U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 12:23 AM

6,139 posts, read 6,871,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
That's right!!

Ricky Nelson didn't live in Ojai, but he participated in the annual tennis tournaments (and dang, I missed getting to see him!!).
Saw him sing at the Wild Animal Park outside Escondido. We had a yearly pass and at that time, they put on concerts in the park on Saturday evenings during the summer. The kind where you brought a wagon with your dinner and a blanket to sit upon. He showed up late and was drunk as a skunk. Still put on a good show. Ray Orbison performed one Saturday. What a voice and talent, both of them.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 07-22-2019 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: typo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 10:05 AM

16,290 posts, read 30,847,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
The Ventura Harbor wasn't named "Santa Cruz Harbor". Channel Islands harbor most certainly was named after a feature that's 10 miles away because they didn't want to call it "Oxnard Harbor".

For the record, I don't care about the name. Oxnard is a nice place, if a bit flat and beach-breaky. I always assumed Shores, Hollywood Beach, and Silverstrand were part of the nard.
Since you brought it up, I did a little digging. The US Army Core of Engineers created the harbor back in 1960 on land that was part of the County of Ventura. Under part of the proposal to get the Harbor developed the county asked Oxnard to annex the land for a 50 year time frame. Both the County and the City would split the property tax revenue. Oxnard would maintain the roads, green space, and public restroom facilities. After the 50 year time frame ended the city could continue to maintain the area and share in the Property tax revenue, or choose to walk away. In 2018 the City of Oxnard decided to no longer continue the partnership with the County.

As a kid I always called it Oxnard Harbor and continue to do so today. Many people I know call it the Oxnard Harbor. Realize though, that unlike Ventura Harbor, which has always been a part of the city, Oxnard Harbor was not part of the city of Oxnard when it was built, Oxnard Harbor has always been under the jurisdiction of the Count, and about the only thing that Oxnard can lay claim to is having annexed the land around the Harbor.

So now we all know the rest of the story.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:20 AM

865 posts, read 1,736,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Since you brought it up, I did a little digging. The US Army Core of Engineers created the harbor back in 1960 on land that was part of the County of Ventura. Under part of the proposal to get the Harbor developed the county asked Oxnard to annex the land for a 50 year time frame. Both the County and the City would split the property tax revenue. Oxnard would maintain the roads, green space, and public restroom facilities. After the 50 year time frame ended the city could continue to maintain the area and share in the Property tax revenue, or choose to walk away. In 2018 the City of Oxnard decided to no longer continue the partnership with the County.

As a kid I always called it Oxnard Harbor and continue to do so today. Many people I know call it the Oxnard Harbor. Realize though, that unlike Ventura Harbor, which has always been a part of the city, Oxnard Harbor was not part of the city of Oxnard when it was built, Oxnard Harbor has always been under the jurisdiction of the Count, and about the only thing that Oxnard can lay claim to is having annexed the land around the Harbor.

So now we all know the rest of the story.
I wonder if that has anything to do with why it was such a depressed area, last time I was through there. Ventura Harbor was always such a nicer and more bustling place to be, while Channel Island Harbor looked like it wanted to be cute, they could just never seen to keep people coming there? I wonder if not being a part of a city, which could offer resources, is the problem? Unless that has changed in the last few years, it was like a ghost town.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:53 PM

2,912 posts, read 10,730,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
I wonder if that has anything to do with why it was such a depressed area, last time I was through there. Ventura Harbor was always such a nicer and more bustling place to be, while Channel Island Harbor looked like it wanted to be cute, they could just never seen to keep people coming there? I wonder if not being a part of a city, which could offer resources, is the problem? Unless that has changed in the last few years, it was like a ghost town.
The Fisherman's Village in Channel Islands Harbor used to be bustling with locals and tourists alike, at the gift shops, galleries and restaurants. That was back in the 90s. I'm no expert on the nuts and bolts of it, but from casual observation of the happenings, it strikes me that there's a lot of disagreement about exactly what to do at the southwest corner of Victoria and Channel Islands Boulevard. Plus, as has been mentioned, details of agreements between the County (Harbor Administrator), and the City of Oxnard have kept all plans in limbo. In the mean time, tenants left as leases were either terminated, not renewed, or otherwise disincentivized. One by one the shops and restaurants closed, the buildings fell into disrepair, and now to where only one or two stoic tenants remain.

Plans for so called "high-end" condos with mixed use (i.e. shops on the first floor), it seems, have not been popular with locals. I'm sure a lot of long-time Ventura Countans remember the bitter fights over the Boating Center. Should it be on the east, industrial, side of the harbor, where prevailing wind conditions were unfavorable? Or, should it be on the west, residential, side, where wind conditions were favorable? Ultimately, a west-harbor park-like area with cypress trees and bird rookeries was cleared out and the Center built near the Whale's Tale restaurant.

Compared to Ventura Harbor Village, Channel Islands seems to have more bureaucratic and political layers to make changes simple. Again, just a casual observer here of 25 or so years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County