U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2018, 12:55 PM

675 posts, read 981,391 times

Advertisements

This question is for anyone familiar with the Naval bases in the area. I’ll be vacationing in the area and plan to stay at a Navy Lodge. Any recommendations as to which base to stay at? I know they’re fairly close to each oter. Some of the things we’re looking at are quality of the lodge, beach access, facilities on and outside the base.

Thanks for any input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 11:19 AM

45 posts, read 70,190 times
Mugu has a great beach; P.H. does not (it's a deep water port), although there are beaches at the city of P.H. The two bases are within a very short drive of each other (ten minutes +/-).

I'll leave your other questions to others who are more knowledgeable about respective amenities on each base.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:37 PM

2,947 posts, read 2,178,697 times
I've only stayed at Mugu, but I recommend it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl2007 View Post
Any recommendations as to which base to stay at?
Mugu.
Quote:
I know they’re fairly close to each oter.
20 minute drive.
Quote:
Some of the things we’re looking at are quality of the lodge,
Mugu lodge is nice. Tile floors, Kitchenette, nice fixtures/bathrooms. It's Navy, so it's still kinda 1950's and spartan styling, but they have recently renovated and it's pretty nice.
Quote:
beach access,
You are on the beach at Mugu. You can see the water (either the lagoon or the ocean). A short walk to kayak/paddleboard/beach toys rentals. Short walk to the water. Beach is okay. Expect tar balls. Bring baby oil and they rub right off. Water is cold (between 60 and 68ish in the summer, 50-60 in the winter). Family beach is calm but watch out for short but intense riptides on big swells. No problem if you can swim. Can be hazardous for nonswimming children. Aircraft overhead all day. Quiet at night.
Quote:
facilities on
A few fast food places, gas, NEX, playgrounds, beach.
Quote:
and outside the base.
It's a 10-15 minute drive through farmland to get to anything from Mugu. You can get to Malibu beaches and the giant sand hill by driving south on the PCH. Camarillo (10-15 min) has some decent resturants. Thousand Oaks (20-30 min) has even more.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:25 PM

16,290 posts, read 30,809,600 times
As a local I will offer the following:

Point Mugu is far from everything. Not much happening at the base. It is close to Ormond Beach, which is great if you like beaches that are far from everyone. Malibu is closer but still a bit of a drive from Point Mugu. You are surrounded by farmland.

Port Hueneme is within minutes of Hueneme Beach, Silverstrand Beach, Hollywood Beach, Oxnard Shores. Beaches in Ventura are 20 minutes away. Santa Barbara is up the coast. Oxnard has a 14 screen theater down town and a 16 screen theater at the Collection. Oh, that's right. You can visit the collection.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:06 PM

6,118 posts, read 6,845,083 times
Another option to consider is the SeaBee base in Oxnard. It's "next door" to Channel Islands Harbor, and a quick shot up the coast to Ventura.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-02-2018, 09:43 AM

224 posts, read 345,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Another option to consider is the SeaBee base in Oxnard. It's "next door" to Channel Islands Harbor, and a quick shot up the coast to Ventura.

Port Hueneme base is the "Seabee Base"...

Old 07-02-2018, 12:53 PM

675 posts, read 981,391 times
Thanks all!

Old 07-07-2018, 05:38 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,697,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl2007 View Post
This question is for anyone familiar with the Naval bases in the area. I’ll be vacationing in the area and plan to stay at a Navy Lodge. Any recommendations as to which base to stay at? I know they’re fairly close to each oter. Some of the things we’re looking at are quality of the lodge, beach access, facilities on and outside the base.

Thanks for any input!
I've stayed at both about 10 years apart. Mugu is great because you can walk to the water from the hotel. That was the one I stayed at a while back (10+ years). I recall thinking that this is my go-to place when I need to get out of the desert.

We stayed at Port Hueneme about 3 years ago and it had been remodeled to where we got an apartment style hotel - two bedroom with a patio and full sized kitchen. I highly recommend for a big family. We went to the beach at Port Hueneme and silly us, it was a holiday and crowded. I grew up in SB, Ventura and Oxnard as they were my stomping grounds as a teen. I was sad to see that Silverstrand was even crowded (I had a HS friend that lived there in the 80's). That used to be more of a private beach for Silverstrand residents. It was so crowded during the holiday that homeowners were out trying to slow traffic down and protect their driveways and parking areas. Sad

So depending on when you're visiting and what type of vacation you're looking for Mugu may give you more privacy where as Hueneme may give you that busy resort experience. Whenever we think about making reservations at Mugu, they are normally full. Hubs is retired so we try and use his benes.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:41 PM

20,192 posts, read 18,067,088 times
Point Mugu seems almost abandoned, very quiet, barely any shops and away from everything while the Oxnard/Port Hueneme or call it "Seabee" base is in the middle of Oxnard with lots of stuff happening around and on it.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:33 AM

6 posts, read 5,579 times
Depends on what you want, if you want seclusion and immediate beach access do Pt. Mugu. If you want better amenities then Port Hueneme hands down as it actually has a commissary, gym, closer access to things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County