U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 09:56 AM

2,947 posts, read 2,178,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Citing coronavirus concerns, Ventura County closes beaches for 4th of July weekend:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...f-july-weekend

At least 176 test positive for coronavirus at Ventura County farmworker housing complex:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ousing-complex
Yup. They reversed course today. Lunacy!

Instead of letting people spend at least some of their day spread out on the sand in the open air with a nice seabreeze mixing out the infectious particles, they're pushing people to spend the ENTIRE 3 DAY WEEKEND at indoor bars and restaurants. Or--much worse--longer-duration and larger home indoor gatherings.

This is such a huge mistake. Ventura is pretending like it is protecting itself from a flood of LA beachgoers, but they're still going to come for the open bars, resturants, and AirBNB's. Instead of shooting off fireworks on the beach, they'll be lighting them in the hills and starting brush fires.

A family that might have come up, hit the beach, used the bathrooms, and then headed back to LA with some take-out without having spread the virus, is now going to come up, find the beach closed, crowd the downtown, go into the candy shop, hit the brewery, acquiring and spreading COVID to salespeople and food service workers.

AND/OR they'll stay home in the AC and have a stream of unmasked friends over, acquiring and spreading COVID. Then they'll bring it up next weekend when the beaches reopen and everybody revenge-travels. If LA gets it, we get it.

Closing the beach but leaving restaurants/retail open is like carefully hanging up your tools inside a burning barn.

Local officials need to stop pretending like there is anything that can be done to stop this epidemic (in America), and start expanding hospital capacity and protecting vital infrastructure for the inevitable wave that's coming.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 12:39 PM

24,920 posts, read 23,102,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Yup. They reversed course today. Lunacy!

A family that might have come up, hit the beach, used the bathrooms, and then headed back to LA with some take-out without having spread the virus, is now going to come up, find the beach closed, crowd the downtown, go into the candy shop, hit the brewery, acquiring and spreading COVID to salespeople and food service workers.
What I don't get is that with this advance notice, can't people just stay home, barbeque in their backyard or or on their patio, and delay the beach trip for a few more weeks (months?). Why would they even come to Ventura, knowing beaches will be closed?

Old 07-01-2020, 05:07 PM
DKM

6,782 posts, read 3,255,736 times
Yeah I have a hard time following your logic that beach closures mean we all have to get together in restaurants. Or that people have to obtain and use illegal fireworks in the hills.

Also not understanding your demand that we stop trying to slow the spread of the virus. Isn't that the health officials job?

Old 07-01-2020, 05:37 PM

There's no evidence of spread at beaches. Especially spread-out non-Florida-spring-break California beaches.

There's tons of evidence of spread at home gatherings, restaurants (now sort of closed), grocery stores, bars (now sort of closed).

ENCOURAGE people to go to wide open outdoor spaces instead of leaving them no entertainment option but crowded house parties.

Quote:
Also not understanding your demand that we stop trying to slow the spread of the virus. Isn't that the health officials job?
Not saying don't try. Mask, test, contact trace, keep businesses closed, try to get the message out for people to stay out of doors and far apart.

I'm saying don't stick your head in the sand and think that some magical force is going to stop COVID-19. We tried our best with the 1st shutdown and all we got was a standstill. From here on out it is going to be an upward trajectory. We need to prepare for the worst, because it is coming, no matter what we do.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:45 PM

2,175 posts, read 1,388,403 times
Quote:

I'm saying don't stick your head in the sand and think that some magical force is going to stop COVID-19. We tried our best with the 1st shutdown and all we got was a standstill. From here on out it is going to be an upward trajectory. We need to prepare for the worst, because it is coming, no matter what we do.
This is reality.

Last edited by volosong; 07-02-2020 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: fixed close quote hypertag

Old 07-03-2020, 03:38 PM

I thought the ****ing was good enough. I was enjoying city-data's new profanity-screening feature so I thought I didn't have to police my own language. It used to just automatically reject posts with any profanity.

Thanks for the head's up. I'll go back to keeping it clean. Sorry about that!

Old 07-03-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
There's no evidence of spread at beaches. Especially spread-out non-Florida-spring-break California beaches.
I'm not sure that's true, though. If it were, how did 2 Newport Beach lifeguards and 4 San Diego lifeguards get the virus? And if there's no scientific evidence that traces this virus to people congregating at the beach, why does the CDC list all these warnings? Let's hope that they're not just closing beaches without some kind of link.

Guiding Principles to Keep in Mind at the Beach

Lowest risk: Staff and beach visitors stay at least 6 feet away from people they don’t live with. Staff and beach visitors do not share food, equipment, toys, or supplies with people they don’t live with.

More risk: Staff and beach visitors get closer — less than 6 feet away from people they don’t live with but who live in the same local area*. Staff and beach visitors limit their sharing of food, equipment, toys, or supplies with others — for example, they share only with a next-door neighbor.

Highest risk: Staff and beach visitors get closer — less than 6 feet away from people who live in a different area** where the spread of the virus might be greater. Staff and beach visitors freely share their food, equipment, toys, or supplies with others, even people they don’t know.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...c-beaches.html

Old 07-03-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I'm not sure that's true, though. If it were, how did 2 Newport Beach lifeguards and 4 San Diego lifeguards get the virus? And if there's no scientific evidence that traces this virus to people congregating at the beach, why does the CDC list all these warnings? Let's hope that they're not just closing beaches without some kind of link.
Even lifeguards go to grocery stores every once in a while.

Quote:
Let's hope that they're not just closing beaches without some kind of link.
Hahahahahahaha.

Good one.

Lets hope all these shot-in-the-dark orders are "based on science".

Yeah. Hope.

If they were based on any sort of logic or science, it would be published and highlighted. No, this is just spitballing. 4 months of virus. 4 months of "contact tracing" and we still have county health officials "baffled" about how the virus is spreading, and just taking wild guesses. No, they're just not doing their jobs.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:18 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,769,653 times
It’s ironic the two counties and their cities that kept their beaches open throughout the pandemic during March and April and fought tooth and nail, jumped fences, sued and gave Newsom the middle finger when he ordered otherwise, are shutting beaches on their own will in July. On the beach cam Newport Beach is setting up full height fences today. And Orange County is shutting down county owned beaches too. Contrary to the low barrier that surf enthusiatics jumped over easily last May. Ironcally this time State beaches would stay open with parking lots closed.

I be curious whether city governments are afraid their would be too many tents and gazebos be set up on beaches with “block parties” huddled inside to wait for nonexistent fireworks.

Apparently the scary precedent the last few months is that the government can literally trespass you from the sidewalk or street in front of your home, or other shared spaces payed by your taxes, or natural open spaces given to you by God/Nature, or even your own home if they want to. Otherwise they would treat people as if no lives matter and everything is a previlege. Apparently makes me remember the word from Timon’s mother in Lion King 1 1/2 that everything the light touches belongs to someone else. Apparently we are all Meerkats in this world. Though protestors/looters of a certain bias get a pass, however At the same time law abiding citizens and property owners get trespassed from their own property in the form of curfews, leave their property unguarded from looters. I am not by any means saying that peaceful protestors should be arrested nor am I against peaceful protests.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Even lifeguards go to grocery stores every once in a while.
No one is getting this virus from grocery shopping. Come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County