Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 11,614 times

Advertisements

Hi, I’m relocating to the area for work. My job will be in eastern Oxnard just off the 101 and N Rice. I want to love near the beach in Ventura, maybe near downtown as well. Walking distance for the beach and downtown if possible. It’s just me, no kids and no pets and only need a studio. Will be looking to rent an apartment. Are there any areas you would suggest to avoid for commute issues or for crime reputation? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 10:06 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Generally, the entire area is low crime (even Oxnard, in spite of its reputation.) An apartment on Meta or Santa Clara streets, or their many cross streets, in Ventura would probably be your best bet. It's adjacent to downtown Ventura, and about 1/2 mile to the Ventura State Beach, the pier, promenade, and so on. Easy on/off the 101 for your commute, which would be about 8-10 miles one way.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Generally, the entire area is low crime (even Oxnard, in spite of its reputation.) An apartment on Meta or Santa Clara streets, or their many cross streets, in Ventura would probably be your best bet. It's adjacent to downtown Ventura, and about 1/2 mile to the Ventura State Beach, the pier, promenade, and so on. Easy on/off the 101 for your commute, which would be about 8-10 miles one way.
Awesome, thank you for this information. I really appreciate it. Will be traveling to the area this weekend and into next week to try to find a rental.

Old 04-03-2023, 12:55 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
What kind of place do you want? How close to the beach do you want to be? Ocean view? <10 min walk? There used to be a lack of choice near downtown--home share or grotty apartment--but now there’s a lot of luxury apartments and other stuff available.

If you have an unlimited budget and you want ocean views, the apartments off San Jon are brand-new and pretty nice. Right next to a new Toppers, Brewery, and some breakfast places for when you don’t want to walk all the way downtown.
You can probably find some cheaper rents on Ventura Avenue. Very close to downtown and not too far from the beach. Expect to get screamed at by bums pretty regularly, but they’re mostly shambolic zombies and easy to avoid as long as you pay attention to your surroundings.

Otherwise there’s the old standby of homeshare or grotty apartment.

If you don’t care about downtown (but it sounds like you do) there are a lot of beach-adjacent rentals in Oxnard. The only problem is going through Oxnard via Harbor Blvd. to get to Rice. It’s not THAT bad of a drive, but it is annoying compared to just hopping on the freeway and shooting straight there.

Have you considered Port Hueneme? That’s just down at the end of Rice (sorta). The Beach at Hueneme has been cleaned up and looks like Santa Monica now (minus the fun of the boardwalk) Rice is a pretty easy commute.

Do you surf? All the spots mentioned have good surf, but C-street at downtown venture is the most consistent and also the most zooed. It is usually sideshore and rideable in the afternoons. Hueneme and Oxnard blow out early most days, so you’ll be wanting to dawn patrol if you live there and if your work schedule allows.

Old 04-03-2023, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
What kind of place do you want? How close to the beach do you want to be? Ocean view? <10 min walk? There used to be a lack of choice near downtown--home share or grotty apartment--but now there’s a lot of luxury apartments and other stuff available.

If you have an unlimited budget and you want ocean views, the apartments off San Jon are brand-new and pretty nice. Right next to a new Toppers, Brewery, and some breakfast places for when you don’t want to walk all the way downtown.
You can probably find some cheaper rents on Ventura Avenue. Very close to downtown and not too far from the beach. Expect to get screamed at by bums pretty regularly, but they’re mostly shambolic zombies and easy to avoid as long as you pay attention to your surroundings.

Otherwise there’s the old standby of homeshare or grotty apartment.

If you don’t care about downtown (but it sounds like you do) there are a lot of beach-adjacent rentals in Oxnard. The only problem is going through Oxnard via Harbor Blvd. to get to Rice. It’s not THAT bad of a drive, but it is annoying compared to just hopping on the freeway and shooting straight there.

Have you considered Port Hueneme? That’s just down at the end of Rice (sorta). The Beach at Hueneme has been cleaned up and looks like Santa Monica now (minus the fun of the boardwalk) Rice is a pretty easy commute.

