Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 12,609 times

Advertisements

Hello to whoever may be reading this~
My husband may be getting transfered to Camarillo, CA and I'd love to hear any advice or thoughts from people who may be able to help. We have 3 daughters 9, 7, and 3. I'm so, so sad to leave my family here in Texas, but this relocation is mostly out of necessity. We lived in Scottsdale for 10 years and I have an enormous disdain for the focus on materialism there, and will do everything in my power to avoid that sort of enviornment again.

Here's what I'm specifically curious about:
schools~which are the best ones in the Thousand Oaks/Camarillo area? Any thoughts on preschools for my 3 year old?

Are there many at-home moms in the area? I'm concerned about making friendships with other parents in the area b/c the cost of living may make it difficult for most families to have one income. Where we currently are in Austin, most of my neighbors are home in the afternoon with their kids, so that makes carpools and play dates very accessible.

Weather? Is there any change of season at all? It's not like Austin has these inspiring change of seasons, but we get enough to enjoy the seasons as they are (except summers are dreadful, and I'm a native Texan even). I actually like rain sometimes and I love fall-ish type weather in the fall. Another one of the things I HATED about AZ is that every day was pretty much the same (except for summer of course): sunny and mild with not even a cloud in the sky.

Okay, that pretty much covers it. Anyone have any scoop they'd like to share? By the way, I'm already aware the cost of living is double what we're paying now. We're prepared for that, so believe it or not, I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm losing sleep over the above issues plus the tragic sadness I'll feel over leaving my extended family behind. Oh well, at least I've got a beach close by...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 03:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Where (street intersection) is your husband working?

This link below will get you started:

California School Performance Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers5 View Post
schools~which are the best ones in the Thousand Oaks/Camarillo area? Any thoughts on preschools for my 3 year old?

I recommend Growing Place Preschool in Westlake Village

Are there many at-home moms in the area?

Yes, My wife was one. You'll meet them soon enough at the preschool and through your kids' activities and neighbors.

Weather? Is there any change of season at all? It's not like Austin has these inspiring change of seasons,

Not huge change of seasons. Camarillo, Ventura, Oxnard, Santa Barbara have some of the best weather in the world. Thousand Oaks is warmer in summer but otherwise outstanding too.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:38 PM

Default Thank you Charles!

Thank for your reply! As a prospective newcomer, I feel indebted to anyone in your area who's willing to help.

Best wishes to you and your family...

Old 11-08-2008, 03:35 AM

3 posts, read 14,113 times
Camarillo is great. You will be fine and very happy. Stay away from Oxnard at night, they have gang problems there.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenZone View Post
Camarillo is great. You will be fine and very happy. Stay away from Oxnard at night, they have gang problems there.
No problems at night in most part of Oxnard. Lots of shopping and good restaurants.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:11 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,681 times
Quote:
Hello to whoever may be reading this~
My husband may be getting transfered to Camarillo, CA and I'd love to hear any advice or thoughts from people who may be able to help. ... We lived in Scottsdale for 10 years and I have an enormous disdain for the focus on materialism there, and will do everything in my power to avoid that sort of enviornment again.
First, I'm just floored that companies are moving INTO California. That just blows my mind! What business moves INTO CA these days?

Quote:
Here's what I'm specifically curious about:
Best to send kids to Conejo Valley, if possible. This site is often quoted for evaluating schools at a glance. Pleasant Valley School District is in turmoil due to the close election of Measure U (school redistricting). So far, it's failing but more votes have to be counted and it's close (hundred votes behind only!).

For staying long term (until kids graduate from high school) and sending kids to the Pleasant Valley school system and assuming Measure U fails, here's a deep inside tip in moving to Camarillo. Move east of Lewis Rd. as kids who live east of Lewis go to Cam High while people west go to Rio Mesa. Compare test scores on each school. See how far your kids will have to travel to school. After that, make your own decision.

