Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite city in Ventura County?
Oxnard 2 9.52%
Thousand Oaks 5 23.81%
Simi Valley 0 0%
Ventura 9 42.86%
Camarillo 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 12:31 PM

136 posts, read 133,478 times

Advertisements

Which of these cities in Ventura County is your favorite to live, visit, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 01:26 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Default Ten cities

Not to nitpick, but there are ten wonderful cities in Ventura County. In addition to the poll: Fillmore, Moorpark, Ojai, Piru, and Santa Paula. For me, all ten have their unique appeal, though I’m partial to the ones in the west.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:50 AM

63 posts, read 67,275 times
Thousand Oaks: mostly planned out, family focused, civilized, smart kids in the schools, comfortable demographics, community pride, and central to jobs east and west.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:52 AM

63 posts, read 67,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Not to nitpick, but there are ten wonderful cities in Ventura County. In addition to the poll: Fillmore, Moorpark, Ojai, Piru, and Santa Paula. For me, all ten have their unique appeal, though I’m partial to the ones in the west.
Those are nice places BUT if you have to commute to major job centers (SFV for example), they're kind of out there. Nice and cool. Close to the mountains and the ocean down 126.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,664 times
Default Considering a move to Ventura

I'm originally from SoCal but have been away for 32 years. Considering Ventura for proximity to beach, parks, bike riding, and supposedly several restaurants are vegan-friendly. Currently working from home and would like to retire in 10 years. Any particular reason Ventura is better or worse than other VC cities?

Old 10-11-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaonmymind View Post
I'm originally from SoCal but have been away for 32 years. Considering Ventura for proximity to beach, parks, bike riding, and supposedly several restaurants are vegan-friendly. Currently working from home and would like to retire in 10 years. Any particular reason Ventura is better or worse than other VC cities?
It really depends on what you're after. Only three of Ventura County's ten cities have beach access, Oxnard (including unincorporated Silverstrand and Hollywood by the Sea), Port Hueneme, and Ventura. If the choice is narrowed to those three, then the question becomes one of specific personal preferences in terms of characteristics -- sleepiness, suburban, walkable, etc. And, of course, the exact desired proximity to the beach.

Old 10-11-2021, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,664 times
Thank you for responding. I guess I was just looking for opinions of people who actually live there, Definitely public beach access is a must, preferably within a mile (walkable) to the beach. Also walkability for restaurants and some shopping (like local grocers), and not too far from art galleries and parks for hiking. It seems like Ventura near the fairgrounds suits those requirements, but actually noticing that apartments and condos for rent are not that plentiful. May have to take a trip there and stay for a week to explore!

Old 10-11-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Thank you for responding. I guess I was just looking for opinions of people who actually live there, Definitely public beach access is a must, preferably within a mile (walkable) to the beach. Also walkability for restaurants and some shopping (like local grocers), and not too far from art galleries and parks for hiking. It seems like Ventura near the fairgrounds suits those requirements, but actually noticing that apartments and condos for rent are not that plentiful. May have to take a trip there and stay for a week to explore!
Midtown, Pierpont, but probably downtown Ventura is what you're looking for. Vacancies for apartments in Ventura County is extremely low, under 2%. Your best bet might be to connect with an apartment management company, get an application approved, which would make you eligible for one of their listings.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:49 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Downtown Ventura is exactly what you're looking for, but it is VERY expensive because, guess what... everyone else wants the same thing!

+ Downtown is chock full of decent-to-good eating and drinking places. It is a different world from where it was just a decade ago. They closed off Main St. during the pandemic and it has become an awesome pedestrian mall, and will likely stay that way permanently.
+ The hill that hangs over downtown (where the Serra Cross is located) is riddled with hiking trails. It's a very cool way to get from the Avenue to downtown--cut across the mountain--if you are reasonably fit and not in a huge hurry. Spectacular views, as good as the hills of Santa Barbara with the bonus of being right downtown. Also, the new Botanical Garden being installed there is really turning into quite a beautiful place.
+ Beaches are seasonal. There's a lot of sand for kids and families during the summer, but it gets stripped to cobblestones by the winter swells. The beach boardwalk is a very nice stroll any time of year, and always a great place to hang out.
+ Ventura's own "Funk Zone" is going up just East of downtown. New brewery, pizza place, and other cool stuff there.
+ Ventura Avenue on the west side of town is full of funky art galleries, workshops, etc. There are more of these spreading through downtown and midtown as well.
+ Pierpont is VERY expensive beachfront property with no room for expansion. Locals complain that it is turning into a commercial district because of AirBnB's and VRBO's. If you can afford it, there's a small commercial district in the middle with one of everything (brewery, sushi, thai, ice cream, supermarket) and a nice oceanfront bike path that provides semi-easy access to downtown (at least an hour walk, but probably 15-ish minutes on a bike.) No art gallerys or hiking (unless its a walk on the beach) there.

The good news for you is that at least 3 major apartment and condo complexes are all in various stages of construction right downtown, with more to come. So, if you're not in a hurry, more housing will become available in the next 1-3 years. On my walk to downtown, I pass a smaller condo (with great views) that is currently being rehabbed, that will someday be a nice, and possibly more affordable, alternative to the shiny new condos and apartments going up. I am pretty sure every apartment owner in town is looking to update and raise rents. Which leads us to...

...the bad news is that lots of rich people are going to swoop in and snap those properties up. If you are making a healthy income (at least six figures), have no debt, and are okay with a smaller place, you should be able to find what you are looking for, eventually.
Also bad is the lack of walkable groceries. The only supermarket is Vons on Ventura Avenue. It is okay, but expensive and has a problem with vagrants from the adjacent riverbed. There are small hispanic groceries up the Avenue, but they aren't much better on price. Gross mini marts are the only other option in all of downtown.

Ventura avene seems like a good option, due to proximity to downtown, but it is still overrun with zombies, despite all the expensive condos being built. It's not a place to walk after dark. It probably won't change so long as the hobo jungle exists (riverbed vagrant camp since time immemorial).
If you can afford the buy-in, Ventura would make a great place to retire. There's TONS of rich old folks who have done just that.

Oxnard: Great beach access. Not walkable pretty much anywhere. Especially not walkable by the beach. Seabridge is the only exception, but then you're FAR from the beach (but on the marina). Also not good access to the 101. Bad schools = Lower property values.

Port Hueneme: Great beach access. Same problem with walkability. VERY FAR from any major transportation artery. Bad schools = lower property values.

Camarillo: Far from beach. Not really walkable anywhere.

Thousand Oaks/etc: Even farther from beach. Not walkable at all. Suburban driving car culture.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:07 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Ventura, then TO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County