about during the day? Sure, maybe Corona and western Riverside gets the breeze, but Jurupa Valley? San Bernardino? Moreno Valley?
Actually the breeze starts late afternoon, about 2-4pm. It does get weaker as you go inland, but it does reach Jurupa Valley and Riverside.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2018, 12:49 PM
 
4,147 posts, read 2,388,863 times
Reputation: 2861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Actually the breeze starts late afternoon, about 2-4pm. It does get weaker as you go inland, but it does reach Jurupa Valley and Riverside.
Funny thing is, the breeze is very weak in many parts of South Orange County, which are far closer to the ocean than the IE.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 05:42 AM
 
6 posts, read 5,712 times
Reputation: 15
Depends on the weather patterns during that year (El Nino/La Nina) and the month of that year (April/May/June given it will be stronger and could reach to T.O. area. I remember days where it was persistent cloud well past the afternoon hours (anyone remember the summer of 1999 or lack thereof?). Usually by July/August the gloom is very short and burns off fairly quick by lunchtime. September is really our true summer and October is classic fire season month. Another factor to think of as well is even along the coast certain areas stay notoriously gloomier than others but that is true of all of So. Cal (i.e. areas where water temperatures stay consistently colder seem to be the foggiest).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top