Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:04 PM

35 posts, read 207,834 times

Advertisements

Also: What i didnt expect till I actually moved to Ventura CA..

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,512,049 times
Best weather in the world
Many neighborhoods have character
Historic mission
Historic rincon
A place from which you really can play in the snow in the morning and go surfing in the afternoon
Good combination of family neighborhoods and singles' scene

Last edited by Charles; 05-29-2009 at 09:15 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 09:14 PM

Default wow

Great way to promptly get the feedback rolling!
I am single, so that's good to know.
Thank you.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:10 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,862,004 times
Lived in Ventura with a business 17 yrs and it's the best place to be. Good cross section of people.

You have the beach up and down the coast...the city has reached it's city limits on construction expansion so the population is in check.

I loved the weather there and after retiring came to Baja Mexico on the coast with a similiar climate.

If you like two weather seasons and can live with some smog you'll be okay in LA area.

Steve

Old 06-02-2009, 03:47 AM

I had read somewhere recently people saying avoid west Ventura, West Ventura is near the water, why might someone say this?
Any recommendations on where to live within Ventura? How far east before it gets too hot, not a fan of high heat.

Also, what are prop taxes like for homeowners. i know this isnt one of Cali's strengths generally speaking.

Thank you.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:44 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,512,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doceddie View Post
I had read somewhere recently people saying avoid west Ventura, West Ventura is near the water, why might someone say this?
Any recommendations on where to live within Ventura? How far east before it gets too hot, not a fan of high heat.

Also, what are prop taxes like for homeowners. i know this isnt one of Cali's strengths generally speaking.

Thank you.
I drove through west Ventura a couple of times. I worked out with a band there once. It seems like an older part of town with a slightly industrial look.
Take a look at google maps street view and see for yourself.

ventura, ca - Google Maps

It's probably not horrible, maybe a little grittier than other parts of Ventura.

If it means anything, the schools in that area aren't spectacular either:

California School Performance Maps

Property taxes are around 1% of assessed value, maybe slightly more like 1.1%.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:09 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,862,004 times
The area referred to is called the "Avenue" Ventura Ave...older part of the city and slightly run down...older houses...old trailer park...older busuinesses (bldgs)...street further north had some old oil wells...suppy places...besides has the old river bottom where some people lived in some yrs back and is a run off for heavy rain into the ocean. Some people might remember some yrs back where it overflowed on to the 101 Fwy and flooded the Travel trailer park at it's mouth.

Overall I liked the city...all places have a old section of town...cities start somewhere at one point.

Steve

Old 06-02-2009, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,232,290 times
West Ventura makes up a small part of the city. When the City of San BuenaVentura was started everything was near the Mission. The city built up the avenue area heading North. Everything west of Ventura Avenue is West Ventura today. It makes up maybe 5 or 6 blocks west of Ventura Avenue and five or six blocks east of the Avenue. The Avenue area heading North off of Main Street at Ventura Avenue is a small part of the city. Mostly industrial, Oilfield service companies, Kinkos used to have their corporate office there. Most of Ventura is no where near the Avenue. I have known people that have never been there. That being said many of the places are being redone. I have seen condo's go in, new shopping go in. It is a part of the city looking for a remodel. They do have the seedy areas. The Hells Angels have their club house on Fix Way off the Avenue.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,232,290 times
Let me add that Ventura Avenue is 6 to 8 miles long. North of the industrial area is some nice places to live. Lots of good views of the hillsides.

What I like about Ventura is how the downtown was revitalized. Main Street has some nice shops. I used to head down to main street eat at one of the shops and see a movie. Lots of action on the weekends. On Friday or Saturdar evening you can have some fun at many eateries. My favorites are Cafe Fiori, Winchesters, and for night clubbing the BomBay Bar and Grill.

At the harbor head on down and rent a boat for a hour, day, or till ? Lots of fun.You can rent a peddle boat, kayak, power boat. The beaches also are a blast. Near the Crown Plaza you can rent a bike, or what my kids like a 4 wheel car like bike.

The area has a lot to do. I think that you will like it.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:35 PM

640 posts, read 3,068,692 times
I'd like to put another spin on Ventura, if I may. While I do agree there are a lot of positives, I think there were many negatives too, at least for me. I lived there for 10 years and found it a little slow paced for me. There really isn't that much to do there as far as grown up entertainment goes. If you like the beach, hiking, and just your average things to do as in most small towns, you'll really enjoy life there. If not, you'll have to drive down to LA to experience the arts and entertainment. We avoided that due to the distance most of the time.

We we first moved there we found the job market pretty lean as well. Are you moving there with a job? If not, you may experience the same situation. There aren't a lot of industry jobs in the area. Small companies, education, retail, county government jobs are mostly what you'll find.

The weather can be pretty foggy especially if you live in the beach areas. I remember always being chilly when I lived there, even up in the Montalvo areas (away from the beach). But, that's just me, I prefer warmer weather.

It's a great place to raise a family, which I did while living there. There are plenty of things that kids like to do there. As far as being single adult, I can't imagine that the few decent places to hang out wouldn't get old after awhile.

Enjoying anywhere really depends on your personal tastes and your own personal situation. I just wanted to make mention of some of the the things that didn't appeal to me to put into your decision making process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County