U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 6,645 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have wanted to live in Westlake Village for years. We live in the North San Fernando Valley. We can only purchase a shared wall type home there as it is so much more money out that way.

Is it still as peaceful and crime free as in the past or is everything catching up there as well now?

I would appreciate any comments.

Such a big decision as we have a nice single family home now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 09:16 AM

427 posts, read 222,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey moo View Post
My husband and I have wanted to live in Westlake Village for years. We live in the North San Fernando Valley. We can only purchase a shared wall type home there as it is so much more money out that way.

Is it still as peaceful and crime free as in the past or is everything catching up there as well now?

It is quite peaceful compared to many parts of the SFV, and crime rates are low. Those characteristics are true of most of the Thousand Oaks and Moorpark area as well. You may find a little lower housing cost in those, but if you can afford WV, and that's what you want, go for it while the interest rates are low!

Old 10-07-2019, 01:11 PM
DKM

6,782 posts, read 3,265,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey moo View Post

Do you have kids you want to (will?) put in our schools? Then its worth every bit of effort. Otherwise, unless it enhances your commute I don't know if its worth the premium over the rest of Thousand Oaks.

Crime in the area tends to be closer to the freeways like anywhere in California. The farther away, the more "crime free" it gets. On the other hand, with the advent of google maps it makes it easier for out of town criminals to target where they want to hit so some burglary does occur even further away from the 101. Relative to the valley though, its safe as there are few areas for criminals to live near here. In other words, the high COL keeps dysfunctional adults living near here to a minimum. Its the reality nobody says in public...

Speaking of crime though, it seems the LA county side has a bit more issues since they don't have the police coverage the Thousand Oaks side does. TO police are top notch and they keep "their side" of Westlake Village very safe.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:55 PM

112 posts, read 108,289 times
My stress level goes down a ton whenever I'm driving west on the 10 as soon as I get over the hill from SFV. Westlake/TO is a much calmer and less crowded area.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:44 PM

3,033 posts, read 2,767,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanadoodle View Post
My stress level goes down a ton whenever I'm driving west on the 10 as soon as I get over the hill from SFV. Westlake/TO is a much calmer and less crowded area.
Are there a lot of nice trails in the area? How crowded are the outdoor spaces?

Old 08-29-2020, 08:12 PM

8,337 posts, read 4,319,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The "outdoor spaces" were on fire not too long ago. Remember this, the next time it rain a lot, there...

Old 08-30-2020, 09:16 PM

8,743 posts, read 11,906,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Speaking of crime though, it seems the LA county side has a bit more issues since they don't have the police coverage the Thousand Oaks side does. TO police are top notch and they keep "their side" of Westlake Village very safe.
I lived in WLV many years ago and it was extremely safe. People are friendly and lots of greenbelts walkways in between residence.

I read a theory many years ago. Heavy CHP presence on the 101 = stop criminals from exiting into local communities. This proved out to work in both TO/WLV, Agoura, and even in Simi Valley. There's only one FWY to get out and they have it blocked both ways.

As for wild fires, I too lived through the Malibu fires but as long as you live in the city proper, the FD will contain the fire for property protection. There're just too much money around for FD *not* to respond. No worries.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:09 PM
DKM

6,782 posts, read 3,265,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The nearby trail system is unrivaled in the world considering its close proximity to a major metro area. From my driveway, I can walk 1 minute to the nearest trailhead and from there its virtually unlimited. Within a 10-15 minute drive are popular hikes that can go for 10 miles or more with extremely varied terrain, often through an area featured in some TV show, car commercials. Ocean views, mountain views, lake and city views. Hike along a (seasonal) stream, among waterfalls, or scale peaks with technical climbing available. Yes some of it burned 2 years ago, but a lot of it has regrown already.

The closer to LA, the more crowded the trails get.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
The nearby trail system is unrivaled in the world considering its close proximity to a major metro area. From my driveway, I can walk 1 minute to the nearest trailhead and from there its virtually unlimited. Within a 10-15 minute drive are popular hikes that can go for 10 miles or more with extremely varied terrain, often through an area featured in some TV show, car commercials. Ocean views, mountain views, lake and city views. Hike along a (seasonal) stream, among waterfalls, or scale peaks with technical climbing available. Yes some of it burned 2 years ago, but a lot of it has regrown already.

The closer to LA, the more crowded the trails get.
Do you think that the "Lake Sherwood area" (perhaps the Country Club) is good for someone looking for a more bucolic lifestyle with reasonable access to a major city? Quiet, upscale, nice small shopping center, and good for hiking/dog walking—is this area a good fit for that? Are Calabasas and Hidden Hills good or better options?

Old 11-19-2020, 01:06 PM

Also, are there any issues with living in unincorporated Ventura County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County