Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 09:42 PM

114 posts, read 512,019 times

Advertisements

I agree......wouldn't even think of doing that drive....not even 3 days a week! You would be in your car at least 4 hours a day!! My husband spends 2 hours a day and that hurts our family...can't imagine 4! If you really want to take the job in Pasadena, I would also recommend Simi Valley. I've lived here 27 years....not bad! Housing is expensive.... but not as much as some places. A 40 yr old 1300 sq ft house will run you about 600k! The new houses are well into the 700's. But, it is a safe place to live, and has most anything you could need.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 04:19 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,197,657 times
Default if you must

I agree that the best compromise for you and your wife, if she insists on Ventura County, is to live in Simi to commute to Pasadena.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:55 PM

33 posts, read 298,889 times
Ventura to Pasadena?? Oh heck no!! Don't do it man!!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 8,400 times
I worked at the federal court downtown LA from Westlake (right next to Thousand Oaks). 35 miles. 1.5 hours or worse by car. 1.5 hours by train, BUT could work on the train. You can take the oxnard metro link to burbank and then get on another train to pasadena---LOOOOONNNNGGGGGG Day though! You'd spend at least 4-5 hours commuting each day, definitely not worth it to me.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:17 AM

1,072 posts, read 845,004 times
The traffic situation in Los Angeles is indescribable despite the sincere efforts of the above post-ers. You must experience it yourself before committing to a commute. I'll bet if you come down for a week, stay in a lovely spot on the beach in Ventura , make your commute (getting up and ready as if going to work mind you) for 5 days straight you will very quickly change your wifes mind about livin in Ventura if you're workin in Pasadena 5 days a week. In fact, your wife may change her mind on her own after that.
There is a back way to avoid alot of the 101 but you'd have to check it out too. Of course every one else knows about it too.

Do come down and spend some time checking out other areas a bit closer. We live along the foothills of the Angeles Crest Nat'l Forest in a lovely area that is soooo guiet you'd never think you were in L.A. Racoons, quail, deer,
and 20 minutes from Pasadena on an average day. But, as is the nature of our freeways here, could stretch to an hour some days.

I empathize with your wife too tho. I grew up by the beach and had wanted to move to Ventura too if we were gonna be on this side of the hill. My husband is in the TV industry so it was a gaurenteed drive for him too. So, we drive to Ventura on the weekends when traffic is light-er. Its enough...

Life is too short to spend it on a freeway all morning and evening, and it will shorten your life if you spend so much time in traffic as a driver with time constraints of a typical job. Very unhealthy.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:41 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,335,624 times
Default Sounds Awful

My head spins to think of all the hours you'd spend on the freeway. Wow.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 38,802 times
Chatty Cathy,
Does 'Foothills of the Angeles Crest Nat'l Forest' refer to the 210 N above La Canada? I'm looking for a place to commute to La Canada, but I'm not so limited in location and the idea of commuting east/south on the 210 in the morning is much less frightening than the other way.

Are you familiar with rent levels around there? I drove into La Crescenta yesterday and I was really impressed with the place. I'm interested in hearing about that area (not necessarily just La Crescenta) from someone who lives there.

For information, I am looking for a studio/1BR--I don't need much more than a place to land at night.

witg

Old 06-15-2007, 12:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
If you could leave at 5AM you'd be at work around 6:15. The morning drive won't be bad (at that time) but it is still over 70 miles one way. The evening drive leaving a 3PM won't be that easy - probably 1.5 hours minimum with about one third to one half of the ride under 40 mph, just a guess.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:55 PM

640 posts, read 3,074,466 times
I agree... no way Jose to that commute. Not only that, I lived in Ventura for 10 years and it's a nice enough place but there are so many better places to live. She has fond childhood memories but my opinion is it's a nice place to visit. There really isn't that much to do there. I'd choose Agoura, Westlake, Thousand Oaks over Ventura any day. It's foggy, chilly and windy a lot of the time.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:15 PM

25 posts, read 77,417 times
WolfInTheGreen....I am native to the Glendale area, and currently live in Montrose, which is just below La Crescenta/La Canada, and above Glendale. It is a wonderful little town and I would recommend it to anyone! I find California expensive in general, but rent is comparative in Montrose, Glendale and La Crescenta. La Canada/Flintridge - very expensive. Pasadena is also do-able, since part of the drive is against traffic. But if you live in Pasadena, choose a place below the freeway, not above/towards the mountains. Not that great of an area. Same with parts of Altadena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County