Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 07:38 AM

112 posts, read 130,346 times

Advertisements

Hello! Family of 5 considering a move back to Camarillo next year. Husband will retire from the Navy and pull a pension. Job opportunities should be in the low six figures to start. 3 kids will be in middle and elementary school.

We have toyed with the idea of moving back after he retires. We spent a total of 9 years in Ventura County when he was stationed at Pt. Mugu. I am originally from Santa Barbara County. My mom and brother currently live in Pismo Beach, another brother in San Diego.

We love Camarillo but wonder how realistic it will be to move back. We obviously made it work when we were there previously, but we lived in military housing and that income was not tax. We currently pay VA taxes until he retires. How much money will it take not to struggle? We would be looking at buying a house, but I seriously don't understand how anyone does that without crying LOL. Everything I'm seeing is 600K and up and needs work. Just want to go about this logically! We currently live in MD and it's not for us. Another possibility is FL.

So I ask you, what is the minimum gross income one needs to live comfortably in VC. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 08:55 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Family of 4 prospering here with low-six-figures single income. No nearby relatives around, either. So you should be fine. Wait for the market to go down before buying in.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:36 AM

112 posts, read 130,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Family of 4 prospering here with low-six-figures single income. No nearby relatives around, either. So you should be fine. Wait for the market to go down before buying in.

I hope it does next June!

Old 06-20-2019, 11:54 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Don't hold your breath, though it's possible. I would wait for the waning days of a major recession. Economists are predicting one for the last quarter of 2020, so house prices ought to be bottoming around 2022 or so, if it comes to pass. Since it doesn't look like 2007, house prices will probably lag the rest of the economy, since people will have to first lose their jobs before they lose their houses or walk away from an underwater loan--like they did in the late 2010's.

Do what we did and find the cheapest rental you can live with, save your pennies, and bide your time until the market is right. Consider Santa Paula or somewhere further inland for cheaper rents until you can buy in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County