U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2021, 06:12 PM

1,073 posts, read 737,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Speak for yourself. Many people do compare U.S. taxes to those of other countries and are interested and pleased to see how much we get for our lower taxes here in the U.S.

I think that is the point, the very valid point, that apple92680 made.

Thank You!

I don't like excessive taxation without an accounting of where the money goes. I also don't like "spending for the sake of spending" either. I think that's common sense.

That being said, though, I realize that the better the safety net a state has, the better off its citizens are, and the generally happier they are. People who whine incessantly about California having a "high tax rate" (when the top of the tax rate for the wealthiest is 13%) have no idea what they're whining about, but Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham, and the rest of the talking heads at OAN, NewsMax and FoxBusiness told them to whine, so they do.

A 13% rate for the most wealthy isn't asking very much.

And 8% for the bottom tier isn't asking much either.

Especially when you consider how large California is, and how much the state actually offers it's residents.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 06:56 PM

13,569 posts, read 9,531,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Yes, Texas has a local tax added to the state rate of 6.25%. The difference is not just in the rates though. Texas taxes things that CA does not, such as rentals, software and services which can really add up.
Also, depending on the county, Texas property tax rates can be much higher than what you're used to paying in California, especially if you're been in your home in CA for decades and enjoy the Prop 13 benefits.

Certainly possible to be living in a SF Bay Area home worth $2M, move to a $1M house in Houston (Harris County), and pay 2x the property tax. You'll also find homeowners insurance to possibly be higher as well there.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:01 PM

4,285 posts, read 5,747,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Also, depending on the county, Texas property tax rates can be much higher than what you're used to paying in California, especially if you're been in your home in CA for decades and enjoy the Prop 13 benefits.

Certainly possible to be living in a SF Bay Area home worth $2M, move to a $1M house in Houston (Harris County), and pay 2x the property tax. You'll also find homeowners insurance to possibly be higher as well there.
Not to mention the increased utility costs. Typically, that entails cooling costs but I'm sure the heating bills this coming month are going to be a rude awakening for many.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Not to mention the increased utility costs. Typically, that entails cooling costs but I'm sure the heating bills this coming month are going to be a rude awakening for many.
Yep. Even before the spikes in utility costs this month, it was a given that high summer electric bills are a given.

Heck, i was toying with moving to Houston for retirement - where I can sell my modest home in Santa Clara County and buy a big place in, say, West University Place, Bellaire, even Tanglewood, for half the selling price. But I priced out the property tax, utilities bills, homeowners insurance and (gasp) flood insurance - and it wasn't gonna be appreciatively cheaper on a monthly or yearly basis.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Yep. Even before the spikes in utility costs this month, it was a given that high summer electric bills are a given.

Heck, i was toying with moving to Houston for retirement - where I can sell my modest home in Santa Clara County and buy a big place in, say, West University Place, Bellaire, even Tanglewood, for half the selling price. But I priced out the property tax, utilities bills, homeowners insurance and (gasp) flood insurance - and it wasn't gonna be appreciatively cheaper on a monthly or yearly basis.
Houston probably wouldn't be my top pick for Texas. While I appreciate the diversity and culinary scene, I like Austin or Dallas overall better. But honestly, I don't think any of them would be my top choice for retirement. I'd probably be looking for a slower pace of life in a beach or mountain town. If I did go the city route, I'd probably opt for a condo in the heart of everything.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:10 PM

346 posts, read 318,380 times
"If you look at what Europeans and many Asians pay (35%-65%), that's nothing. Especially when you consider all of the things you have access to such as a variety of natural areas for recreation, cultural amenities, good medical care, good universities, etc.[/quote]

You do realize that Europeans pay A HELL OF A LOT LESS for their "good medical care" and "good universities," right?

Old 02-26-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Houston probably wouldn't be my top pick for Texas. While I appreciate the diversity and culinary scene, I like Austin or Dallas overall better. But honestly, I don't think any of them would be my top choice for retirement. I'd probably be looking for a slower pace of life in a beach or mountain town. If I did go the city route, I'd probably opt for a condo in the heart of everything.
Yeah, come to think of it, I'd like to have a slower pace of life too - I'm not a night owl - in retirement. Austin is actually pretty darned pricey now, especially say Downtown condos in Austin are pretty $$$. Round Rock is a lot more reasonable and is close to a lot of tech companies but it doesn't feel like anything different than Santa Clara - and I'd be looking for a change of pace.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Yeah, come to think of it, I'd like to have a slower pace of life too - I'm not a night owl - in retirement. Austin is actually pretty darned pricey now, especially say Downtown condos in Austin are pretty $$$. Round Rock is a lot more reasonable and is close to a lot of tech companies but it doesn't feel like anything different than Santa Clara - and I'd be looking for a change of pace.
I haven't been very impressed with the small towns in Texas that I've visited. If I were retiring in a small town, it would be some mountain resort town (Jackson Hole, Vail, Aspen, Bend, etc.) or some beach resort town (although I don't know if I could bring myself to move to Florida - I did like Charleston a lot though). Perhaps a university town would be good. I don't know at this point, as we're at least 10-15 years off from retirement. If we stay in the Bay Area until then (a big if), we may buy a vacation condo in one of those resort towns, to spend a lot of time there.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:11 PM

2,989 posts, read 1,885,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranmkp View Post
Live in Texas - I can no longer take it - I'm not going to explain why - all my life here - Im sick of it.

I have friends in Ca and my kids live there - looking into Santa Barbara as I went to school there.

I've asked around and as far as I can see it looks like a wash compared to Texas.

Ca Tax us 1% My Texas tac 2.4%

Ca sales tax is 7.25% My Texas sale tax is 8%

I pay 200-350 a month for air condition/electricty

water is 80 to 120 in Texas - don't know what it is in santa Barbara

I suspect car registranion is a bit more and gas is more expensive in Ca - that is not a big deal - I do have the means.

Slip fees as I have a sailboat are about 10% more

Also use of the use tax if I bring sailboat.

Don't eat a lot of bad stuff so its cheap for us

so what am i missing here? Our house is about 1.4 million - about mid level for santa barbara - I know Ill get less house for sure but god - its santa barbara - you only sleep in the house - your out all day - Houston is cheaper as to housing but its a rathole

thank you
all my life here - looking into Santa Barbara as I went to school there.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:23 PM

2,989 posts, read 1,885,005 times
Quote:

Flood insurance isn't always a requirement around metro Houston. Flooding risk aren't as bad as most other gulf coast cities due to infrastructure and the Feds have actually bought out some homeowners due to flooding risks. In general, Its not as bad as New Orleans or Florida or even coastal Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County