Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:19 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,041,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I wish someone would go take some photos of Hollywood Beach (in Oxnard) for me!!!!! Please!!!!!
These are just beach photos from two occasions earlier this year, around April and again in July. Though not from Hollywood beach, they are from its neighbor Oxnard Shores. Enjoy!

The beloved power plant and beach at 5th Street (April). Notice the sun revealing itself below the cloud ceiling before setting into the Pacific.

Ventura County Memories-ox_shores_april08_1.jpg Ventura County Memories-ox_shores_april08_2.jpg Ventura County Memories-ox_shores_april08_4.jpg

Looking up the coast towards Santa Barbara from Oxnard Shores Park (July). During mid-summer the sun sets behind Point Conception. The quintessential "sunsets into the sea" happens only during Spring and Fall in the Oxnard area.

Ventura County Memories-ox_shores_july08_1.jpg Ventura County Memories-ox_shores_july08_5.jpg Ventura County Memories-ox_shores_july08_4.jpg

(Copyright note to C-D Admin: Owned by me. Allowed use: posts on this thread.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 04:21 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,073,087 times
Cre8 (WS) Thank you for those photos of Oxnard Shores. We usually walked the beach from Hollywood beach up to those picnic tables. Oh how I wish I was still there!!!!

I wanted to add that I also miss all those sunsets!!!! Great shots!!!

Last edited by Roma; 12-22-2008 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-26-2008, 03:40 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Just drove by the Oaks Mall. Almost didn't recognize it; had to check where I was on the 101. It is like three times bigger.

The Oaks mall expansion | www.theacorn.com | The Acorn

Old 12-26-2008, 07:08 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,589,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Just drove by the Oaks Mall. Almost didn't recognize it; had to check where I was on the 101. It is like three times bigger.

The Oaks mall expansion | www.theacorn.com | The Acorn
Yeah, the mall is quite a bit larger now. They really did a good job on the renovation. It looks really nice inside. They added a parking garage, and also an outdoor area of the mall. They are not quite completed with the Muvico movie theater yet, its the large yellow bldg at the east end.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:33 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
They are not quite completed with the Muvico movie theater yet, its the large yellow bldg at the east end.
I saw that too. Someone must have calculated that there's a need for another set of theaters three miles from the theaters at the Westlake Promenade. (There used to be a theater on the first floor of the Oaks maybe five or ten years ago - and it closed.)

Speaking of bizarre, the Agoura Hills branch (Agoura Road and Reyes Adobe) of the LA County Library is one mile east of the Westlake Village branch (Agoura Road and Lindero) of the LA County Library. Your (or LA County's) tax dollars at work.

Back to Ventura County memories...Thousand Oaks Boulevard used to be called Ventura Boulevard. Agoura Road used to be Highway 101 before the two + two lane Highway 101 was built I think around 1950 (I think Whizens was built not too long after.) There's a neat old bridge stamped with "1926" about where the Adobe Cantina is on Agoura Road.

(images not protected by copyright)

Here's the Conejo Grade view looking east 1959

Old 12-27-2008, 07:52 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,589,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I saw that too. Someone must have calculated that there's a need for another set of theaters three miles from the theaters at the Westlake Promenade. (There used to be a theater on the first floor of the Oaks maybe five or ten years ago - and it closed.)
The UA at the Oaks Mall closed about a year or two ago. There is a Mann theater with 9 screens at the Janss Mall, too. So we'll have plenty of choices for movies. The Muvico theater that is going in at the Oaks Mall is suppose to have 14 screens I think.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camel22 View Post
Here's a 1967 photo of Highway 101 going NORTH prior to the Kanan Exit (note that Denny's is STILL there). And right behind the billboard advertising the new homes in Lake Lindero (at $23,000) was that winery (was it called Brookside??). My parents used to drive there when we were kids and we'd play out in the parking lot & fields while they drank wine. The 101 used to be peppered with these billboards. The only thing on the other side of the freeway was Whizins.
Just to correct one thing: the Denny's is now gone. It was demolished when Caltrans reconfigured the Kanan Rd. exit from northbound US 101.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:16 PM

14 posts, read 59,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Great photos!

I wish someone would go take some photos of Hollywood Beach (in Oxnard) for me!!!!! Please!!!!!

I'll try to remember to take my camera next time I'm going to be in the area. In the mean time, how about a few from Mugu Rock?

I came across these tonight, and thought I'd share...

A few months ago I was shooting some pictures of a friends car for use in a calendar, and we ended up shooting most of them at the south face of Mugu Rock on PCH. When we finished, I turned around and thought the view was too nice to ignore, so I decided to snap a few pics. The first four are basically the same shot with varying degrees of zoom. They were taken on the south side of Mugu Rock, looking towards Malibu, right around 12 noon. The fifth picture is the car I was there to photograph.

Take care,
~Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Ventura County Memories-1210.jpg   Ventura County Memories-1209.jpg   Ventura County Memories-1207.jpg   Ventura County Memories-1208.jpg   Ventura County Memories-1219-2.jpg  

Old 03-29-2009, 11:53 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,041,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKRWUD View Post
I'll try to remember to take my camera next time I'm going to be in the area. In the mean time, how about a few from Mugu Rock?

I came across these tonight, and thought I'd share...

A few months ago I was shooting some pictures of a friends car for use in a calendar, and we ended up shooting most of them at the south face of Mugu Rock on PCH. When we finished, I turned around and thought the view was too nice to ignore, so I decided to snap a few pics. The first four are basically the same shot with varying degrees of zoom. They were taken on the south side of Mugu Rock, looking towards Malibu, right around 12 noon. The fifth picture is the car I was there to photograph.

Take care,
~Chris
Nic pix! By the way, the Mugu Rock area, Yerba Buena Road even the paved portion of Sycamore Canyon (all within about 5 - 7 miles of Mugu Rock) are the favorite filming locations for tons of car commercials. But not just car commercials. State Farm and Orange Savings both use the stretch past the big sand dune and Mugu Rock as backdrops in recent commercials.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:04 AM

14 posts, read 59,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Nic pix!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
By the way, the Mugu Rock area, Yerba Buena Road even the paved portion of Sycamore Canyon (all within about 5 - 7 miles of Mugu Rock) are the favorite filming locations for tons of car commercials. But not just car commercials. State Farm and Orange Savings both use the stretch past the big sand dune and Mugu Rock as backdrops in recent commercials.
Oh man, you're not kidding! I am not exaggerating when I say I see it on TV at LEAST once a day, sometimes more. All kinds of TV commercials, and virtually every TV show that has a scene that's supposed to be by the beach use that stretch of PCH. I am noticing it more in recent months, but it's always been popular. I'd be willing to bet it's the most filmed stretch of coastline on Earth, at least for commercial purposes.

But hey, that's where we went to shoot the calendar pictures, so I guess in a small way, I'm guilty of it as well. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County