U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 02:32 AM

18 posts, read 19,867 times

Advertisements

I’m wondering if parts of Ventura have the following traits:

1. AIR QUALITY
This is the most important factor, but also the most difficult to evaluate. In 2008, I was bedridden with what was eventually diagnosed as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, and Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. With the right prescriptions, I was able to get back to work, but only for a few hours per day. Work required that I travel to places like Miami, New York, Western Massachusetts, Albuquerque and Seoul. My health didn’t improve in these places, but it DID improve in Seattle and San Francisco.

Like most humans, we can’t afford to live in SF or Seattle. So in 2018 we moved to Arcata, on the North Coast of California and my health has improved about 80%.

I can’t tell you exactly why I’m only healthy in these places. I assume it’s the low humidity* combined with clean air coming off the Pacific. But this is obviously the most important factor if we relocate.

2. PRICE
The ability to buy a duplex — or single-family house with an in-law unit — on a 1/4 acre plot, for $400,000 USD or less.

(In a perfect world, we would have an acre or more, with room for a chicken coop etc.)

3. AMENITIES
Ideally, there would be a grocery store, decent sushi and mexican food within walking distance. At the least, these should be within a 5-10 minute drive. We don’t care about professional sports, retail shopping or museums. Schools aren’t a factor because we no longer have kids in the house.

4. SAFETY
Last weekend, someone was stabbed to death 7 blocks from our house; people get in fights on the street; cars get broken into; mail is stolen from porches. If we felt safe, we would probably stay in Arcata (because it checks all the other boxes).

5. CLIMATE
Daytime summer highs between 70F and 90F. Low humidity.
Daytime winter highs above 50F, and lows above 30F.

6. NO NAZIS
Seeing someone wearing a “6MWE” shirt at the post office is not good for my health.

For reference:

Arcata, CA is a good match except for #3.

ABQ was a good match except for #1 (and #5 wasn’t perfect).

Santa Rosa, CA seems to fit, but is out of our price range (and I don’t know where it rates on safety).

Storrs, CT (or Willimantic) are great except for #1 and #5

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 10:19 AM

2,947 posts, read 2,177,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreanSoul View Post
I’m wondering if parts of Ventura have the following traits:

1. AIR QUALITY
This is the most important factor, but also the most difficult to evaluate. In 2008, I was bedridden with what was eventually diagnosed as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, and Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. With the right prescriptions, I was able to get back to work, but only for a few hours per day. Work required that I travel to places like Miami, New York, Western Massachusetts, Albuquerque and Seoul. My health didn’t improve in these places, but it DID improve in Seattle and San Francisco.

Like most humans, we can’t afford to live in SF or Seattle. So in 2018 we moved to Arcata, on the North Coast of California and my health has improved about 80%.

I can’t tell you exactly why I’m only healthy in these places. I assume it’s the low humidity* combined with clean air coming off the Pacific. But this is obviously the most important factor if we relocate.

2. PRICE
The ability to buy a duplex — or single-family house with an in-law unit — on a 1/4 acre plot, for $400,000 USD or less.

(In a perfect world, we would have an acre or more, with room for a chicken coop etc.)

3. AMENITIES
Ideally, there would be a grocery store, decent sushi and mexican food within walking distance. At the least, these should be within a 5-10 minute drive. We don’t care about professional sports, retail shopping or museums. Schools aren’t a factor because we no longer have kids in the house.

4. SAFETY
Last weekend, someone was stabbed to death 7 blocks from our house; people get in fights on the street; cars get broken into; mail is stolen from porches. If we felt safe, we would probably stay in Arcata (because it checks all the other boxes).

5. CLIMATE
Daytime summer highs between 70F and 90F. Low humidity.
Daytime winter highs above 50F, and lows above 30F.

6. NO NAZIS
Seeing someone wearing a “6MWE” shirt at the post office is not good for my health.

For reference:

Arcata, CA is a good match except for #3.

ABQ was a good match except for #1 (and #5 wasn’t perfect).

Santa Rosa, CA seems to fit, but is out of our price range (and I don’t know where it rates on safety).

Storrs, CT (or Willimantic) are great except for #1 and #5

Thanks!
Air quality can be quite poor everywhere in SoCal during fire season. It usually only lasts a few days around the time when there is a sustained Santa Anna wind event that sparks a bunch of major blazes, but it can add up to maybe 3 cumulative weeks of Orange-Red-Purple periods of bad AQI. If you can deal with staying indoors for up to 3 weeks out of the year and wearing an N-95 or respirator when you go out, then the rest of the time pretty much all of Ventura's air is good.

