Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2021, 12:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,106 times

Advertisements

The subject of parking is always a sticky subject and met with a lot of toxic responses in local homeowner forums. Before I start. 1: I understand I do not own the public parking spaces in front of my house. 2: I have been cordial when my neighbor has had a boat blocking my garage so they can clean it. 3: I've been cordial when my neighbor has had an RV blocking my garage when they need to set it up for the holidays. 4: I've been cordial when I've had to park my vehicle a block away by a park when I don't feel comfortable parking there overnight and there's nowhere else to park.

With that out of the way. My neighbor lives in a 4-bedroom house and I am perplexed why there are always 6 to 8 vehicles on our residential street. I, unfortunately, have shift work hours and get home later than most other neighbors. This results in me rarely having a place to park in front or even near my house. I get it that it's a public street and I'm not entitled to parking in front of my house. What I don't understand is why my neighbor is always entitled to park in front of their house with five to six cars on average. This is not some guests coming over or the holidays, this is all the time.

I know the only ordinance we have in Ventura County as well as other cities is the 72-hour limitation. I know the residential group that discusses issues such as parking has brought up parking permits and every time it surfaces up people get toxic and the idea is shot down. I came from living in an apartment townhome and I hated the fact that parking was hard as we only had a one-car garage. I thought having my own house that the issue of parking would never be a headache again. I was 100% wrong 10 years later with the same old neighbors. I don't remember them having so many vehicles and when new housing went up they stopped parking in the lots under construction but it wasn't an issue. Plenty of space was available to park.

At what point do I stop being the nice neighbor and being used as a doormat? I never called on their vehicles being parked for 4-days straight or complained to my homeowner association when they've blocked our garage access to the alley. I'm still not understanding how a 4-bedroom residence with two cars in their garage and four to six cars in front of their house, mine, and/or neighbor can fit 8 driving adults inside there. Did they build an additional room under their house? Our yards are very small and there's no room to do any expansion or add-on rooms. I just don't get it.

What is my recourse? Just live with it? My wife has had to start parking in front so that I can have a spot but she is not reliable in always doing so. It's a hit and miss thing or she comes home too late as all the spots are gone by 5:00 PM on our street. I'm thinking my only solution is to get a third vehicle and I do regret selling my wife's old Toyota Corolla because I was saving gas and the car was reliable. It wouldn't be too big of a deal parking it anywhere as it was paid off and ugly anyway. Another option is to buy a vehicle trailer and park on top of it. Of course, I'd have to move it by 72-hours but I'm willing to do it. I would hope my city would at least consider a maximum of vehicles per residence policy in support of doing their part to help stop global warming. How would I go about promoting this as a city ordinance?

BTW, if you flame me or others who are being civil in their replies, I will block you. Additionally, if there are any ad hominem attacks I will report you too. Also, if you say just park in your garage. I can't, the garage is too narrow for two cars and it doesn't address the issue for my neighbors as well and their guests. I once was told I must feel entitled. I don't think so, see the beginning of this post. I just don't think my neighbor should be entitled to park so many vehicles on a residential street. It's also not fair to my other neighbors who can never find a place to park.

I know this was a ranting post. I'm sorry. I do want solutions. I'm sore due to getting hurt pretty bad and my pain medication is wearing off. I can take more and continue on and hopefully I won't be as sore over the situation or complaint I have right now. However, it has been building up over the last few years, and it is just frustrating that my apartment and townhome parking nightmares never went away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 01:12 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Park one vehicle in your own garage and one in the driveway?

Old 01-14-2021, 10:59 AM

27 posts, read 22,488 times
Contact the city's Code Enforcement Officer. There is a complaint process where you can bring the situation to the attention of the city.

Old 01-15-2021, 03:11 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Is it a case of too many adults, or has someone become a car hobbyist?

You could monitor who is living in the neighbors house and see if they are violating any occupancy laws. Then file a complaint.

Do they have parking pads for their boat and RV or do they have off-site storage? Most cities don't allow vehicles like that to be parked on the street for more than 72 hours, though I understand they don't appear to be the main problem.

All in all, you're kind of stuck. Parking is a game of musical chairs, and the last one home loses the race.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:21 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Try talking to your neighbor to come to an agreement to save you 1 spot to their 7. If they agree in theory, then get a pair of traffic cones or sawhorses and set them out to "reserve" your spot when you leave. The city won't care, and if you got your neighbors buy-in, they won't move them.

If the neighbor decides to be a tool about your reasonable request, you can feel free to call the city on their cars that are stationary for too long.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:24 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Found of the WHY and do you know the car accumulator and what he does for a living? The last guy that crowded all his street with Lambos and Ferrari's had no means of support, and that was what busted his bio=diesel grant scam.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:11 AM

130 posts, read 160,026 times
Hmm maybe leave a note and ask them to invest in car stacking parking system or something. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
View detailed profiles of: