Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 07:35 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What's next? Pronouncing La Jolla as "La JAL-la"?
Don't give 'em any ideas. Remember in Texas that one town is not pronounced "Amareeo"; they say "AmariLLo. Then again, Frank Zappa said "CamariLLo Brillo."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 09:53 AM

430 posts, read 283,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Don't give 'em any ideas. Remember in Texas that one town is not pronounced "Amareeo"; they say "AmariLLo. Then again, Frank Zappa said "CamariLLo Brillo."
Yeah, but that was Frank Zappa. He also named his kids Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet and Diva. I saw him about 1969? at the Forum...I even remember part of it!

Old 02-26-2020, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 2,466 times
Never noticed anyone saying Venchura and have been a fan of the song for many years and never heard Venchura in the song. Just went back and re-listened and sure enough... it's there - Venchura. I personally don't like Venchura and it would be weird pronouncing it that way, but these days when you hear people pronouncing "STR" words like "street" "destruction" and "Extreme" as "Shtreet" "Deshtruction" and "Exshtreme" seems like anything goes, so maybe no one would notice if you said Venchura. Worst case scenario, people might wonder if you were born in 1899 but look really good for your age or if you're from out of town.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 645 times
”Ventura” comes from the Italian, Portuguese and Spanish words for ”fortune.” Do you say For-tune or for-chin?

Old 05-26-2021, 03:46 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by july1962 View Post
”Ventura” comes from the Italian, Portuguese and Spanish words for ”fortune.” Do you say For-tune or for-chin?
I say for-chin and Ven-chura. Sounds like I'm putting on airs when I say Ven-toorah.

I also say Poli Po-lye. Not Polly.

I have no idea how to say Sanjon. San wahn? San hone? San John?

Old 06-18-2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I say for-chin and Ven-chura. Sounds like I'm putting on airs when I say Ven-toorah.

I also say Poli Po-lye. Not Polly.

I have no idea how to say Sanjon. San wahn? San hone? San John?
Sanjon is pronounced “San-hone”

Old 06-18-2021, 11:59 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
I'm from a town in PA called Norristown. Seems simple enough, right? But no. Outsiders pronounce it "Noor-is-town", as opposed to the local pronunciation, "Nahr-is-town". Well, come to think of it, we also say "Flahr-i-da" when everyone else pronounces it "Floor-i-da".

Our Lancaster in PA is also pronounced "Lank-ister" as opposed to the one in CA that I think is "Lan-cas-ter".

I think most cities in the south that end in "ville" are pronounced as "vul" by the locals.

Old 06-19-2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Our Lancaster in PA is also pronounced "Lank-ister" as opposed to the one in CA that I think is "Lan-cas-ter".
I’ve heard the one in California referred to as “Landskatter”.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:48 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I'm from a town in PA called Norristown. Seems simple enough, right? But no. Outsiders pronounce it "Noor-is-town", as opposed to the local pronunciation, "Nahr-is-town". Well, come to think of it, we also say "Flahr-i-da" when everyone else pronounces it "Floor-i-da".

I think most cities in the south that end in "ville" are pronounced as "vul" by the locals.
Uh, Florida is "floor a duh".

Old 06-25-2021, 04:27 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
In San Antonio the street is pronounce San Pay Dro but in LA its San Pee Dro. (San Pedro Ave SA- San Pedro Street LA).

In California its San Marcos but in Texas its usually pronounced San Marcus (even though its spelled Marcos).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County