U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 09:04 AM

48 posts, read 116,673 times

Advertisements

There is a neighborhood south of Telephone off of Jasper ( Big Horn ) we have become interested Could anyone please provide their comments regarding this area as to safety, conveniences , etc. We are a retired couple looking to move to Ventura proper.
Thanks
Luke 12
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 12:51 PM

2,947 posts, read 2,179,658 times
It's a nice, quiet neighborhood. Chumash park is well-kept with two nice play areas, big mature shade trees, a bike path, basketball courts, bathrooms, and a big grassy picnic area.

The neighborhood you're talking about is very family friendly and great for casual walks and bicycling. On a bike, you can easily get to the Grocery Outlet (not my favorite supermarket, but okay and cheap for some stuff) commercial center, the aquatic center (great resource, but often cold thanks to Ventura's cool climate), a slew of churches, the (Vietnamese) Buddhist center, and the golf course and surrounding sports fields.

It has a "inland" Ventura climate which is typically cool cloudy mornings with earlier burn-off of the marine layer. 80% of your days will be low of 60 and high of 75. It can get a little warm during heat waves that far inland, so I'd suggest central A/C.

It's FAR eastern Ventura, which is hardcore suburbs sprawling across what used to be citrus farmland. A mix of nice older neighborhoods and newer, better-planned developments.

Positives:
+ Far enough from the center of things to avoid most of the vagrancy issues that plague downtown, parks, and greenways.
+ Low crime.
+ Quiet.
+ Good schools (for the area).
+ Decent Freeway Access.

Negatives:
- Farther from everything (beach, downtown, DMV, anything but neighborhood shopping).
- Slightly hotter/colder climate for being inland.
- The SB 126 FWY doesn't connect to the SB 101. So it takes significantly longer to go anywhere to the south, because you have to take Victoria or some other surface street with a ton of lights. Expect longer trips to (Oxnard, TO, LA). You can take the 118 or other routes, but it's just kind of a pain compared to the effortless FWY access downtown.

I'd say it's just about perfect for a retired homebody who expects to be able to drive for many more years (until automatic cars can ferry us all around). If you are the type that likes to go out downtown and/or visits sister cities, LA, or SB every day, you might want to look for something more central.

Where are you coming from?

Old 07-16-2020, 01:33 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,800,245 times
Agree with everything wac said...except...I always enjoyed the drive down the 118 to Moorpark. It can be a busy road, but it’s nice to drive through the lemon groves and farm fields instead of the zero scenery freeway. And the bonus is, that way takes you right past Underwood’s farm stand in Somis, one of the best in the whole country, IMO. At least once a day I consider moving back just for their heirloom tomatoes. If you’re commuting every day, I guess better freeway access might be important, but if not, you’re moving to a really nice spot...I’m envious.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Agree with everything wac said...except...I always enjoyed the drive down the 118 to Moorpark. It can be a busy road, but it’s nice to drive through the lemon groves and farm fields instead of the zero scenery freeway. And the bonus is, that way takes you right past Underwood’s farm stand in Somis, one of the best in the whole country, IMO. At least once a day I consider moving back just for their heirloom tomatoes. If you’re commuting every day, I guess better freeway access might be important, but if not, you’re moving to a really nice spot...I’m envious.
I agree, the 118 is a beautiful relaxing drive. It's just a lot slower than the 101...

...sometimes.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:22 AM

48 posts, read 116,673 times
Default Ventura Proper

Thanks to all Have also come across an area west of Victoria between Loma Vista and Foothill Any comments or feedback regarding safety etc would be appreciated. We are empty nesters and prefer a more mature neighborhood versus young families
Thanks
Luke 12

Old 07-28-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke12 View Post
Thanks to all Have also come across an area west of Victoria between Loma Vista and Foothill Any comments or feedback regarding safety etc would be appreciated. We are empty nesters and prefer a more mature neighborhood versus young families
Thanks
Luke 12
I wouldn't go there based on your criteria. Poinsettia and Mound Elementary schools are there, plus Buena High School. Mound is a magnet, but families with young children like to live in that area anyway.

The commercial plaza has the town's best Chinese place (Peking) plus a couple of well-kept anchor chain stores (Vons, CVS) and a Starbucks. HOWEVER, it is FLOODED with boisterous highschoolers every day before and after school. They probably trickle over during the day as well.

The Starbucks at 730AM is a real sight to see. Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth and I was in High School, Nobody had even heard of having $8 to drop on a Venti Frappachino every freaking morning.

Then again, I went to a hick school, so maybe things were different elsewhere.

If you want somewhere safe with mostly older people, I'd aim for the area between the hospitals and the foothills. What people refer to as "Behind CMH or VCMC." The foothills, themselves, are mostly older people because the prices are astronomical (can't afford them if you have kids) and the views are spectacular. Fire danger is extreme once you get above foothill, though. Be prepared to pay a lot for insurance and possibly lose your stuff in a fire. Also expect to evacuate once every few years anywhere above Loma Vista and possibly Telegraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County