U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 09:56 AM

16,290 posts, read 30,809,600 times

Advertisements

I work in a hospital and see things first hand. I agree that percentage wise the numbers may not justify wearing a mask. Please tell that to our patients. I know of seven employees that found out how important social distancing and wearing masks is. Two of those people went to a party because the city was opened. They then went to a barbq with a couple other of the seven employees. Those two went to work and ended up getting three others sick. We had 7 people out because of that party that the first two guys went to. We had another 11 that were out because they associated with someone in that group of seven. They had to quarantine for two weeks because it can take that long for the Corona virus to manifest.

I also believe in freedom. Do what you want. Wear a mask, Don't wear a mask. Not my decision to make. I know what I will be doing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 11:57 AM

931 posts, read 627,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I work in a hospital and see things first hand. I agree that percentage wise the numbers may not justify wearing a mask. Please tell that to our patients. I know of seven employees that found out how important social distancing and wearing masks is. Two of those people went to a party because the city was opened. They then went to a barbq with a couple other of the seven employees. Those two went to work and ended up getting three others sick. We had 7 people out because of that party that the first two guys went to. We had another 11 that were out because they associated with someone in that group of seven. They had to quarantine for two weeks because it can take that long for the Corona virus to manifest.

I also believe in freedom. Do what you want. Wear a mask, Don't wear a mask. Not my decision to make. I know what I will be doing.
Did the sick ones end up in ICU; did the they die? If not, it just shows that the virus is contagious, like a zillion other flus etc.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:16 AM

16,290 posts, read 30,809,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Did the sick ones end up in ICU; did the they die? If not, it just shows that the virus is contagious, like a zillion other flus etc.
I am not here to knock anyone else's choice to wear or not wear. I do know that people get sick from the Corona Virus. By the way, it is not the Influenza Virus, which is what causes the Flu.

CoViD19 is now called SARS-CoV-19. It is a virus that has similar symptoms as the flu. Also SARS has things that the Flu does not have. They are different. People do in fact die from both the flu and SARS.

SARS stands for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. You may recall we had another SARS that came out a few years back.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:48 AM

6,118 posts, read 6,845,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
SARS stands for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. You may recall we had another SARS that came out a few years back.
Not trying to be combative in any way. Maybe my memory is poor, but I remember in the last/original SARS episode, there doesn't seem to have been the panic or widespread worry that this current SARS is causing. Why the difference in responses?

Is this one just 'worse'? Don't remember people wearing masks last time and I can't remember myself being particularly concerned. Maybe I was just outside the high-risk group and now I'm in it.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-10-2020, 04:42 PM

2,947 posts, read 2,178,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Not trying to be combative in any way. Maybe my memory is poor, but I remember in the last/original SARS episode, there doesn't seem to have been the panic or widespread worry that this current SARS is causing. Why the difference in responses?

Is this one just 'worse'? Don't remember people wearing masks last time and I can't remember myself being particularly concerned. Maybe I was just outside the high-risk group and now I'm in it.
The "last" SARS was too lethal for it's own good. It was also not spread by asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic carriers. I think the final IFR was around 5%, while COVID-19 is more like 0.25%.

There was a HUGE reaction to the earlier SARS in Asia. In fact, it "trained" those societies to prepare for COVID-19 and is probably the reason most Asian countries have controlled, and many have eliminated, community spread of COVID-19. SARS popularized mask-wearing in general, and especially during epidemics. Every advertisement for any sort of cold/flu medicine in Taiwan has every person wearing masks, even long before the current pandemic.

The reason it wasn't a big deal in the USA is that very few cases made it out of Asia before the epidemic was controlled and quashed. The high death rate and lower rate of spread allowed China, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan to stop outbreaks and isolate carriers. The overall social reaction of staying home when you got sick (with the original SARS) meant that a mutation that created a harmless (and less infectious) variant of the virus quickly became the dominant strain (and made those who contracted it immune to the deadly original virus). The deadly strain died out when carriers of it isolated before they could spread it, and the harmless strain just sort of faded away. I think it still exists in low levels in places, and a vaccine was in work, but nobody thought it was worth funding. Until COVID-19 appeared, that is. I think some vaccines currently in-work are building off the partially-complete original SARS vaccine.

Now somebody come along and tell me how wrong I was about some of the nits.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:59 AM

24,920 posts, read 23,102,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
...it just shows that the virus is contagious, like a zillion other flus etc.
A simple video clip that shows just why COVID-19 is not like the flu: contagion factor, fatality rate, etc. Explained very clearly in the first couple of minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVIG...ature=youtu.be

Old 07-12-2020, 12:59 AM

41,182 posts, read 22,661,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Yup. They reversed course today. Lunacy!

Instead of letting people spend at least some of their day spread out on the sand in the open air with a nice seabreeze mixing out the infectious particles, they're pushing people to spend the ENTIRE 3 DAY WEEKEND at indoor bars and restaurants. Or--much worse--longer-duration and larger home indoor gatherings.

This is such a huge mistake. Ventura is pretending like it is protecting itself from a flood of LA beachgoers, but they're still going to come for the open bars, resturants, and AirBNB's. Instead of shooting off fireworks on the beach, they'll be lighting them in the hills and starting brush fires.

A family that might have come up, hit the beach, used the bathrooms, and then headed back to LA with some take-out without having spread the virus, is now going to come up, find the beach closed, crowd the downtown, go into the candy shop, hit the brewery, acquiring and spreading COVID to salespeople and food service workers.

AND/OR they'll stay home in the AC and have a stream of unmasked friends over, acquiring and spreading COVID. Then they'll bring it up next weekend when the beaches reopen and everybody revenge-travels. If LA gets it, we get it.

Closing the beach but leaving restaurants/retail open is like carefully hanging up your tools inside a burning barn.

Local officials need to stop pretending like there is anything that can be done to stop this epidemic (in America), and start expanding hospital capacity and protecting vital infrastructure for the inevitable wave that's coming.
That's an odd conclusion to come to. If I want to go the beach and the beach is closed I don't go to a bar instead...why would I?

Old 07-13-2020, 09:56 AM

2,947 posts, read 2,178,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's an odd conclusion to come to. If I want to go the beach and the beach is closed I don't go to a bar instead...why would I?
You've rented an AirBnB with friends with the intent to hit the beach every day for the long holiday weekend in Ventura. Authorities are chasing people off the beach, but downtown restaurants and bars are open. What do you do with yourself for the next 3 days? Sit inside your rented studio and stare at your buddies?

Old 07-13-2020, 10:10 AM

41,182 posts, read 22,661,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
You've rented an AirBnB with friends with the intent to hit the beach every day for the long holiday weekend in Ventura. Authorities are chasing people off the beach, but downtown restaurants and bars are open. What do you do with yourself for the next 3 days? Sit inside your rented studio and stare at your buddies?
Go hiking, travel to a place with an open beach, party at the AirBnB, if allowed rent a boat. Sitting in a bar for 3 days would be at the bottom of my list. But wouldn't bars and indoor dining be closed if the beaches were?

Old 07-16-2020, 01:08 AM
DKM

6,782 posts, read 3,255,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But wouldn't bars and indoor dining be closed if the beaches were?
They are closed now.. and beaches are open. Maybe they listened to WAC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County