U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 2,682 times

Advertisements

In 2018 can you refuse service dog if landlord lives in 4 or less apt complex?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 12:14 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,154,067 times
An actual CA registered service dog, or do you mean an ESA?

Old 08-06-2018, 08:07 PM

20,741 posts, read 13,745,180 times
OP posted same question in the general CA forum ... and received answers:
Service dog exemptions

To summarize: No. A landlord cannot refuse a legitimate service dog, nor, in most cases, even an ESA, given medical recognition.

The exception the OP refers to is noted in FHAct law as: “... in some cases [a landlord who is an owner resident of a 4 unit or less property may be exempt from certain FHAct laws] ...”

An example would be if such landlord had a medically verifiable allergy to dogs.
Another example was: “... if the animal has acted viciously ...”

I couldn’t find any other exceptions, nor has anyone else come up with any.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:55 PM

2,912 posts, read 10,727,677 times
Not sure how helpful or relevant this might be: My doctor granted me a note stating her recommendation that I have a pet to help me with anxiety and depression after losing my wife. My pet is not a dog. It’s a cat. This is not a service animal of any kind, and neither the doctor’s note nor I make any claims of that. It’s simply a pet cat. However, the note was enough to satisfy my apartment’s management company. Hope this is helpful for someone who doesn’t need an official service animal, but is eased — for good reason — by having a four-legged companion of a reasonable size.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:28 PM

181 posts, read 148,032 times
There are a couple of important points to consider. If by "landlord" you mean someone that is not the building owner and uses the services of a broker to find tenants, then no, the owner of the building (and landlord) cannot decline renting to someone with a licensed service animal (not an ESA). However if the landlord is the owner and obtains tenants on their own, then yes, they do not have to follow the Federal Fair Housing laws regarding protected classes. Furthermore, in cases where the building categorically falls under the FH laws, the landlord/owner must make reasonable accommodations for the tenant unless they can show it would place an undo financial or other burden on the owner of the building. For example, the unit advertised is a 2nd story unit and there are only stairs. The prospective tenant is in a wheelchair. Neither the tenant nor the law can force the building owner to put in an elevator to accommodate the tenant. Or for example, the tenant is blind, the unit is ground floor with one step to a landing. The law could potentially make the building owner put in a handrail to accommodate the tenants visual handicap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County