U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 09:31 PM

475 posts, read 1,585,985 times

Advertisements

I am posting for my 81 year old Dad, who lives in Newbury Park. He would like to know what to do about gophers that are ruining his front lawn and garden. His next door neighbor hired a pest management company, and ever since then it seems that all the gophers had moved over to the property next door, my Dad's. I am sure he had gophers before that, but it has gotten completely out of control now. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 10:38 AM

6,142 posts, read 6,876,514 times
Have your dad hire the same pest control company?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-19-2020, 11:23 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,902,987 times
Our family home in Thousand Oaks was inundated with gophers until my mother put in a pool 34 years ago and then they vanished. I’d recommend a pest control company also (my parents use to try to flood them out with a garden hose back in the 1960s, but I don’t remember if it worked or not).

Old 07-20-2020, 10:33 AM

38 posts, read 52,799 times
We just had a gopher issue and called on of the local pest control companies and they were able to clear up the issue in one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
I am posting for my 81 year old Dad, who lives in Newbury Park. He would like to know what to do about gophers that are ruining his front lawn and garden. His next door neighbor hired a pest management company, and ever since then it seems that all the gophers had moved over to the property next door, my Dad's. I am sure he had gophers before that, but it has gotten completely out of control now. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:40 PM

475 posts, read 1,585,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopps View Post
We just had a gopher issue and called on of the local pest control companies and they were able to clear up the issue in one day.
OK, great to know. How long since you've hired them? Did the creatures come back after a while? That's our fear... It is expensive to hire a pest company, and we are not sure how long the treatment is good for.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:54 PM

8,350 posts, read 4,359,135 times
See the movie "CaddyShack?" LOL.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:27 AM

4,169 posts, read 1,796,246 times
Quote:
OK, great to know. How long since you've hired them? Did the creatures come back after a while? That's our fear... It is expensive to hire a pest company, and we are not sure how long the treatment is good for.
They will come back in few years. It cost between $100-250

Old 07-31-2020, 09:07 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,804,462 times
Moletox has always worked great for me. You can’t buy it in California, so you’ll have to make a road trip to get it, or have a friend send you some. It’s just cracked corn coated with zinc phosphide. One teaspoon in a tunnel takes care of the problem.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:04 PM
DKM

6,782 posts, read 3,279,733 times
3 ways to control gophers:

1) hire pest control

2) do your own pest control with traps and poisons

3) get an outdoor cat

Old 07-31-2020, 09:14 PM

38 posts, read 52,799 times
Quote:
The gophers have not come back but the rats are now making their way over. Ugh. I have a couple of humane traps set and caught two in a few hours, blindfolded them, and drove a few miles away to their new home.

After a quiet few weeks, more have appeared so the game is back on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County