Quote:
Are there many at-home moms in the area? I'm concerned about making friendships with other parents in the area b/c the cost of living may make it difficult for most families to have one income. Where we currently are in Austin, most of my neighbors are home in the afternoon with their kids, so that makes carpools and play dates very accessible.
There's mom groups here, as we've been in them. One issue about this area is families seem to come and go way too often compared to other areas, so friendships may be fleeting. There's a percentage of stay-at-home moms. I would be more worried about families moving OUT of California at this time, as Camarillo is becoming more gentrified / rental unit heaven.

Quote:
Weather? Is there any change of season at all? It's not like Austin has these inspiring change of seasons, but we get enough to enjoy the seasons as they are (except summers are dreadful, and I'm a native Texan even). I actually like rain sometimes and I love fall-ish type weather in the fall. Another one of the things I HATED about AZ is that every day was pretty much the same (except for summer of course): sunny and mild with not even a cloud in the sky.
Oh well, I hate to break it to you. Well, check out City Data (!) on Camarillo's weather. Very little change of seasons here (well, winter gets somewhat wetter / cooler, but NOTHING like most of the country!)

Quote:
Okay, that pretty much covers it. Anyone have any scoop they'd like to share? By the way, I'm already aware the cost of living is double what we're paying now. We're prepared for that, so believe it or not, I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm losing sleep over the above issues plus the tragic sadness I'll feel over leaving my extended family behind. Oh well, at least I've got a beach close by...
Don't know what to tell you about family. My wife's family is why I'm STAYING in Ca. As for the beach, it's really nice to look at, but the water is FREEZING!!! Bring your wet suit!

One nice thing about this area with young kids? Disneyland, Universal Studios, and MANY other kid activities IF you have the money / transportation.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:47 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I think that you will love Camarillo, Oxnard, Ventura, and Thousand Oaks. As far as the weather it is more preferable on the West side of the Conejo Grade. Meaning that everything in the Oxnard plane; Camarillo, Ventura, Oxnard, Port Hueneme have amazing weather that is cooler in the summer than the Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley side of the county. Summers will be in the 70s to 90s in Camarillo. Winters will be in the 50s to 70s.

Don't listen to the less informed about Oxnard though. Mayor Holden has done a great job of changing the gang problem in the city. Crime has declined to the point that in Ventura and Santa Barbara more crime per 1,000 residents are commited than in Oxnard.

Camarillo on the whole is a family focused community. Lots of family oriented activities. I don't have anything against the school district there although it is true that they are having issues with trying to bring Camarillo High into the system. Camarillo High is part of the Oxnard Union High School District that also includes Rio Mesa. Interesting thing is that of all the schools in the district Rio Mesa is the least crouded. Kids from Oxnard, El Rio, and Camarillo attend the High school. It is situated in a rural area surrounded by the Strickland Neighborhood to the North and Farms to the south, East and West. My son attends the school and is in all college prep classes. He has had a great time at the school and has never had an issue with gangs, crime, or any other problem that I have read about at other schools.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:04 AM

566 posts, read 1,939,443 times
Camarillo is a nice place. My mother lived there for 15 years. Can't beat the weather.

I don't get it. You are not into materialism yet you are uprooting your kids and leaving your family for job relocation? How about scale back on your lifestyle, don't put the kids in turnmoil and let them be with their family and friends in Austin. I don't see any job worth the change you are putting your family through.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:44 PM

I couldn't agree more to your comment. This is the last thing that I, personally, want. But considering the economic situation we're in, we actually don't have a choice. Unemployment at this time (with 3 kids) seems a worse option. But believe me, if I had my druthers, we'd stay right here.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 6,383 times
Can I ask if you have since moved to Camarillo? I live in Phoneix now and I am contemplating a move there with my family. Daughter 17 and son 10. I want them in a safe place and Camarillo came up a lot. I also read about a gang incident at Camarillo High School where a boy was severly beaten but was related to gang activity. My job would transfer me to Oxnard. If you have moved there could you provide me with some info on this area and if you are happy there. thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County