Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2022, 03:04 PM

8 posts, read 12,353 times

Advertisements

now 70 looking for an easy retirement~ from east to west or south, I cant do winter like Ive done~

i've lived half my life in europe (originally from CA) and the other half as an exec assist-translator to crazy ceos (30) yrs in nyc, and have little savings~ Im totally done in with corp caca office america - the only thing I like about nyc is the easy transport. I cant afford a car, im totally low income senior and checked out various silvercrest low income apart (visit to CA) 2 yrs ago. Im on the waiting list for
ventura silvercrest
pasadena silvercrest
and after the insane covid policies im also checking out cheap options in FLA, if anyone knows anything or ideas?

im a bit of an old hippy, yoga, meditation, lingos, and travel (5 lingos) and i love the beach, but cant afford a car (thinking vespa?) - good health but things starting to fall apart and off:-) if i won the lotto, i would buy a hut in hawaii~ but thats for another lifetime:-)

of the 2 cities? cost and community feel? which of the 2? appreciate any ideas~ I've got 2 yrs before the waiting list will put me at the top~
thanks!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 03:55 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,956,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telosa3 View Post
now 70 looking for an easy retirement~ from east to west or south, I cant do winter like Ive done~

i've lived half my life in europe (originally from CA) and the other half as an exec assist-translator to crazy ceos (30) yrs in nyc, and have little savings~ Im totally done in with corp caca office america - the only thing I like about nyc is the easy transport. I cant afford a car, im totally low income senior and checked out various silvercrest low income apart (visit to CA) 2 yrs ago. Im on the waiting list for
ventura silvercrest
pasadena silvercrest
and after the insane covid policies im also checking out cheap options in FLA, if anyone knows anything or ideas?

im a bit of an old hippy, yoga, meditation, lingos, and travel (5 lingos) and i love the beach, but cant afford a car (thinking vespa?) - good health but things starting to fall apart and off:-) if i won the lotto, i would buy a hut in hawaii~ but thats for another lifetime:-)

of the 2 cities? cost and community feel? which of the 2? appreciate any ideas~ I've got 2 yrs before the waiting list will put me at the top~
thanks!!!
I'd say living in California without a car is miserable. I've never been to Florida. A Vespa is not a good idea. Something someone told me when I got a motorcycle years ago was "it's not if you crash your bike, it's when" and they were right. My cousin lives in a subsidized apartment in downtown Portland, Oregon. It's very walkable and they have good public transportation. Shopping is only a couple of blocks away. She uses public transportation to go to doctors and church and free concerts and the library.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:11 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
I echo the recommendation to NOT get a Vespa. I have one, and they are not "low cost". Figure changing the oil every 3,000 miles, pumping premium gasoline, and paying a bunch of money every 12,000 to put in new rollers. Weather-wise, a scooter would be fine in Ventura or even Pasadena. Consider a Honda scooter, or a low-displacement motorcycle. I've heard that cliché about not when, but if. I've been using motorcycles and scooters since 1969 and have not dumped one yet. Being a highly observant, very defensive rider has kept me safe. I've crashed on my bicycles way more often than on a motorcycle.

(If you insist on getting a Vespa, see Dave, the owner of Sherman Oaks Vespa. He's a good egg. There is, or was, a Vespa dealer in Thousand Oaks too.)

I also agree that Ventura is not a walkable city. Maybe Pasadena, I don't know where Silvercrest is located within town. Perhaps a good city bicycle would fit your bill? Robust, sturdy, racks for your purchases. Neither town is all that large that you can't get around by bicycle. Not sure about Pasadena, but Ventura has a pretty decent bike lane system. It's fairly safe to cycle in Ventura. "Okay" in Pasadena. I never had any issues on Pasadena streets.

It does rain in Ventura and Pasadena, so that is to be considered. Not often, but enough to make cycling a pain at times.

Your last question of which. Hands down, Ventura. Pasadena is more sophisticated, but Ventura has cleaner air, cooler temperatures, the ocean, and a whole lot less crowded. One of the very few regrets I have in my long life, (now 70 years young), was moving my residence out of Ventura County. It's a special place.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-14-2022, 01:02 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Heritage Parks Apartments in downtown Oxnard are probably the most reasonable in the immediate area. It would be worth a call to them, https://www.heritageparkapts.com.

Downtown Oxnard has a Walk Score of 94/100, according to Walkscore.com, https://www.walkscore.com/CA/Oxnard/Downtown. City blocks are short in a grid pattern with slow-moving traffic. Small corner markets, a major grocery store, movie theater, restaurants, post office, city services, and bus and train transportation are all within walking distance for a reasonably healthy person.

You could take a city bus from downtown Oxnard to the beach at Port Hueneme. GoldCoast Transit offers door-to-door paratransit services, https://www.gctd.org/getting-around/. The main city bus hub is at the Transportation Center, which also serves Amtrak, Metrolink (commuter train), GoVentura (inter-city, inter-county scheduled fixed-route buses), and Greyhound, https://www.oxnard.org/government-2/...ransit-center/.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 05-14-2022 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: Add links

Old 05-25-2022, 02:22 PM

thanks! i wish i could afford a car, but even a cheap one theres insurance etc...

Old 05-25-2022, 02:23 PM

thank you! thats awesome advice!! will definitely do that! when i get there!

Old 05-25-2022, 09:46 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telosa3 View Post
thank you! thats awesome advice!! will definitely do that! when i get there!
Keep an eye out for age 55 and over apartments. I forgot to mention that Heritage Park are 55 and over. Press Courier across the street is also 55 and over, but a bit pricier. There are others in the immediate area as well. Ventura, Camarillo and Port Hueneme also have 55/65 and over apartments, but for your sake, the most walkable for daily needs, and easiest access to public transportation (including for beach access) and rail service will be downtown Oxnard. Good luck to you.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:43 AM

thank you Winston!!! the best ...this advice is great and I have to say, im SERIOUSLY appreciative ~~~

Old 05-27-2022, 08:45 AM

thank you Bob!! for some reason I missed this the first time! I really appreciate all the info I can get!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County