Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 14,599 times

Advertisements

Job is Oxnard, where to live, looking for

-Safe areas
-Has to be Within 15 mins drive (job is in Oxnard, right off highway 101)

Looking for nice small home in good neighborhood, what would be price range, choices? Is there also a lot of traffic west bound? I'm thinking of Camarillo and Thousand oaks but not sure if thousand oaks is too far. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 01:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,051,654 times
Camarillo or Ojai would be my guess. Or T.O. but there would probably be traffic to contend with. I haven't lived there so I have no prices.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,589,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shosta View Post

-Safe areas

Looking for nice small home in good neighborhood, what would be price range, choices? Is there also a lot of traffic west bound? I'm thinking of Camarillo and Thousand oaks but not sure if thousand oaks is too far. thank you.
Price range?
Your age?
Kids?
Married?

If single and enjoy typical things single people like try Ventura. If married and if budget allows, then Thousand Oaks (virtually no bad areas) or Camarillo (virtually flawless weather).

Traffic from TO is closer to 30 minutes but it should move heading west in the morning.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 PM

81 posts, read 338,856 times
Just don't live in Oxnard. UGH!!! I lived in the Channel Islands area for about a year in 2006. Couldn't wait to get out. The city is just dead.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:02 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,058,333 times
Quote:

-Safe areas

Why not Oxnard or Ventura? Many great choices and neighborhoods in both cities.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 25,176 times
Quote:
Oxnard and Ventura DO have some very nice places that would be within a 15 min drive. Depending on where in Oxnard Camarillo could be 20-25 min.

good luck!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:17 PM

100 posts, read 542,805 times
Camarillo
Ventura except for Ventura Avenue corridor ("the avenue")
Northern and western Oxnard (east and south of downtown is mainly run down and has its share of gangs and illegals)

Old 06-14-2008, 10:49 AM

162 posts, read 571,654 times
If you look in TO choose the Newbury Park area for a better morning commute. I know the difference seems negligible but the traffic from the 23 onto the 101 North is murder, and extends up the 101 a couple of miles, then seems to open up after that (this is around 7:45 am). So if you are getting on the 101 at Lynn, Ventu Park or Wendy/Borchard, I think you'd be saving about 10 minutes. Although, alot of houses in that area are a little ways off the freeway. Well it's a place to check out, anyway. Avoiding the high-end areas (Dos Vientos being the big one) you can get some older homes in nice areas, often with hills and open space all around. It's a very pretty area.

Use zip code 91320 for searches -- on CD it comes up as "Casa Conejo." Newbury Park is not its own city, it's a part of Thousand Oaks.

Good luck on your search.

My GPS shows the trip to be 22 minutes from my house in central TO to Best Buy in Oxnard. I made the trip the other day in the morning and I really think I would have made it in that amount of time if I had avoided the traffic at the interchange of 23 to 101. After Ventu Park it opened up through the grade, maybe slowed a little approaching Rose Ave., but it was pretty good overall, definitely not a problem commute, but longer than 15 minutes.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:15 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,589,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanPie View Post
If you look in TO choose the Newbury Park area for a better morning commute. I know the difference seems negligible but the traffic from the 23 onto the 101 North is murder, and extends up the 101 a couple of miles, then seems to open up after that (this is around 7:45 am). So if you are getting on the 101 at Lynn, Ventu Park or Wendy/Borchard, I think you'd be saving about 10 minutes. Although, alot of houses in that area are a little ways off the freeway. Well it's a place to check out, anyway. Avoiding the high-end areas (Dos Vientos being the big one) you can get some older homes in nice areas, often with hills and open space all around. It's a very pretty area.

Use zip code 91320 for searches -- on CD it comes up as "Casa Conejo." Newbury Park is not its own city, it's a part of Thousand Oaks.

Good luck on your search.

My GPS shows the trip to be 22 minutes from my house in central TO to Best Buy in Oxnard. I made the trip the other day in the morning and I really think I would have made it in that amount of time if I had avoided the traffic at the interchange of 23 to 101. After Ventu Park it opened up through the grade, maybe slowed a little approaching Rose Ave., but it was pretty good overall, definitely not a problem commute, but longer than 15 minutes.
Another really nice place which is technically not part of Thousand Oaks is Lynn Ranch. It is north of the 101 and west of Lynn. For some reason it is not incorporated Thousand Oaks even though it is surrounded by Thousand Oaks. Really nice ranch homes.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:56 PM

162 posts, read 571,654 times
Yes very nice area, and puts you at the Lynn Road ramp onto the 101, which is good. Just being on the other side of the 23 and Moorpark Road is a big help heading up towards Oxnard. Large properties in Lynn Ranch, some very horsey and others more hilly and upscale. Definitely overall the horsey crowd, though, and the big properties make it pricey even for older homes.

A little tidbit -- on Camino dos Rios (a main street traveling from Lynn Road into Lynn Ranch) is the biggest Christmas light display I've ever seen, worth a drive-by during the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County