Santa Paula or Filmore may have housing in your price range, or at least once the current madness/bubble deflates and many of the new apartment/townhouse projects are finished. They are hotter and dryer than coastal Ventura.

Cars are broken into and mail is stolen everywhere density is high enough for criminals to turn a profit by doing so.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2021, 07:04 PM

6,118 posts, read 6,843,599 times
Re: Ventura County

Number 4, (Crime). It's everywhere. Ventura/Oxnard cities bounce around right at the national average. Not sure if still this way, but T.O. and Simi swapped places every year for being one of the safest cities of its size in the nation.

Number 6 won't be an issue in Ventura County. In my 20+ years living there, never ran across that stuff.

Number 5, (Climate), is possible, and pretty close to what one gets. Definitely along the coast, but winter humidity is pretty high. Inland gets pretty warm during the middle of the summer.

Air Quality has already been addressed by wac_432. He/She mentioned Sta Paula or Fillmore as possibly fitting your budget. Maybe, but I highly doubt you'll find what you are looking for anywhere in Ventura County on your budget. 3/2 + in-law bungalow on a quarter acre for $400K. Maybe in Frazier Park, but that is so remote from the rest of Ventura County that the county up and gave it away to Kern County.

You're going to have to do some compromising on some items. For example, regarding Sta Paula and Fillmore... No sushi there. Both cities are heavily Hispanic. Fantastic Mexican food, but they won't have a clue what sushi is. You'll have to go back to Ventura for that. None of the cities in Ventura are really "walking cities", especially for the type of housing you are seeking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreanSoul View Post
Let me just throw something out there for you to consider. If health and low humidity are the most important factors . . . consider the Antelope Valley. Gets a few weeks of triple-digits during the summer, but the air quality is pretty darn good, most of the time. The topography/geography is such that you really don't get any pollution from the major urban centers in the area. If you can handle the summer temperatures, (and it can get a bit chilly in the winter), it might be worth considering. But again, probably not on your budget, but you'll be a lot closer to swinging it. Rosamond? Might work.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-23-2021, 09:53 AM

2,947 posts, read 2,177,760 times
Do you still live in VC, volosong? Santa Paula has gotten fancier. There is ONE sushi place in town: Yokozuna | Santa Paula

There's also a Vons and a bike trail that parallels the railroad track and connects pretty much the "entire" town. The main part of town is only 3 miles long, so I'd call that walkable.

Yeah, price is an issue. You're not going to get a quarter acre AND walk to the grocery store and everything else you want anywhere in the USA, probably.

I thought he only wanted 1/2 of a duplex, which IS do-able for 400K, but now I see he wants both sides. Yeah, no way, dude. You need to double your budget or half your house size. This is SoCal and we spend most of our time outdoors. Only the uber-rich have big empty houses around here.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Cars are broken into and mail is stolen everywhere density is high enough for criminals to turn a profit by doing so.
That’s the thing. I’ve lived in Boston, Chicago, smaller cities in CT. All places with higher population density than where I currently live and it just didn’t have the same level of VISIBLE crime. It’s weird, because — for example — Zillow’s database will describe Arcata as “very safe”. That’s why I’m asking in here for personal experiences instead of trusting databases.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Do you still live in VC, volosong? Santa Paula has gotten fancier. There is ONE sushi place in town: Yokozuna | Santa Paula

There's also a Vons and a bike trail that parallels the railroad track and connects pretty much the "entire" town. The main part of town is only 3 miles long, so I'd call that walkable.

Yeah, price is an issue. You're not going to get a quarter acre AND walk to the grocery store and everything else you want anywhere in the USA, probably.

I thought he only wanted 1/2 of a duplex, which IS do-able for 400K, but now I see he wants both sides. Yeah, no way, dude. You need to double your budget or half your house size. This is SoCal and we spend most of our time outdoors. Only the uber-rich have big empty houses around here.
It could be duplex with only 1 BR in each half. I just 2 unit with separate airspaces — not a big empty house.

As for the idea that I couldn’t find this ANYEHERE in America under $400k, I can think of at least 30 states where I could. The problem is finding a compatible climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County