Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinMI View Post
Primarily schools. I can't tell by looking at neighborhoods if the schools are good, but I am hearing that Simi schools are pretty good?
Here's a really good starting point:

California School Performance Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:21 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,329 times
Wow, I grew up in Simi Valley and visited again about 7 years ago. It is a lovely little city. Although I don't remember Thousand Oaks real well, it is too but I was a little caught off guard to see the comments about Simi. Maybe it's just that I live in Idaho now where housing is so much cheaper, but the home we had in Simi, last I heard some 12 years ago, was selling for 500,000. Is that really middle class in Simi now?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
I greatly prefer Thousand Oaks over Simi Valley. I partially grew up in Simi Valley and despite the safe image, there is actually a lot of drug problems in the city. I remember talking with the druggies (many of which were homeless) that use to hang out where the Regal Cinema was built (use to be a field with big trees). They weren't violent and they keep to themselves pretty well, but they are around. Things haven't changed much. Simi Valley is more "working class" too, but that can be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view.

Regardless, I've been watching the real estate market in the area for my Mom since early 2007. The prices have declined around 25% since the peak of the housing bubble. For whatever reason, the prices in thousand oaks have been more sticky but seem to be coming down more recently. TO has always been more, but I think the difference appears greater now than it has been in the past. Regardless, the prices in the area have another 20~30% to go before they are back to more traditional pricing for the area.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
I have lived in Oak Park and Westlake Village and to me the biggest difference is Thousand Oaks has better schools and is safer, cooler in temperature, more upscale shops and restaurants as well as live theater and movies and easier to go to L.A. or up north than Simi Valley. The only part of Simi that I would consider would be Wood Ranch which borders Thousand Oaks. It is it's own city in a way with it's own market and stores within it's gates, which are not closed by the way. There is all manner of housing there as well and a golf course.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
It is it's own city in a way with it's own market and stores within it's gates, which are not closed by the way.
It is separate in a way from the rest of Simi Valley. There is a grocery store (Ralphs) and a few stores but other than that there there is nothing else. To get anything done you need to go into Simi Valley proper or Thousand Oaks. But in many cases stores are actually closer in TO than Simi Valley.

Wood Ranch has its own elementary school which is on par with the ones in Thousand Oaks. But middle/high school are in Simi Valley proper.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:46 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
It is separate in a way from the rest of Simi Valley. There is a grocery store (Ralphs) and a few stores but other than that there there is nothing else. To get anything done you need to go into Simi Valley proper or Thousand Oaks. But in many cases stores are actually closer in TO than Simi Valley.

Wood Ranch has its own elementary school which is on par with the ones in Thousand Oaks. But middle/high school are in Simi Valley proper.
Ralphs is STILL THERE? Corner Sycamore and Los Angeles Avenue?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 PM

I forgot about Sunset Hills. Is that considered T.O. or Simi?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
I forgot about Sunset Hills. Is that considered T.O. or Simi?
I believe that is TO.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 PM

Are you following me laysayfair?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:02 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Are you following me laysayfair?
Why no...where are we going next!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County