Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2008, 09:32 AM

8 posts, read 41,220 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Port Hueneme and want to buy a condo near the base. I looked at California Lighthouse and like them but what about the crime factor? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 12:41 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
The condos along Hemlock and behind the Ralph's shopping center on Chanel Islands Blvd in Port Hueneme are very nice, Marlboro Seaside Village, Harbor Lights, etc. and it's a safe area. I would avoid the 4-plex condos on Hemlock between Victoria and Seahorse, however.

If you haven't been there, check Seabridge on Victoria between Hemlock and Wooley. You might get some good deals there now, I don't know. It's a beautiful waterfront "new-urbanism" development.

Another place to check just outside of the base is the condos on Peninsula Road (Channel Islands Harbor). The only thing there is that cars parked on the street seem to be "victims" to smash and grabs a lot according to the PD incident reports on the area.

Hope this info helps you.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:26 AM

Thanks for your comments cre8. I just went house hunting again yesterday and now I'm focusing on a mobile home. It's more private for me and they have small yards for my small dog.

Any thoughts are good parks?

I'm nervous about all the crime as I said. funny that yesterday I was prevented from going to one of the parks because there were about 30-40 cops running around looking for a suspect to a homicide. It's going to be an adjustment!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Thanks for your comments cre8. I just went house hunting again yesterday and now I'm focusing on a mobile home. It's more private for me and they have small yards for my small dog.

Any thoughts are good parks?

I'm nervous about all the crime as I said. funny that yesterday I was prevented from going to one of the parks because there were about 30-40 cops running around looking for a suspect to a homicide. It's going to be an adjustment!
Meadowlake in north Oxnard is touted as the most beautiful manufactured home park in all of Ventura County. The Oxnard Shores park is also nice (west 5th Street), right on the beach and you own the land.

Oxnard and PH are safe cities, safer than the national average for cities their size. Check the stats, you'll see. This year murders in Simi Valley, supposedly one of the safest cities in the country, is the same as Oxnard.

Where was the police action?

Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 AM

Default Police Action

That was the armed robbery outside US Bank on Oxnard at the 101. Killed a guy coming out of the bank with money in his hand.
Anyway, I've been looking at crime data here:
City Of Oxnard California | Oxnard Police Department

If you go to Oxnard PD's home page that have a story about the robberty.

I'm looking at Colony MHP off Pleasant Valley too. Do you know anything about that? Meadowlake has space rent 40% higher than Colony.
The Oxnard Shores is pricy unless you buy a really old one. I would rather have a newer home that have a junky house at the beach...

Old 08-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
That was the armed robbery outside US Bank on Oxnard at the 101. Killed a guy coming out of the bank with money in his hand.
Yes, that's totally crazy. I heard about it, of course, but after my previous post. It reminds me of an incident in Ventura a few years back where a 65-y-o woman was shot and killed for her purse and car in broad daylight in a shopping center parking lot. I can tell you, incidents such as these are very rare anywhere in Ventura County. They do happen, however. A couple of years ago in Thousand Oaks - Simi Valley a nut case went on rampage one morning leaving several people dead. Running from a murder incident in T.O., he kidnapped/car-jacked a woman and her child in front of her gated community, then killed several more people at a Walmart store in Simi. All of the victims were innocent bystanders.

Quote:
I'm looking at Colony MHP off Pleasant Valley too. Do you know anything about that?
Sorry, I don't know anything about Colony MHP specifically. South Oxnard gets a bad rap, but the area of east Pleasant Valley/Oxnard College is quiet. In south Oxnard, be judicious buying/renting around Saviors Road south and east of Channel Islands Bl., however. Southwinds is one of the more troubled neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County