Do you surf? All the spots mentioned have good surf, but C-street at downtown venture is the most consistent and also the most zooed. It is usually sideshore and rideable in the afternoons. Hueneme and Oxnard blow out early most days, so you’ll be wanting to dawn patrol if you live there and if your work schedule allows.
Wow, loads of info. I definitely don’t have an unlimited budget lol. Probably on the lower end as far as what I’ve seen around. I applied for a place today in Pierpont Bay, I dislike the distance to downtown from there but the vibe felt right and I liked how it’s close and easy onto the 101 and also walking distance to grocery. Bike to downtown probably isn’t too bad from there. I got into town yesterday morning and been doing some exploring. I did like Prt Hueneme as well but I think Ventura feels better for whatever reason. More laid back. I grew up in the outer banks of NC and surfed some but eventually went on to skateboard. I’m a big wimp when it comes to cold water but I do really enjoy watching surfing, it’s relaxing. I watched for a little while yesterday near the pier and walked around downtown after. I think I just missed a farmers market. I was amazed at how quickly you go from a beach paradise to nothing but fields in less than 10 minutes. Thanks again for the reply.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24flinchin View Post
Wow, loads of info. I definitely don’t have an unlimited budget lol. Probably on the lower end as far as what I’ve seen around. I applied for a place today in Pierpont Bay, I dislike the distance to downtown from there but the vibe felt right and I liked how it’s close and easy onto the 101 and also walking distance to grocery. Bike to downtown probably isn’t too bad from there. I got into town yesterday morning and been doing some exploring. I did like Prt Hueneme as well but I think Ventura feels better for whatever reason. More laid back. I grew up in the outer banks of NC and surfed some but eventually went on to skateboard. I’m a big wimp when it comes to cold water but I do really enjoy watching surfing, it’s relaxing. I watched for a little while yesterday near the pier and walked around downtown after. I think I just missed a farmers market. I was amazed at how quickly you go from a beach paradise to nothing but fields in less than 10 minutes. Thanks again for the reply.
Pierpont sounds like a good fit, if you found something you could afford. That neighborhood is super laid-back and beachy. Plus there's a little bit of a town center along the end of Seaward. A couple of good eats and the Social Tap pub. It IS an easy bike ride downtown along the bike path/promenade, plus you pass the pier, sand dunes, state beach, etc. It's one of the prettier "commutes" in town. Be sure to explore. Tons of cool stuff easily accessible on a bike.

If you keep going on the bike path, you can ride out to Emma Wood state beach, which is just a beautiful natural point break. If you keep keep going along the railroad bike path, there's a fantastic ride out to the Ventura Overhead (Emma Wood RV Parking). It's below the freeway and gives you insane ocean vistas. It is sheltered from the wind, mostly, and you can't even tell the FWY is there. Highly recommend.

Check out Marina Park at the end of Pierpont blvd. There's a public boat dock where you can launch kayaks or paddleboards into the marina.

If you have a nice bike... I'd get a not nice bike. Or a really good lock that you use religiously. I ride a beach beater so I can use just a nominal chain to keep some rando from just riding off with it. Good bikes get stolen, tho.

The farmer’s market is at the mission on Saturdays from 830-1PM or so. There’s a ton of festivals and events, especially in the summer. They closed main street for the pandemic and everyone loves that they left it closed. In summers it was closed pretty much every weekend for some sort of event, anyway.

Old 04-08-2023, 11:22 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Port Hueneme is quite laidback. The area near the pier reminds me a lot of what Ventura was like in the 1980s--relaxed and low key. Of course, right at the beach (or anywhere south of Hueneme Road) is pricier than the neighborhoods north of Hueneme Road. PH is a bit out of the way. Commuting to Rice isn't a big deal as you wouldn't have to travel cross town, but around the outskirts and through the fields with nice views of the Santa Monica Mountains. PH is super convenient to coastal hiking areas at Point Mugu, for those (of us) who like hiking.

Old 04-10-2023, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the tips and recommendations to both of you. It’s been very helpful. I do plan on getting some cheap bike to cruise around on just as you suggested. How much busier does that bike/walk path from pierpont to the pier get in the summer? I’ve walked it a couple of times now but I haven’t been much north of the pier yet. I still need to check out Emma Wood and the farmers market downtown. I also need to look around Port Hueneme more and explore those paths. I agree that the commute from down there would have more options than just the 101 and there are areas pretty straight roads with not much traffic between. Thanks again.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24flinchin View Post
Thanks for the tips and recommendations to both of you. It’s been very helpful. I do plan on getting some cheap bike to cruise around on just as you suggested. How much busier does that bike/walk path from pierpont to the pier get in the summer? I’ve walked it a couple of times now but I haven’t been much north of the pier yet. I still need to check out Emma Wood and the farmers market downtown. I also need to look around Port Hueneme more and explore those paths. I agree that the commute from down there would have more options than just the 101 and there are areas pretty straight roads with not much traffic between. Thanks again.
The boardwalk/bike path is never really busy unless you're riding a high-speed road bike. If you're just tooling along on a mountain bike / beach cruiser, even summer holidays should be no problem. Unless you want more eye candy. Then, yes, summer is better.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:26 PM

Quote:
The boardwalk/bike path is never really busy unless you're riding a high-speed road bike. If you're just tooling along on a mountain bike / beach cruiser, even summer holidays should be no problem. Unless you want more eye candy. Then, yes, summer is better.
That’s cool. I was worried about how busy it might get and I never complain about too much eye candy. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County