U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 10:32 AM

1,945 posts, read 2,899,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
No shortage of snobbery in eastern Ventura County, but hey, points for honesty. Anyway, the “Oxnard – Thousand Oaks – Ventura metro area” is a census (or something like that) designation, not a grouping made up by the article’s writer or editors.

That had always been the attitude toward Oxnard for those living in the Thousand Oaks-Newbury Park-Westlake Village area and even before Westlake Village was developed. Likewise, in the early days, TO was considered "hickville" as far as San Fernando Valley was concerned. In high school (TOHS), Oxnard had a horrible reputation (1970-75). TOHS stopped having football games in Oxnard because of violence for a while.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 10:42 AM

11,559 posts, read 11,405,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
My first thought was the abundance of successful people in the entertainment business. Then went to read the article to verify. (Yup.)

However, they said, "Also known as Ventura County, the Oxnard metro area includes the pricey locales of Thousand Oaks (median income: $100,338), Moorpark ($102,145) and Oak Park ($129,721)."

I know people in T.O., Moorpark, and Oak Park would take offense to being called part of the Oxnard metro area. (Owned a house in Moorpark for several years and no way would I accept being part of Oxnard.) These three cities are "up the grade", and are considered a totally different area from the cities on the Oxnard Plain.
There are some in the entertainment industry that live in Ojai.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:21 AM

6,134 posts, read 6,863,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
There are some in the entertainment industry that live in Ojai.
Indeed. Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen come to mind. I understand that they just sold their main home in Ojai, but still have a smaller place in the area.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-17-2019, 01:01 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,533,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcw57 View Post
Poorly researched and written article by some clueless guy at Kiplingers in Washington, D.C. Maybe consult a map and a Wikipedia article on the concerned cities for basic research, if nothing else. He obviously looked at populations and not much more.

Last time I drove through Oxnard (yesterday), its metro area would seem to include Port Hueneme and Ventura, given their proximity. In any event, I'd hardly consider Oxnard a metropolis.
The census bureau strictly defines metropolitan areas of any type by county boundaries. Winch is why all of Ventura county is included, the county is it's own separate metropolitan statistical area. This can sometime portray a less than accurate representation of an area, but it's far better than the alternative of dealing with the mess of individual cities, unincorporated areas, and deciding where exactly the cut off should be for any given MSA.

If anything Eastern Ventura county would be better suited with metro Los Angeles as it's a direct continuation if western Ventura didn't stand on it's own it would be. For CSAs combined statistical areas Ventura county does join Los Angeles, and the inland empire to form the almost 19 million people of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Indeed. Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen come to mind. I understand that they just sold their main home in Ojai, but still have a smaller place in the area.
Reese Witherspoon as well.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:38 PM

2,912 posts, read 10,728,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Reese Witherspoon as well.
Add to Ojai: Rikkie-Lee Jones, Lindsay Wagner, and the late Larry Hagman. Johnny Cash lived in Casitas Springs back in the 60s/70s, or so I'm told. John Steinbeck's son, Tom, lived in Oxnard, according to a C-SPAN special about the late author and his father.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:48 PM

2,912 posts, read 10,728,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
The census bureau strictly defines metropolitan areas of any type by county boundaries. Winch is why all of Ventura county is included, the county is it's own separate metropolitan statistical area. This can sometime portray a less than accurate representation of an area, but it's far better than the alternative of dealing with the mess of individual cities, unincorporated areas, and deciding where exactly the cut off should be for any given MSA.

If anything Eastern Ventura county would be better suited with metro Los Angeles as it's a direct continuation if western Ventura didn't stand on it's own it would be. For CSAs combined statistical areas Ventura county does join Los Angeles, and the inland empire to form the almost 19 million people of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area.
Got me curious. The Census uses metropolitan areas as designated by the government's Office of Budget and Management. Nice overview here: https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...cro/about.html

Old 07-18-2019, 11:45 AM

16,290 posts, read 30,836,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Silverstrand got it's own name, and the Channel Islands Harbor renamed itself so it wouldn't be associated with Oxnard.

It is a pretty horrible-sounding name. Ox nard. Bleh.
Silverstrand along with Hollywood Beach are not in the city of Oxnard. While the Harbor is in the city, the name reflects the idea of the harbor being the gateway to the Channel Islands. Ormond Beach to the South is also part of Oxnard, although I don't hear any reference from you about that beach.

Oxnard Shores on the other hand is in the city of Oxnard. Residents, many that came from the Los Angeles area, tried to change the name to Mandalay Shores. Long time locals both at the beach and other parts of Oxnard were upset about that. The names were then changed to read, Mandalay Shores, and Oxnard Shores Neighborhood.

The idea for a name change comes up often. I may have even started a thread about the name change. Most long time residents prefer it the way it is. Look at our beaches? Beautiful and not overrun with people. Head up to Santa Barbara or over to Malibu and too many people. If the name keeps people away, then I am all for it.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:43 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,187,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Silverstrand along with Hollywood Beach are not in the city of Oxnard. While the Harbor is in the city, the name reflects the idea of the harbor being the gateway to the Channel Islands. Ormond Beach to the South is also part of Oxnard, although I don't hear any reference from you about that beach.

Oxnard Shores on the other hand is in the city of Oxnard. Residents, many that came from the Los Angeles area, tried to change the name to Mandalay Shores. Long time locals both at the beach and other parts of Oxnard were upset about that. The names were then changed to read, Mandalay Shores, and Oxnard Shores Neighborhood.

The idea for a name change comes up often. I may have even started a thread about the name change. Most long time residents prefer it the way it is. Look at our beaches? Beautiful and not overrun with people. Head up to Santa Barbara or over to Malibu and too many people. If the name keeps people away, then I am all for it.
The Ventura Harbor wasn't named "Santa Cruz Harbor". Channel Islands harbor most certainly was named after a feature that's 10 miles away because they didn't want to call it "Oxnard Harbor".

For the record, I don't care about the name. Oxnard is a nice place, if a bit flat and beach-breaky. I always assumed Shores, Hollywood Beach, and Silverstrand were part of the nard.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Add to Ojai: Rikkie-Lee Jones, Lindsay Wagner, and the late Larry Hagman. Johnny Cash lived in Casitas Springs back in the 60s/70s, or so I'm told. John Steinbeck's son, Tom, lived in Oxnard, according to a C-SPAN special about the late author and his father.
That's right!!

Ricky Nelson didn't live in Ojai, but he participated in the annual tennis tournaments (and dang, I missed getting to see him!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County